WTF is up with people and this "crawl" mode.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Every once in a while, particularly on the Focus Forums it seems, I see someone refer to "Thank X for X mode". Sometimes they call it crawl mode, or another term like that.

They are thinking the PCM has a "special" mode for allowing the car to idle while in gear.

What is up with that? Its just the PCM attempting to maintain its commanded idle, be it in gear or not in gear.

:gayy:

Every manual car I've ever driven I've been able to simply put the car into gear, and slowly release the clutch. In my G6 I could do it, and get the car up to nearly 40mph without ever touching the gas. I'd just slowly release the clutch, shift, repeat until the car went as fast as it could without a touch of throttle.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
its a start or hill assist, and its for people who otherwise couldnt operate a toaster without a few weeks practice

ST does have hill assist, it applies the brakes if a level sensor detects you are facing up a hill, but the PCM will only hold that for about 15 seconds. After that it releases the brakes. Its more jarring than anything. Because its laggy. Several times when it was enabled I'd release the brake and go to take off, only the car would stutter and stall because the brakes didn't release, and I hadn't given it enough throttle to overcome that. Thankfully, it can be disabled and it stays disabled.

But there is no "crawl" mode to enable the car to idle while in gear.

The PCM contains tables for clutch anticipation. If you depress the clutch at idle and put the car in 1st gear it temporarily raises idle to prevent a stall, but its so weak that it would stall it anyways unless you apply throttle.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
When they are talking about "X whatever ", are they talking about it with the auto trans ? Because focus' s and fiestas have an electronically shifted manual trans that ford calls an auto trans. . For safety reasons ford had to have some kind of system so the car does not roll back too far if you are in Drive and stopped on a hill . (Hill assist)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
When they are talking about "X whatever ", are they talking about it with the auto trans ? Because focus' s and fiestas have an electronically shifted manual trans that ford calls an auto trans. . For safety reasons ford had to have some kind of system so the car does not roll back too far if you are in Drive and stopped on a hill . (Hill assist)

In this case, they are referring to the Focus ST, in particular.

On the Focus ST forums its a common "myth" that people accept as a whole that the Focus ST comes with a "creeper", or "Crawler" mode to allow you to move along in 1st gear.

No matter how many times I've explained the actual reason it happens in the posts, they continue to call it a "special" feature, under the impression that its a "new" feature that only the ST had.

:bowrofl:

The same goes for Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off, they can't understand that just about every EFI car in the past 30 years has disabled the injectors under deceleration while in gear because the extra fuel was causing cat converters to overheat. It also has a net benefit on fuel economy.

Also, the hill start assist only engages in VERY specific circumstances. You must be in neutral, on the brake. Then you step on the clutch, and put the car in first gear. Then it will hold the brake for about 15 seconds. If you put the car in gear, take it out of gear, then put it in gear Hill Start disables itself thinking its not needed. It doesn't kick in all the time.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
In this case? They are calling the ability to idle while in gear "crawl mode".

Which is just the PCM maintaining commanded idle despite a light load.

If thats crawl mode, then my TransAm running an LT1/A4 F-body tune could do it with a T56 and a SES light because it couldn't find the transmission.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You could get a G6 to 40mph without touching the gas? wat

Yep, clutch, shift, wait till engine speed reaches about 1000rpm, shift again, repeat until the car wouldn't accelerate any longer. Which was about 40mph in 6th gear. You wouldn't want to be behind me when I did that though, the acceleration was terrible. The PCM would just open the blades up till it reached about 1000rpm then stay there.

Commanded idle speed was 900rpm. And the 3.9L had enough torque down low to do it. Altogether a pretty smooth engine.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Yep, clutch, shift, wait till engine speed reaches about 1000rpm, shift again, repeat until the car wouldn't accelerate any longer. Which was about 40mph in 6th gear. You wouldn't want to be behind me when I did that though, the acceleration was terrible. The PCM would just open the blades up till it reached about 1000rpm then stay there.

Commanded idle speed was 900rpm. And the 3.9L had enough torque down low to do it. Altogether a pretty smooth engine.

That's pretty impressive, didn't realize that engine would have enough power at low rpms to do that.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
That's pretty impressive, didn't realize that engine would have enough power at low rpms to do that.

It wasn't fast, my best was a 15.0 @ 94mph, but it had a very wide power band. Peak torque was something like 240lb/ft @ 2800rpm, and peak power was 240hp @ 6000rpm. So the powerband was very wide. It always felt like it was in a right gear. The car was also heavy despite just being a 2 door coupe. Its wheelbase was 112" long, so for being a "midsize" car it actually had a big wheelbase, which is where most of its 3550lbs came from. So the fact that it got down the strip at 94mph with almost 3750lbs race weight is actually a decent showing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info