Oil Change Shop Reviews

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My Caddy needed an oil change so, in my ongoing search to find a decent shop, I tried Grease Monkey which is close to my home.

Review: They overcharged for the (synthetic) oil change and gave me a minimal discount when I pointed this out to them.

I noticed at the time that they did not mention my needing a new air filter (which I did need). Why? I have an idea now. The car started running rough immediately after the oil change. I didn't put two and two together until today. Eventually the car threw a P0174 code which is a lean bank code. One of the causes of this code is unmetered air coming in past the MAF. After I opened the hood to look for an air/vacuum leak, I discovered that the clamp where the air intake meets the block was completely loose. AH! There's my air leak.

Wait a minute? Why is this clamp loose? Nobody besides me has been under the hood for months... Except for the oil change shop. I'm guessing they started out to check the air filter, couldn't figure out how to get to the filter box, took the clamp loose to try to pry the entire air intake off and then gave up without remembering to tighten the clamp. Fits the facts, Jack.

Local Port Charlotte Grease Monkey rating? FAIL

Good news is the car is running silky smooth after tightening the clamp.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
So stick a Chicago oil change review in here.

Plus, you never know. You might be driving down here in Port Charlotte, need an oil change and see Grease Monkey. Now, you will steer away and be happy.

Did I mention they originally wanted $90 for the oil change? Even with 7 1/2 quarts of synthetic, that's crazy high.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Valvoline Instant Oil Change (think it used to be called Oil Works) in Elgin by the theater.

Used to take all my cars there. Car guys. Great to talk with. Discounts often. Havent been there in some time since moving to the east side but always had total confidence letting them touch my cars.

Ill also give a thumbs up to Brittain's Express Oil on Larkin in Elgin. Good pricing. Polite and knowledgeable. Have been changing my moms oil for years and years. Never a bad experience.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So far, Devo has been the only shop to change the oil.

The Cobra, Tim Barth / Modular Powerhouse did the one and only change on that car (when the whipple went on). No wait, I tried Brittain's but the car was too low and the exhaust was hitting the bay. Valvoline did a change once for me.

Rest of cars I didnt give enough of a shit about :mamoru:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm usually wearing a suit or dress clothes now and it's too much work to change into appropriate attire, drag out a floor jack, break out the oil change tools, pick up the parts and oil and then get started. I'd rather zip in and zip out and flip them the card.

It's my work car Caddy, not my old Cobra.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
So stick a Chicago oil change review in here.

Plus, you never know. You might be driving down here in Port Charlotte, need an oil change and see Grease Monkey. Now, you will steer away and be happy.

Did I mention they originally wanted $90 for the oil change? Even with 7 1/2 quarts of synthetic, that's crazy high.

That is what we charge here for Synthetic. 89.95 :dunno:

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
With as big a chain as Grease Monkey is, the only product they'd have tanks for is most likely the conventional 5w30/5w20 that they do the cheap as fuck oil changes with. Synthetics probably come out of smaller containers...could be quarts/6 gallon boxes/maybe drums, judging by my customers. Hence the price jack.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I used to take the TA to Oil Depot in Naperville near Washington and 87th. Good bunch of guys and the staff hasn't changed in the past few years so it's nice seeing familiar faces and having a whole shop recognize the car. They let me tighten a few things under the car before track days and also let me climb into the pit to grease the car's fittings with my own grease. I don't remember how much the synthetic oil changes were but they did charge extra for a Mobil filter. I usually bring my own filter and they're good with it. Owner even offered to let me use the shop's tire rotation lift on the weekends to do any work. There's usually a car or two out front for sale the owner (Mopar guy) buys, fixes up and turns around.

Oil Depot - Naperville, IL | Yelp

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I used to take the TA to Oil Depot in Naperville near Washington and 87th. Good bunch of guys and the staff hasn't changed in the past few years so it's nice seeing familiar faces and having a whole shop recognize the car. They let me tighten a few things under the car before track days and also let me climb into the pit to grease the car's fittings with my own grease. I don't remember how much the synthetic oil changes were but they did charge extra for a Mobil filter. I usually bring my own filter and they're good with it. Owner even offered to let me use the shop's tire rotation lift on the weekends to do any work. There's usually a car or two out front for sale the owner (Mopar guy) buys, fixes up and turns around.

Oil Depot - Naperville, IL | Yelp

Good to know. They are right by my house and I need an oil change for my Mustang.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Was taking my cars to my buddies Firestone on Dempster in Niles. Usually he was short handed and would do the oil changes for me. They use Kendall semi-synth for their "cheap" oil, which apparently shares the same manufacturer for Ford's Motorcraft semi-synth. Good enough for me. Problem is he moved to Lee St in Des Plaines, and that's way the fuck out of the way for me to go. Living in an apartment sucks, because I'd rather do it myself. :fu:

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I let my dealer do mine since it's free and I don't know any local places that sells Subaru oil. Twice I was in/out in under 20 minutes. Also I've used the Meineke in Carol Stream since my cousin works there and he just lets me use the lifts or Untamed in Schaumburg since the owner is a subaru guy.

Some of the oil change places buy it in bulk. Some don't. Last time I bought Mobil 1 it was $6 something a quart at Samsclub.

$25 to buy the 5 gallon jugs at walmart. then ~$5 for the single gallon It's what I use for our chevy's.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I change my own oil, cause I'm a man. My review is that I don't like not having the creeper move me directly to where I need to be plus sometimes oil gets on my hands. I always get the kind of oil I want and filter for the price I want. The service charge is just a bottle of water. Pretty much in and out fairly quickly, I get the job done and get to check out other stuff while it's draining, sometimes I flush a clean quart through to help move the old stuff out.
For oil disposal I just pour out my catch into some old laundry detergent bottles and bring em to my friends dad's house where he keeps a storage tank. He gets paid when it's full and the truck comes and pumps it out.

Five stars out of 6 I would rate myself.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I use Brad Penn oil in the Camaro. Regular cheap high mileage synthetic in the daily. So you telling me that the time spent sitting at a oil change place waiting for the oil to be replaced is better spent time? You could do it yourself at home in the same amount of time. I'm calling BS on your theory and going to slap it with a lazy sticker.

And to cover my tracks I will add in the time you spend driving to an oil change facility and the time at the service desk as wasted time as well. When you could've just picked up oil while grocery shopping and changed it at home while with your family.

BAM!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info