Forum Register Members Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > Automotive Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree88Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default Honda Grom



So, I've heard about these before but just started seeing these around... I think they're fucking awesome little mess around bikes... Pretty sure @Stink Star Productions had one so maybe he can chime in... Good, bad, ugly of these little things?


So much cooler modded than ruckus's lol


Yaj Yak likes this.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
You never had it so good!
 
Stink Star Productions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big wood cock
Posts: 12,000
Casino cash: $43475704
2.90 per day
Default

Good: easy to ride, looks cool, faster than a scooter, EFI, built well, decent brakes

Bad: kind of expensive, mod parts very expensive, seat is hard like a rock

Ugly: actually not that fast all things considered. I've gotten my ruckus to 45mph, this thing easily goes 55, but after that it struggles. The shifter is pretty vague, I found myself between gears several times and thought maybe it was just me but after looking at forums it is pretty common.


I did sell mine, not because I didn't like it though- I just didn't have room and didn't need 2 slow/novelty bikes, and since I've put wayyyyyy more time and money into the ruckus modding it out I kept that one.
Outlaw likes this.
__________________
my name is Boosh.

2014 Cadillac ELR, the $80k volt
2017 Civic Sport Tour
2015 Chevy Volt:SOLD: lifetime 255mpg
Stink Star Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Enginerd
 
wlorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Naperthrill
Posts: 3,066
Casino cash: $235000
1.32 per day
Default

Would ride like a crazy dude.
wlorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It!
 
l0wb00st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Suburbs
Posts: 1,146
Casino cash: $7525900
0.43 per day
Default

One thing to look at is the difference in insurance cost between the Grom and the Ruckus. I know the Ruckus isn't as cool, but you can swap a bigger motor and a manual trans into one pretty easily and still be paying a lot less for insurance.
__________________
01 RHD JDM Evo VII 2.3L Stroker 640whp/550wtq - running out of fuel
13 Bagged Audi Allroad
98 Bagged BMW 740IL
l0wb00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

This would make the ultimate pit bike . Not sure how long they'll sell this to the public I might get one for that reason alone . Several years ago you could import in a street xr100 in black which was really nice too . I have an nsf100 but never bring it out lol . it isn't street legal though .
__________________
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

If anyone here works for honda and has one of these in Stock I'd like to know how long the forks are . I was thinking of putting this front end on my other bike cause its inverted . Also the wheels look 12" . So they could probably bolt up easy (front and rear) to an nsr50 or nsf100 . My tires are 120/80/12 .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Star Productions View Post
Good: easy to ride, looks cool, faster than a scooter, EFI, built well, decent brakes

Bad: kind of expensive, mod parts very expensive, seat is hard like a rock

Ugly: actually not that fast all things considered. I've gotten my ruckus to 45mph, this thing easily goes 55, but after that it struggles. The shifter is pretty vague, I found myself between gears several times and thought maybe it was just me but after looking at forums it is pretty common.


I did sell mine, not because I didn't like it though- I just didn't have room and didn't need 2 slow/novelty bikes, and since I've put wayyyyyy more time and money into the ruckus modding it out I kept that one.
Yeah I never got into the Ruckus scene, this would essentially just be a fuck around machine. Out by me it's all two lane 45-55 mph roads so it would be perfect. I had a Honda Elite 80 that I used to goon around by me but it would only do 40 and it was sketchy as fuck being the slowest and smallest guy on the road. I think this would keep me entertained as far as "on-road" two wheels are concerned... I'll keep my fast bikes in the dirt.

I probably wouldn't do much to it... Maybe a couple easy power mods and gear down on the rear sprocket to pick up another 5mph or so on the top end... I just wish I could get it in white from the factory, but, painting the little plastics it has isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
One thing to look at is the difference in insurance cost between the Grom and the Ruckus. I know the Ruckus isn't as cool, but you can swap a bigger motor and a manual trans into one pretty easily and still be paying a lot less for insurance.
There's not a huge difference from what I can tell. Even if it's 50% more, I'm not concerned. My insurance is cheap as fuck because multi-car, etc lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40E View Post
If anyone here works for honda and has one of these in Stock I'd like to know how long the forks are . I was thinking of putting this front end on my other bike cause its inverted . Also the wheels look 12" . So they could probably bolt up easy (front and rear) to an nsr50 or nsf100 . My tires are 120/80/12 .

They are 12" wheels.
l0wb00st likes this.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Smells own farts
 
VenomousDSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkville, il
Posts: 13,110
Casino cash: $42679895
2.75 per day
Default

Starting at $3199, muhahahahaha...

I'd spend the couple extra grand and get a used REAL bike. like a CBR or a YZF.
TCG Member 5219 and Jon01 like this.
__________________
2003 DSG Cobra
1999 Performance Red GT (SOLD)
VenomousDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It!
 
l0wb00st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Suburbs
Posts: 1,146
Casino cash: $7525900
0.43 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post


There's not a huge difference from what I can tell. Even if it's 50% more, I'm not concerned. My insurance is cheap as fuck because multi-car, etc lol.
True. I think you know my opinion on anything with 2 wheels though
l0wb00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousDSG View Post
Starting at $3199, muhahahahaha...

