Should I pull a Carter?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Since I have freed my self of all debt now, and am car-less, I feel the need to be more practical next time around. As in get something that will work for a larger family, but still provide me with some personal enjoyment.

As much as I would LOVE a stingray corvette or another shelby, I dont want to drive a beater car everyday so I can have one. Not to mention I wouldnt want to buy used unless it was a certified car with like 1000 miles on it. So the money spent would be huge for a vehicle I would only drive on sunny weekends.

I find myself being drawn to trucks. I have always wanted a F150 or F250 with a diesel. And me and the wife are talking about getting a travel trailer in a year or two. So the way I see it, I can trade my love of cars for trucks and enjoy offroading and towing like I enjoy drag racing.

Aside from Farter and his craptor, has anyone else gone down this road? Regrets? What would I be getting myself into if I decide to get a new-ish F250 6.7 or maybe a Ram 2500? I know the modding market for those is probably as expensive as the corvette market.

Will getting a truck fulfill my need for speed too? I mean I think those diesel trucks can run pretty fast too like 12's and whatnot. Any input would be appreicated. And yes I know diesel trucks are as expensive as corvettes, but I would get 100x more use out of a crew cab F250 than a corvette.

My whole family of 5, car seats and all would fit
Able to tow camper or boat or whatever
Offroading/towing craptors out of shallow mud holes
modding for power
"Rolling Coal" - What the fuck does this mean?
Tug of wars - Like the cool kids at lukes
People asking me to help them move
Snow hooning/plowing

What else is there?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Why no ecoboost?

11,300 towing limit.

F250 will tow 26k if I believe. The trailers fully loaded that I was looking at will murder the Ecoboost. 12k with nothing in them. Load them with pots/pans and all our shit, and it will just get worse.

We want to tow across the country on my long vacations and it would strain an ecoboost. But dont get me wrong. I love those trucks with the FX4 appearance package. They make good power and sound cool, but no 1000 torques from one of those.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Get a diesel. Do basic, minimal mods, enjoy, buy ATV, come keep up with Carter and I on the trails, wonder why you ever had a car in the first place. ;)

Sometimes I did wonder why I had a fast car. Nobody goes out and runs eachother on the street anymore like we used to back in the CSVT wolfpack days. Nowadays its just an internet dick measuring contest with cars and mods. We had the half mile event, but now thats gone too. And who wants to deal with the assholes at Byron for decent drag racing? All I ever really did with my car was haul ass around my town at midnight when all the kids and wife were asleep. All that money spent all gone now anyway with the car.

ATVs would be another awesome toy to have and the truck would make quick work of hauling that around too.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
If you are going to consider a new RAM let me know I'll get you a friend and family code... Saves about $10-15k depending on current incentives

That would be awesome. Their interiors are about the best I have heard. I see a lot of newer dodge trucks rusting all over and that makes me nervous. As i suspect, this truck I buy will need to sit outside all year. They wont fit in my garage Im sure.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
i came in thinking "pull a carter" was going to be much different.

left disapointed.

:rofl: I knew it was about the Raptor/getting a truck. I can't even think of what else this could have been.

And +1 on the Rams rusting out. I see 07-08 Rams rusting as bad as a fucking 70 Charger I saw for sale that's been outside it's whole life. Either the owners are beating the utter piss out of those things or Dodge fucked up somewhere.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
That would be awesome. Their interiors are about the best I have heard. I see a lot of newer dodge trucks rusting all over and that makes me nervous. As i suspect, this truck I buy will need to sit outside all year. They wont fit in my garage Im sure.

A lot of people treat their truck like a truck and only wash then maybe twice a year... The newest body style
(2012 +) I believe they took the rust issue into consideration

this apply to anyone ? :jg:

Sure... I get 6 a year

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Me like this.

photo0-960x560w.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I drove the trucks for measured testing in many of the categories. RAM and Chevrolet are so far ahead of Ford in terms of ride quality it's not even funny. Granted, I'm sure truck buyers want that truck-like ride quality, but it's amazing how SUV-like even the one-ton RAM rides.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Plus, when i think of "pulling a Carter" I imagine you planning a rebellion or walking into starbucks with a AR cursing Obama while pistol whipping liberals.

Nice. lol.

:carter:

Im telling you guys the ram rust thing really bothers me. I dont know if I could spend $65k on a truck that should last for 20 years, just to have it rust to nothing after 5. Makes me nervous.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info