When to upgrade U Joints?

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
What power level should you start looking at upgrading your u - joints from the stock factory ones? Does anyone recommend a good brand to look at when upgrading the u-joints?

I heard the bearings in them tend to break up over time from stress and eventually turn to dust leaving lots of play or loose ends. This could cause power loss and driveline failure. I'm talking about upgrading before the symptoms of the u-joints going bad arise.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just get non greasable, solid cross shaft oem driveshaft replacement u joints
Dana Spicer/ perfect circle or whatever.
you should probably replace the whole driveshaft before you go worrying about just replacing the u joints undoubtedly your drive shaft has rust pitting and may well be the out of balance.

you may want to consider a carbon fiber driveshaft

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
you should probably replace the whole driveshaft before you go worrying about just replacing the u joints undoubtedly your drive shaft has rust pitting and may well be the out of balance.

you may want to consider a carbon fiber driveshaft

Unless someone has money to burn a CF driveshaft is the last thing they should be buying.

If you worry about your stock driveshaft, the cheapest route is to move to a LS1 driveshaft be it steel or aluminum. There are plenty of people running those making way more power than he is.

I'd be more apt to move to a chromoly steel shaft if I felt my current driveshaft was in doubt.

No doubt the CF units, the good ones, are better in every way. But they are expensive, $1k+ for all of the units I've seen. And if you aren't making enough power to start breaking the factory units, then there is no real reason to upgrade to CF other than to burn cash.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, I mean just replacing the 23 year old u-joints with regular dana spicers or any other off the shelf unit should suffice. As for the drive shaft, I agree on replacing the aluminum ones with steal, expecially for power adder car, turbo/supercharger/N2o. There are big aluminum ones that can handle good power but stock steel ones do just fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info