Help with 2002 Ford Explorer

FastKatt

3800 Tuner
Oct 21, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Real Name
Billy Wheeler
I'm at a loss...
I can't find any mods for performance or offroading.

4.6L 4x4 4 wheel independent suspension
dutytyhe.jpg

umu4enu5.jpg

ugu7u4eb.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Best thing to do is sell it and buy something that isn't a ford exploder.

If you are looking at making at an off-road machine (or really modify it at all...), I'd (probably for the first time ever), fully agree with Bikrboy...

First generations have a loyal following, and a large off-road aftermarket, the 2002+ 4 door trucks became total soccer-mom mobiles as far as the truck world is concerned.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Holy cow. I was looking for someone posting how this/that is the same as a Mustang or F150.
I'm not looking to flex off-road like a Jeep... Just a little better stance and a few more ponies and maybe a mpg or 2 bump

I don't recall if they have Efans or not, if not, get them.

Bolt pattern is shared with mustangs for wheel options

Fuel economy, or a more aggressive off-road tire, pic one :p

There is exhaust for it, as to be expected, K+N panel filter are both obvious choices.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I assume the fans are electric, I'd have to look.
I want the fuel economy to make up for the aggressive tires =)
I dropped 3rd cat & replaced muff with a Magnaflow. Sounds incredible!
1st thing I got was the K&N Panel Filter.

What about coil packs? It's got coil over plugs

Coil packs do diddly for all but extremely heavily motors, don't waste the money.

If you want power, do what all the marauder guys do and get the cobra blower kit for it. The trans behind the 4.6's are rather stout, but Jmod might be worth looking into.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
i personally just wouldn't.

Psshhht, whatever! Don't listen to KJ. Put a Kenne Bell twin screw blower on yours like I did,......amongst other things.

I don't recall if they have Efans or not, if not, get them.

They do not come stock with E fans.

What about coil packs? It's got coil over plugs

No reason to do this whatsoever. It takes a standard COP like all the 4.6 2v Mustangs have too. But it just isn't worth it unless the extra spark is REALLY needed due to pushing a hell of a lot air through the combustion chamber.

If you want power, do what all the marauder guys do and get the cobra blower kit for it. The trans behind the 4.6's are rather stout, but Jmod might be worth looking into.

AED used to offer a kit based on the M90S blower a while back. I don't know if anyone else offered anything. I made my own system from a KB 2.2 liter that was originally meant for the 2v 4.6 Mustangs.

The stock transmission is the 5R55W transmission. The JMod is meant for the 4R70W transmissions found in the 96-01 Explorers that had the 5.0 V8, so it will not work on this transmission.

My suggestion is SCT Xcal flash tuner, CAI, exhaust, and call it a day. If you want more, there are headers offered for it too. You could also do different rear gears. My 03 came with 3.73 gears in stock form. The rear end is a 8.8" 31 spline unit, so you could do a LSD, if it doesn't already have one, and numerically higher gears too. After that you had better be interested in engineering your own parts if you want much more power.

As far as making power is concerned with the 02-05 Explorers w/ 4.6 V8's, as far as I am aware of, I am pretty much the centerpoint of knowledge when it comes to building them for serious power. I haven't been active on EF.com for a while, but I used to write a lot of HOW TO threads and other tech articles on there and other Ford forums. Have a question, just ask.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The stock transmission is the 5R55W transmission. The JMod is meant for the 4R70W transmissions found in the 96-01 Explorers that had the 5.0 V8, so it will not work on

Learn something new every day, thought the 4R70 was behind everything 4.6 powered until like 05 or so, my bad.

Side-note, just found out they offered stick shift in 2002 only on 4 door v6 ones. (They offered it on the prior generation, and stopped in 2002).

Too bad that motor is a time bomb, or it would be an awesome winter beater.

FastKatt

3800 Tuner
Oct 21, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Real Name
Billy Wheeler
My suggestion is SCT Xcal flash tuner, CAI, exhaust, and call it a day. If you want more, there are headers offered for it too. You could also do different rear gears. My 03 came with 3.73 gears in stock form. The rear end is a 8.8" 31 spline unit, so you could do a LSD, if it doesn't already have one, and numerically higher gears too. After that you had better be interested in engineering your own parts if you want much more power.

As far as making power is concerned with the 02-05 Explorers w/ 4.6 V8's, as far as I am aware of, I am pretty much the centerpoint of knowledge when it comes to building them for serious power. I haven't been active on EF.com for a while, but I used to write a lot of HOW TO threads and other tech articles on there and other Ford forums. Have a question, just ask.
I haven't been able to find a tuner, maybe I'm not asking the right questions?
I would think staying NA I wouldn't need to worry about headers, right?
Being 4x4 Auto, gearing would need to be front and rear. Would kill millage also. So probably not worth any gain?
If you don't mind, could you point me to a few good reads? Links
I'm not looking for a race truck, or off-road monster. Just want to make it mine =)
Thanks!

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I haven't been able to find a tuner, maybe I'm not asking the right questions?
I would think staying NA I wouldn't need to worry about headers, right?
Being 4x4 Auto, gearing would need to be front and rear. Would kill millage also. So probably not worth any gain?
If you don't mind, could you point me to a few good reads? Links
I'm not looking for a race truck, or off-road monster. Just want to make it mine =)
Thanks!

Sending PM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info