Decided to get back in to dirt track racing!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
As some of you may know, I used to race dirt track at Sycamore Speedway. I took the 2012 and '13 season off due to lack of time with my old job. Well, now that I'm not working weekends anymore, two buddies of mine and myself decided to go big or go home and purchase a Super Late-Model race car.

The car is a 2005 CJ Rayburn chassis using a 1st gen Camaro front stub. (Not a 4-bar car). The engine is a 383ci SBC. Modified 3-speed Chevy transmission with a Sonic tripe-disc clutch holding the two together and a Winters Performance quick-change rear end putting just under 600 ponies down to the clay.

We've been busting ass to get the car ready for the past two weeks and can see the light at the end of the tunnel! We hope to put her on the dyno this week for some final tuning and have it at Sycamore Friday for testing. If all goes well we will be racing the car Saturday!

Here's some pictures and videos of the car as it sits. After the dyno I'll have some updated pics/vids with the nose of the car on as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9dsFxHSuwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1FqwIGJiDs

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Nice. I don't know shit about dirt racing but it is fun to watch. A friend of mine races ARCA and super late model at illiana and grundy but their cars are all top notch and shit. Big dog stuff. You wouldn't mind me asking what you paid for that car would ya?

Htguxjb.jpg

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Nice! I've been doing a lot of research about this. I want to get a car for out there also. I don't get Sycamore's rules for SLM. Like this one.

3) BODIES
A. All cars must be STOCK appearing, full bodies, neat and clean. Badly mutilated, damaged or unsightly cars are not permitted. Maximum width 80 inches. NO Corvette Bodies.

To me, that sounds like a Monte or Camaro body or of the sort. But you have to me a modified body.

And from what I read, their payouts ain't shit.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Awesome! I love dirt track racing.
Come to LaSalle speedway one night I'll root for ya or help in the pits.

Anyone who hasnt experenced dirt track should go. It's a blast

We plan on traveling with this car. I'll keep you and this thread updated with our upcoming races. We're going to spend the rest of '14 getting the car dialed in and planning out our '15 season races.

Nice. I don't know shit about dirt racing but it is fun to watch. A friend of mine races ARCA and super late model at illiana and grundy but their cars are all top notch and shit. Big dog stuff. You wouldn't mind me asking what you paid for that car would ya?

Htguxjb.jpg

I go to Springfield every year for the ARCA races at the Mile. That's an awesome class I'd love to get into someday.

We're in this car just over $10,000 split amongst us. Pretty good deal for a newer chassis. Also, the engine is 100% fresh for this year.

Nice! I've been doing a lot of research about this. I want to get a car for out there also. I don't get Sycamore's rules for SLM. Like this one.

To me, that sounds like a Monte or Camaro body or of the sort. But you have to me a modified body.

And from what I read, their payouts ain't shit.

For Late-Model that makes sense, but isn't the case for super-late cars. This car ran '07-'11 at Sycamore and fits their rules and regulations 100%.

Their rules are somewhat tricky to understand, but from past experience I know to just call with any grey areas lol. And yes, payouts aren't shit, but neither are the entry fees and pit passes. It's meant to be inexpensive, but, it carries over. I also have sponsorships in the works so that should help increase our overall budget. Afco shocks are already on board and working on some locals as well.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
For Late-Model that makes sense, but isn't the case for super-late cars. This car ran '07-'11 at Sycamore and fits their rules and regulations 100%.

Their rules are somewhat tricky to understand, but from past experience I know to just call with any grey areas lol. And yes, payouts aren't shit, but neither are the entry fees and pit passes. It's meant to be inexpensive, but, it carries over. I also have sponsorships in the works so that should help increase our overall budget. Afco shocks are already on board and working on some locals as well.

Yea, I sent them an email with a link to the car I was looking to buy, they said the car was a modified but could be converted. Which I simply asked if that mean no open front wheel and they said yup. So I could just put a MD3 nose on it and be done.

It also looks that they are paying out a $1000 now for the dash. Sponsors was a big thing I was looking at also.

I don't know if you heard of it, but there's a BIG boy track Fairbury Speedway down off of 55 that has some major payouts. But those dude are into it big money.

They have open and create classes.

Fairbury American Legion Speedway - Payouts

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've got family that race in Beaver dam WI on dirt track. It is a boat to watch! Similar car set up. I think he is in class sport mod. Limited to 500 hp I think he said. Nothing like the sound of 10 open header chevys racing the Oval

Nice! I have to check out some of the other local tracks around the northwest...

Are we to expect a (fairly large) TCG decal?

:trollface:

Yep. I'm going to be doing graphics sooner or later :)

I love the name! :rofl:

What name? Lol

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Nice! I used to run a caprice out at sycamore a lot... And did a bunch of demos and rollover contests - love that shit!

The problem was sycamore stopped enforcing the rules about intentional crashes... Started going through a car a week and said F that... To much time and work for that shit - hope they got their shit straightened out!

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
My family started racing sprint cars before I was born. I grew up near Pittsburgh PA so I spent the entire summer racing at Lernerville Speedway, Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, and Sharon Motor Speedway until I left home and moved here to Chicago.

My parents used to sneak my brother and I into the pits in a beer cooler when we were little. (Hey I didn't say I had the best or smartest parents) but I had more fun than any of my friends at school ever had. I grew up thinking it was normal to have a race car in the garage. Once the dirt gets in your blood it's like an incurable disease or a crack addiction.

Frank you mind if I stop by the track and help out a time or two?

Lernerville.com - Home of Fab Four Racing Friday Night's
New Page 1
Sharon Speedway

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
My family started racing sprint cars before I was born. I grew up near Pittsburgh PA so I spent the entire summer racing at Lernerville Speedway, Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, and Sharon Motor Speedway until I left home and moved here to Chicago.

My parents used to sneak my brother and I into the pits in a beer cooler when we were little. (Hey I didn't say I had the best or smartest parents) but I had more fun than any of my friends at school ever had. I grew up thinking it was normal to have a race car in the garage. Once the dirt gets in your blood it's like an incurable disease or a crack addiction.

Frank you mind if I stop by the track and help out a time or two?

Lernerville.com - Home of Fab Four Racing Friday Night's
New Page 1
Sharon Speedway

Funny you mention that. I grew up the same way. Every weekend was spent at Mahoning Valley Speedway, Oreville kart club and Evergreen park.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info