Sub $20k AWD DD

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
After moving into my apartment, it's become clear that the Mustang isn't going to cut it once winter hits. I'd like to get something that will handle the snow a little better, as well as be more forgiving in traffic. Looked at some 2009ish A4 Quattros, 2011 Infiniti G37x's, and Subaru Legacies. Anybody have an idea of a reliable car with AWD that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain? Looking in the 15-20k price range, preferably something that doesn't have a ton of miles.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
My wife has a G37x. The VQ is bulletproof and will last literally forever. I have a buddy that literally does zero maintenance on his VQ Maxima and the engine keeps running strong.

The things that bug me with the G are:

1. Somewhat dated looking interior. The Q50 is a huge upgrade.
2. Rattles. If it’s still under warranty the dealer will work with you.
3. Transmission: The 7 speed auto programming has been upgraded multiple times. Make sure it has the most current version which fixes harsh shifting in some situations
4. Front Brakes: Warp easily. There is a TSB out if the car is under warranty to repair this.

Other than that, it’s been a great car though you will have a hard time finding a nice 2011+ G37X under 20K. If they are priced cheap, make sure to look at the history. Infiniti dealerships use G37’s as loaner cars.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
I considered them, but I'd assume it would be rolling the dice trying to find one that hasn't been fucked up by some idiot teenager. Plus I'm not saying it has to be a fast car.

For $15-20k you can easily get one that's not beat... Hell you could even get an sti - those hardly have any issues... I would look at an 09+ wrx and would not worry - also look into Forrester XT - basically just a taller wrx but most people don't mod them

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
For $15-20k you can easily get one that's not beat... Hell you could even get an sti - those hardly have any issues... I would look at an 09+ wrx and would not worry - also look into Forrester XT - basically just a taller wrx but most people don't mod them

I'm actually talking to a couple of our used sales guys that owe me some favors or are tight with me on his behalf tomorrow. We've got a lot packed with late model scoobs and skyactives they're dying to clear out.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Was going to say I had snow tires on the Mazda 3 and I was beating my roommates legacy out of the alleys.

:dunno:

had plenty of friends in highschool run snow tires and had absolutely no issues with it. they actually get out of the hole very well on snows.

It's not even Just about out of the hole traction... Stopping and turning are 10x better with snow tires... I always thought it was BS until I had a set on my old civic... Then I put a set on my old Forrester... Night and day difference!

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Snow tires are great. Thats is how I've been driving Z28 Camaro's all year around since 1995. Car just plows though snow, turns, and stops better than cars either Wrong wheel drive or AWD cars with shitty all season tires. Really the best inexpensive AWD systems are the Suby's and It doesn't have to be a WRX either. You can get a normal Impreza.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
The major issue is the entrance to the alley, which is shaped like a valley of assholes, lined with parked cars. But after the moving truck next door moved, there's another way out that isn't quite as awful. I guess I'll try to find some snow tires for my 19's and go that route for now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info