Looking for a new DD - Dumping the SRX

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
After realizing in order to keep my srx long term, I would need to put many thousands of dollars aside for major repairs. We've starting looking at selling it off and picking up a more fuel efficient, smaller, and more fun car (if available) for myself.

Just browsing CL, there's not much that I want to pay for with cash, except I ran across a 2005 Ion Redline with 82k miles asking $4,000. One owner, no tears, dents, stains, rust, a few scratches. I usually wouldn't go for a coupe anymore, but the rear suicide doors seem to be OK to access the rear seats.

Does this seem to be a good deal or I mistaken on the Saturn market? Also, anyone ever own one for DD duty? I think @KJ had one IIRC.

Any other suggestions to look at? Looking for something with 4-ish doors, decent MPG, and not too sore on the eyes. Fun to drive is a plus...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My brother drives KJ's old car. They're not the pretiest of cars but they're pretty reliable. My other brother has an SS/SC cobalt and his has been trouble free. My brother might be looking to unload his redline sometime soon for an s2000 (fuck yea). IDK if you'd be enticed.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
My brother drives KJ's old car. They're not the pretiest of cars but they're pretty reliable. My other brother has an SS/SC cobalt and his has been trouble free. My brother might be looking to unload his redline sometime soon for an s2000 (fuck yea). IDK if you'd be enticed.

Glad to hear they are having no troubles with their RL and SS/SC. Unfortunately, I'm buying out here in CA, but good luck to your brother if he decides to sell.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You've got the worst luck with cars... I've owned 2 SS/SCs, Matt's owned 2, and Syp had 1 and none of us had issues with ours :rofl:

That Ion RL is a good deal IMO.

Lower control arm bushings were replaced on my car twice before i got it, they did some power steering recall and reinstalled my steering wheel incorrectly, my heated seats would randomly come on and not turn off.....

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
hmmm...

[MENTION=127]wombat[/MENTION] How did the dart's front seats/space compare to your cobalt's?

i'm 6'5" and 225 or so right now... like a 36" inch waist... it's snug. but i fit.

I had one for a couple years and it was pretty fun, the shift knob would randomly pop off and once the guts of the shifter came out with it and locked it in reverse other than that no problems

ya this happened to mine too until i sold it to [MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION]'s lil bro and i gorilla glued the fuck out of it to get it to stay on.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
i'm 6'5" and 225 or so right now... like a 36" inch waist... it's snug. but i fit.

ya this happened to mine too until i sold it to [MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION]'s lil bro and i gorilla glued the fuck out of it to get it to stay on.

Hasn't come off yet, but my brother drives like an old man. BTW, @Kay Jay did you know the Saturn is like almost 500lbs lighter than the Cobalt because of all the plastic-ness it has? I didn't know that until a couple days ago trying to figure out why the Redline is just as fast as the pretty well modded SS/SC balt my other brother has.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Hasn't come off yet, but my brother drives like an old man. BTW, @Kay Jay did you know the Saturn is like almost 500lbs lighter than the Cobalt because of all the plastic-ness it has? I didn't know that until a couple days ago trying to figure out why the Redline is just as fast as the pretty well modded SS/SC balt my other brother has.

:rofl: i had no idea.

that's awesome.

and fwiw. there is no chance it will come off :rofl:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Would be nice if that Ion ends up available. That's a great price to be honest, if the condition matches the mileage.

Check the rear sills for rust. Make sure (if you can) that the recalls, TSBs and early quirks were taken care of (Alignment, LCA's, P/S, Intercooler Wiring and such) and naturally, that maintenance has been kept up with.

The ecotec is considered by many to be one of the god motors of the four cylinder world for a few reasons. The Getrags they bolted up to them are stout gearboxes as well. Treat it right and it'll return the favor for ages.

If you want to find or ask more on the Delta platform, go browse around Ecotecforum.com. I'll warn you now to stay FAR, far the fuck away from redlineforums however. Biggest bunch of retards, mouth-breathers, bolt-on racecar gods and creeps you'll find in the extended GM family. cobaltss.com is slightly better, but the population tends toward the highschooler end of the spectrum. It's called the shortbus for a reason.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info