Help me pick a new DD

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Alright I am looking to pick up a new daily driver for the winter. I have a limit of $8500 to spend on the vehicle.

Some background: I do a lot of fishing and camping with my son so I need some cargo room. I also drive 35 miles to work on crappy unplowed country roads.

I really want an extended cab truck that is 4x4. I am constantly asking friend to borrow their trucks and it gets a little old. The more I have shopped around though, the more I am coming to the realization that $8500 doesn't get the greatest truck. Now I am leaning towards a Subaru wagon. Gets good gas mileage, has a lot of cargo room, but lacks the ability to haul stuff in the bed. I am not familiar with these cars so if anyone has any input on them let me know.

Any suggestions appreciated for vehicles.

Thanks

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'd talk to the credit union.... You'll honestly be better off having $6,500 to send private party then having to go through some crook dealer....

I paid $5,200 for my 2003 Sierra Z71 4x4 (facelifted and updated interior) with 160,000 miles on it. Truck is closing in on 200,000 RAPIDLY and runs perfect.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
After hearing all of this I am going to talk to them today. I don't have an age limit more or less a mileage limit. I would like to keep it under 150,000. This is through Navy Federal Credit Union and on the phone they said that the interest rate will be lower if I did it the way I did.

I have pretty much stopped looking for a truck. I have moved to an SUV because you can get a lot more for the money. Which makes no sense to me because they are pretty much the same platform.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Pre 2003 Expeditions are absolute tanks, and can be had all day for beans. 0...4? Went IRS, and is rated to tow more, but is notoriously not as stable.

Alternativily, LS powered GM SUV's are also tanks, but obviously are priced at a premium.

I know a few people here have these, and I think it falls into your price range, how do you feel about the 5.3 powered trail blazer? Could get a newer/lower mileage one of those than say a Tahoe for the same money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info