Honda Grom

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
honda_grom_2014_i3.jpg

So, I've heard about these before but just started seeing these around... I think they're fucking awesome little mess around bikes... Pretty sure [MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] had one so maybe he can chime in... Good, bad, ugly of these little things?

So much cooler modded than ruckus's lol

Grom_Section_Header.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Good: easy to ride, looks cool, faster than a scooter, EFI, built well, decent brakes

Bad: kind of expensive, mod parts very expensive, seat is hard like a rock

Ugly: actually not that fast all things considered. I've gotten my ruckus to 45mph, this thing easily goes 55, but after that it struggles. The shifter is pretty vague, I found myself between gears several times and thought maybe it was just me but after looking at forums it is pretty common.

I did sell mine, not because I didn't like it though- I just didn't have room and didn't need 2 slow/novelty bikes, and since I've put wayyyyyy more time and money into the ruckus modding it out I kept that one.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
This would make the ultimate pit bike . Not sure how long they'll sell this to the public I might get one for that reason alone . Several years ago you could import in a street xr100 in black which was really nice too . I have an nsf100 but never bring it out lol . it isn't street legal though .

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
If anyone here works for honda and has one of these in Stock I'd like to know how long the forks are . I was thinking of putting this front end on my other bike cause its inverted . Also the wheels look 12" . So they could probably bolt up easy (front and rear) to an nsr50 or nsf100 . My tires are 120/80/12 .

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Good: easy to ride, looks cool, faster than a scooter, EFI, built well, decent brakes

Bad: kind of expensive, mod parts very expensive, seat is hard like a rock

Ugly: actually not that fast all things considered. I've gotten my ruckus to 45mph, this thing easily goes 55, but after that it struggles. The shifter is pretty vague, I found myself between gears several times and thought maybe it was just me but after looking at forums it is pretty common.

I did sell mine, not because I didn't like it though- I just didn't have room and didn't need 2 slow/novelty bikes, and since I've put wayyyyyy more time and money into the ruckus modding it out I kept that one.

Yeah I never got into the Ruckus scene, this would essentially just be a fuck around machine. Out by me it's all two lane 45-55 mph roads so it would be perfect. I had a Honda Elite 80 that I used to goon around by me but it would only do 40 and it was sketchy as fuck being the slowest and smallest guy on the road. I think this would keep me entertained as far as "on-road" two wheels are concerned... I'll keep my fast bikes in the dirt.

I probably wouldn't do much to it... Maybe a couple easy power mods and gear down on the rear sprocket to pick up another 5mph or so on the top end... I just wish I could get it in white from the factory, but, painting the little plastics it has isn't a big deal.

One thing to look at is the difference in insurance cost between the Grom and the Ruckus. I know the Ruckus isn't as cool, but you can swap a bigger motor and a manual trans into one pretty easily and still be paying a lot less for insurance.

There's not a huge difference from what I can tell. Even if it's 50% more, I'm not concerned. My insurance is cheap as fuck because multi-car, etc lol.

If anyone here works for honda and has one of these in Stock I'd like to know how long the forks are . I was thinking of putting this front end on my other bike cause its inverted . Also the wheels look 12" . So they could probably bolt up easy (front and rear) to an nsr50 or nsf100 . My tires are 120/80/12 .

They are 12" wheels.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Starting at $3199, muhahahahaha...

I'd spend the couple extra grand and get a used REAL bike. like a CBR or a YZF.

I don't want a REAL bike though. I could buy a nice early-mid 2000's bike for $3,200 or less, I know that... Something fun, slow and nimble that's still quick enough to cruise around at 60 out by me would be a riot in my opinion.

Essentially it's like buying a scooter without looking like Liberace going through Downtown Barrington, and, it's got gears, so that'll be much more fun than a blah CVT setup.

True. I think you know my opinion on anything with 2 wheels though ;)

Yeah, that I do. That's why I'm not going crazy. I know how I ride on the 450 and I don't want that kind of power available to me on the street :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Looking at one for my 97 lb Bulgarian gf. Frank maybe you two can share it lolol

That works for me... I've got 120 pounds on her though.

I think it would be a blast to own one. Out by me I don't have to worry about highways, etc. so it would make sense. I work 3 miles from my house and the entire drive is a 40mph two-lane road with some fun turns to boot.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I'd check out planetminis too . I still have my two fiddys and a pocket bike , and a kx65 I planned on turning into a motard and run with the guys From Northwoods but I ended up buying a boat . Lol . The mini scene used to be so big a few years ago .

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Let me know... I think I'd get a black one and be happy with it as opposed to getting new plastics, etc...

I'd get a filter kit, exhaust, do a 4" stretch on the swing arm and lower the ass end 2.5". I'd just have to decide if I wanted to do a lowering link on the stock rear shock or put the baller Ohlins adjustable on there... And probably a lower faring and more comfortable seat.

Essentially this..

DSC_3445.JPG

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I want to say that crystal lake honda had one outside last week . Not for sure . I would call .

I wouldn't go there if they had the last one on earth. Those guys have been assholes to me every time I went in with the intention of buying a bike on the spot. I buy all my honda shit from dupage honda in west Chicago even though I can literally see the (back of) the crystal lake store from my house

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
Let me know... I think I'd get a black one and be happy with it as opposed to getting new plastics, etc...

I'd get a filter kit, exhaust, do a 4" stretch on the swing arm and lower the ass end 2.5". I'd just have to decide if I wanted to do a lowering link on the stock rear shock or put the baller Ohlins adjustable on there... And probably a lower faring and more comfortable seat.

Essentially this..

DSC_3445.JPG

Check out the grom forum there is a ton of shit in the works with a guy working on heads/bore kit for it. The plastics seem pretty cheap and there's a ton of vendors in Thailand for their iteration of the grom.

I'm pretty sure there was even someone who pimped one out to look like a mini Ducati monster

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info