WTF am I thinking v.carbuying

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
OK, so for those of you who don't follow the "fuck" thread I had this happen to my daily last Sunday:

So, the question becomes what the hell am I replacing it with. Right now, the mix is somewhat schizzophrenic and I'm looking for advice to narrow it down. I'm torn between practicality vs sporty. My wife wants me to get a crossover but I'm not feeling that vibe at all and would lean towards a sedan more. Manual is definitely preferred esp on a 4banger which already feel slushy enough. I have a car seat but I've been sticking it in a coupe so it's not a huge deal to me. Here's my list so far of stuff I want to try:

G8-Sedan, so easier to handle the car seat. Plenty of power in the V8 trims, manual available. Is the V6 even worth bothering with? Also was looking at a used one, it seems hard to swallow 20K+ for a 5 year old car. I could see them holding their value fairly well though, just because they've got a niche and are LS powered in the V8 trim.

Mazdaspeed 3-Also not made any more, Dealership has one here for ~20K in black that looks awesome. Power to weight is awesome, supposedly they are a blast to drive. Down side is the risk some boy racer beat the piss outa it. Also around 40K miles and $20K price tag. My mom has a 3, it seems like a well built car and is quiet with plenty of room and organization in the back.

Mustang GT 5.0-AMAZING value for the $ on a new car. Wondering about practicality with a car seat honestly and winter driving. I would even be thinking about an Ecoboost car as it's something I could mod later down the road fairly easily and is more pedestrian. Direct Injected turbo V6 action sounds hot.

Focus ST-No research done on this. Looks like it could be a winner, I'm leaning more towards a hatch back style car for cargo capacity (we have 2 dogs as well.) Supposedly also an awesome value for the performance.

Mini S-Don't know a lot about these, another thought for possibly a bit more room. It'd be the 4 door one. Not sure about reliability on them.

BMW 3 series-This one's sorta dubious, overall trying to stay away from the German stuff as it seems like every time I hear about it there's some story of a weird fault that costs a fortune to fix.

Mazda 5-This is somewhat of an outlier, but after talking with the sales guy it can be had in a stick which makes it somewhat more interesting. It's probably about as close to a crossover as I wanna go.

If I get something I intend to hold onto it for some time. Reliability over depreciation is more important to me. It'd probably be stock for some time as well. If I get pissed off about buying a later model used or new car I'm tempted to say fuck it dump 2K or so into finding a clean Astro or CVPI and just pimping that for a few years Simple vehicles that are fairly cheap to own. Thoughts?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I can at least vouch for 5.0 winter driving. I loaded the trunk up with all the heavy stuff in my garage that wouldn't fuck anything up and had absolutely zero issues this last winter when my wife's POS Hyundai could even move in the weather. This was on Conti DWS all seasons. I didn't even come close to having issues and was actually able to plow through some higher snow drifts. With a couple of dogs and a kids seat, I don't know if that is a practical option though IMO.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the G8 GXP is the only one that came with the M6. ?? So if you think GT prices are high... Wait till you see GXP prices Lol

Yeah they seem rare as hens teeth. I'd definitely take an automatic if the power was right, but it seems like most people are wanting serious coin for G8 GTs with more than a few miles on em. A stang seems more likely, even something with a 6 if I can get a manual in it. Maybe I'll test drive the V6 G8 that the dealer has anyways for giggles. I'd love to look at a 6.0 GTO too, but I've read the trunks are rather impractical in them. I'd take the reduced power of a 5.7 one but they seem like more of a headache than they're worth. Such a shame.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Yeah they seem rare as hens teeth. I'd definitely take an automatic if the power was right, but it seems like most people are wanting serious coin for G8 GTs with more than a few miles on em. A stang seems more likely, even something with a 6 if I can get a manual in it. Maybe I'll test drive the V6 G8 that the dealer has anyways for giggles. I'd love to look at a 6.0 GTO too, but I've read the trunks are rather impractical in them. I'd take the reduced power of a 5.7 one but they seem like more of a headache than they're worth. Such a shame.

V6 G8 = Not even worth the test drive. But then again, I feel the same way about V6 Mustangs too. I would take a M6 LS2 GTO waaaay before I would take a V6 G8. At least they have some power.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
You+responded+to+a+lame+facebook+post+with+a+reaction+_51fa690f5031b90144a4026c8602f108.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Want to sell that Civic as is?

See if ins gives me the buyback option on it. Heard they don't do that much any more though, but don't know if it's true or not. It's got 188K but less than 15K on the manual trans and clutch done by the dealership. It's an R18 not an SI, if you're looking for a K20 swap this ain't it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
See if ins gives me the buyback option on it. Heard they don't do that much any more though, but don't know if it's true or not. It's got 188K but less than 15K on the manual trans and clutch done by the dealership. It's an R18 not an SI, if you're looking for a K20 swap this ain't it.

buy backs are only possible on things 9 years old or older iirc... in Illinois it is always an option if the vehicle is that old.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info