1987 Suburban "Restoration"

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So, as a lot of you know I picked up an '87 Suburban early this year. Over the past 6-7 months I've done a lot of little things to make it daily drivable and improve on its overall condition. Truck came here from Stockton, CA. in March of this year and I bought it shortly after when the guy that bought and shipped it here decided he didn't need another project.

Here's the pics from the CL ad. This is what I knew going to look at it...

And here's some right after I picked it up. Paint was decent and the P/O tried to buff it, but, didn't really know what the hell he was doing.

Well, since I've had it I've done the following;

-Fixed the A/C front and rear
-Fluid flush all around
-Rebuilt front axle with all new bearings, brakes, hubs, seals and gaskets
-Rear brakes and wheel cylinders.
-Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. New fuel filter, o2 sensor and cat-delete.

Last friday I dropped it off with a guy I know from the Oldsmobile community. He's very good with acrylic laquor and other classic paint restoration. I asked him to do full paint correction on the truck, remove any of the larger dents on the truck, have a pint of touch up paint made, remove bodyside molding and emblems and reinstall the window visors. I decided to keep the roof rack off because I like the look without it, but, may change my mind down the road. For now I put plugs in all the roof holes to keep it water tight.

Here's how it looked before I dropped it off. You can see the cloudiness in the paint pretty well in this pic.

And here's how it came out this morning when I picked it up :riski:

I'll get more pictures later. These are on my iPhone and it really doesn't do the work he did justice.

And the current To-Do List;

-Install new OEM Bodyside Moldings
-Install Reproduction Fender and rear emblems
-Find a replacement drivers door panel (someone did a shit job dying a blue door panel gray)
-New drivers seat. Either replace bucket or get a front bench.
-Find and install 3rd row seat.
-Shampoo carpet (or replace... Not sure what is the better option yet)
-New dash pad as the California sun did a number on the original.
-New heater core (will be done with dash)
-New speakers (will also be done with dash and heater core)
-New wheels and tires. Going with original ralley wheels with chrome rings and center caps with 33x12.5-15 General Grabber AT2's.

All of that should be done by spring... After that I'll pretty much consider it done for the time being. After that I'd like to squeak a bit more power from the stock engine, but, that's not a priority.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Looks pretty kick ass. Any plans for the wheels?

Edit. I read the rest of your post.

haha! Yes, probably closer to spring to be honest as it's going to sit in storage all winter. I'm not going to let it sit on brand new rubber!

These are the wheels.

ky-k5-52921-albums-1987-k5-4526-picture-topped-18426.jpg

I doubt they're what came on the truck from the factory given it's a "Silverado" package, but, I think they look the best and are wide enough for the 12.5" wide tire. The tires on it now are 33x12.5's, but, they're from the early 2000's and have exceeded their useful life lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Holy shit dude. Thats quite the paint correction.

You'll see it tonight if I make it to DD, or Luke's for sure tomorrow. Pictures don't begin to do it justice. It's incredible.

Can it go faster now? :mamoru:

Yeah... I didn't tell you? That complete lack of power was due to an $8 fuel filter I neglected to change when I did the initial tune up. Fuckin' bullshit man :rofl:

You can see in the one pic it's towing the dirt track car on a steel trailer... no fucking way on God's green earth it would even think of doing that before lmfao!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It looks damn good now with the paint the way it is... I can't wait to see it with the new, non cracked and peeling bodyside moldings and new and matching emblems. There's a fair amount of small dents throughout the body of the truck that I'm more than likely not going to repair, so, I think between the moldings and putting a pinstripe on the body line it'll really help to draw attention away from the dents and dings.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
late model driveline swap ? seems like with a truck that solid putting a 6.0/4l80 combo in it would make it a fantastic tow rig and up the power quite a bit

That was my initial plan... But, I'm getting kinda burnt out on all the LS swapped stuff out there. I'm going to stay with a SBC, up the power a bit and potentially switch the 700r4 for a TH400 with a gear vendors OD unit. This truck only needs to tow roughly 4,000#'s. (Up to four ATV's on an open trailer) as it's going to be used for my "adventure trips" and is more comfortable than my half-cab Sierra for 4 passengers and gear.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
These Burbans are so sick. Looks great too. I'd leave moldings off.

Thanks! I agree about the molding... except at some point the truck was repainted and they decided not to keep the original two-tone blue/grey. You can see in the last pics of it buffed there is a small strip of gray that wasn't painted as they did not remove the moldings. Since I don't want to repaint any part of it, I'm going to replace the moldings. Down the road I may add the stripe again, but, for now the OEM bodyside molding and some hand painted pin striping is all that will adorn the truck lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
this pic particularly i remember the boat

IMG_5147_zps292e6bdc.jpg

I'm trying to remember what kind of boat that was... The dude literally had over 100 cars, sleds, ATV's, boats, etc. in a huge warehouse in the city... It's going to be me when I'm 65+... Minus the city part :rofl:

I made a quick walk around video of the truck. It's uploading now.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I'm trying to remember what kind of boat that was... The dude literally had over 100 cars, sleds, ATV's, boats, etc. in a huge warehouse in the city... It's going to be me when I'm 65+... Minus the city part :rofl:

I made a quick walk around video of the truck. It's uploading now.

what else does he have in the garage ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info