I'd spend the couple extra grand and get a used REAL bike. like a CBR or a YZF.
I don't want a REAL bike though. I could buy a nice early-mid 2000's bike for $3,200 or less, I know that... Something fun, slow and nimble that's still quick enough to cruise around at 60 out by me would be a riot in my opinion.

Essentially it's like buying a scooter without looking like Liberace going through Downtown Barrington, and, it's got gears, so that'll be much more fun than a blah CVT setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
True. I think you know my opinion on anything with 2 wheels though
Yeah, that I do. That's why I'm not going crazy. I know how I ride on the 450 and I don't want that kind of power available to me on the street
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Classifieds Mod
 
willsmysticcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 19,676
Casino cash: $15356488
4.07 per day
Default

Looking at one for my 97 lb Bulgarian gf. Frank maybe you two can share it lolol
__________________
2008 Suzuki B King 1340cc
willsmysticcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsmysticcobra View Post
Looking at one for my 97 lb Bulgarian gf. Frank maybe you two can share it lolol
That works for me... I've got 120 pounds on her though.

I think it would be a blast to own one. Out by me I don't have to worry about highways, etc. so it would make sense. I work 3 miles from my house and the entire drive is a 40mph two-lane road with some fun turns to boot.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

I bet you could order white acerbis plastics already .

€‹Honda Grom Racing Is My New Favorite Thing

There used to be a site called Northwoods racing or something . Guys from Wisconsin and surrounding areas that ran a mini circuit at different tracks. Racing all types of bikes like these and nsr's and mini motards .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
Classifieds Mod
 
willsmysticcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 19,676
Casino cash: $15356488
4.07 per day
Default

They are hard to find in stock, even for her to sit on one. Maybe they will get a few in next week for August
willsmysticcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40E View Post
I bet you could order white acerbis plastics already .

€‹Honda Grom Racing Is My New Favorite Thing
Possibly... I've been digging the blue as well... They need more colors damnit. That's a plastic kit as well... $164.99 which isn't bad to have a different color and full second set of plastics.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default



THIS

There's tons of badass build-ups on the GromForums with links... Aftermarket is huge already. Brocks Performance is making all kinds of shit for them!
P40E likes this.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

I'd check out planetminis too . I still have my two fiddys and a pocket bike , and a kx65 I planned on turning into a motard and run with the guys From Northwoods but I ended up buying a boat . Lol . The mini scene used to be so big a few years ago .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

It's cool honda went with efi on the Grom . I also see the starter for elect. Start .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsmysticcobra View Post
They are hard to find in stock, even for her to sit on one. Maybe they will get a few in next week for August
I want to say that crystal lake honda had one outside last week . Not for sure . I would call .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40E View Post
I want to say that crystal lake honda had one outside last week . Not for sure . I would call .
They had one inside last night when I was it chipotle across the street. I'm leaving for country thunder tomorrow I'll probably go check them out when I'm back... Give me a week to think about it lol.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
Classifieds Mod
 
willsmysticcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 19,676
Casino cash: $15356488
4.07 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40E View Post
I want to say that crystal lake honda had one outside last week . Not for sure . I would call .
I called last week and no go... ill try again tonight, thanks
willsmysticcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Johnsburg
Posts: 15,543
Casino cash: $142425401
4.33 per day
Default

Let me know... I think I'd get a black one and be happy with it as opposed to getting new plastics, etc...

I'd get a filter kit, exhaust, do a 4" stretch on the swing arm and lower the ass end 2.5". I'd just have to decide if I wanted to do a lowering link on the stock rear shock or put the baller Ohlins adjustable on there... And probably a lower faring and more comfortable seat.


Essentially this..

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #23
You never had it so good!
 
Stink Star Productions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big wood cock
Posts: 12,000
Casino cash: $43475704
2.90 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40E View Post
I want to say that crystal lake honda had one outside last week . Not for sure . I would call .
I wouldn't go there if they had the last one on earth. Those guys have been assholes to me every time I went in with the intention of buying a bike on the spot. I buy all my honda shit from dupage honda in west Chicago even though I can literally see the (back of) the crystal lake store from my house
Stink Star Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #24
 
P40E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,294
Casino cash: $50711252
3.05 per day
Default

I drive by the crystal lake store everyday to work .

I've bought all my Hondas at dupage and Schaumburg honda .
P40E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
Enginerd
 
wlorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Naperthrill
Posts: 3,066
Casino cash: $235000
1.32 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Let me know... I think I'd get a black one and be happy with it as opposed to getting new plastics, etc...

I'd get a filter kit, exhaust, do a 4" stretch on the swing arm and lower the ass end 2.5". I'd just have to decide if I wanted to do a lowering link on the stock rear shock or put the baller Ohlins adjustable on there... And probably a lower faring and more comfortable seat.


Essentially this..

Check out the grom forum there is a ton of shit in the works with a guy working on heads/bore kit for it. The plastics seem pretty cheap and there's a ton of vendors in Thailand for their iteration of the grom.

I'm pretty sure there was even someone who pimped one out to look like a mini Ducati monster
wlorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts