Chevy 1500 P/U 4.8 vs 5.3

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I've begun looking to replace my Trailblazer and am interested in the half ton crew cab pick ups, I know the 5.3 is a decent motor in these trucks minus the D.O.D. however I'm coming across a lot of used ones with the 4.8l, so far online reviews say its a decent motor that powers the truck well with the takeaway being loss of towing. Now I'm not in need of a tow rig, just would like more room and a pick up bed for my weekend warrior trips to Home Depot, Curious to see who here owns half ton chevy's with either of these motors and get their ideas as which they prefer and why?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
The 5.3 is a workhorse. It has proved itself as the go to engine that lasts. The 4.8 has a hair less power/tq (same block) but is also a workhorse. Couldn't go wrong with either unless you plan on towing a lot for sure, then go 5.3 or throw a turbo on the 4.8 ;)

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
lol not looking to turbo, the wife and i are talking about a pop up or some sort of pull behind r/v trailer. however in the 6 years i've had my tb i've never come close to needing to tow more than that could handle, i feel like i'm talking myself into liking the idea of the 4.8 but it seems like it would suit me well

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
hmm I think I'm going to spend the few extra bucks and look for the 5.3 z71 model, I believe the z71 has the g80 locker with the 3.73, i have that in my blazer now and it has done well. I'm looking to have this new truck from around 20-40k miles till around 200,000 miles.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
It'll go 200,000 easy with regular maintenance

I'm amazed by how easy it is these days. My trailblazer has the 4.2l. and with 140,000 it still drives like it did with 30,000 miles. If my life style hasn't changed and i wasn't filling the back of it with crap I'd probably keep it but these new trucks are nice.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
hmm I think I'm going to spend the few extra bucks and look for the 5.3 z71 model, I believe the z71 has the g80 locker with the 3.73, i have that in my blazer now and it has done well. I'm looking to have this new truck from around 20-40k miles till around 200,000 miles.

all trucks are different. i'd just make sure to look at the vin code dealio in the glovebox.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
if your looking for bed space, the extended cab has just that much more room. i had a crew cab and i found the bed to be not long long enough. when i get another, it will be an extended cab not a crew. food for thought..

Correct, extended cab has had a 6'-6" bed and the crew cab has a 5'-6" or 5'-8" something along those lines

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My buddy had a regular cab 14 v6 loaner for a week. I drove it and thought it had the 5.3 in it till he popped the hood. It was very comparable to my 2001 5.3 with 3.73. I was surprised.

because that new v6 has more hp and torque than the old 5.3 had.

it's a sweet engine that i think isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
if your looking for bed space, the extended cab has just that much more room. i had a crew cab and i found the bed to be not long long enough. when i get another, it will be an extended cab not a crew. food for thought..

what sort of stuff are you talking?

more often than not, i personally have people in my back seat, or am roadtripping somehwere in my truck- in that case i love having the extra room behind me. i haven't really yet had a time where i was upset my truck bed wasn't bigger... tie down straps and opening the tailgate goes a long way.

when i was searching for a hauler, my one stipulation was it had to be 4wd. I know not everyone agrees with it being a necessity, but it is definitely an added benefit. not sure if its important to you, but just something to think about

:werd:

but at hte same time don't write off two wheel drive trucks.

after having mine now, with the locker and driving through the snowiest winter ever last year on snow tires with just a bit of weight in the bed, it couldn't have gone better or been easier. not once did i wish i had 4wd last year.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
what sort of stuff are you talking?

more often than not, i personally have people in my back seat, or am roadtripping somehwere in my truck- in that case i love having the extra room behind me. i haven't really yet had a time where i was upset my truck bed wasn't bigger... tie down straps and opening the tailgate goes a long way.

:werd:

but at hte same time don't write off two wheel drive trucks.

after having mine now, with the locker and driving through the snowiest winter ever last year on snow tires with just a bit of weight in the bed, it couldn't have gone better or been easier. not once did i wish i had 4wd last year.

what locker you got? I may need to get this for my 2WD

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I'm sticking to 4wd. The wife will drive this as well and I can imagine how much fun she'll have with a lite ass end. I want the crew as well because we are talking kids in the next few years. The prices between low mile used trucks and brand new are only a few grand. Might just buy a new 4.3 crew

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info