What would you do? V.German Auto Repair

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This story requires a little explanation beforehand. The A8 is direct injected which means it has 4 fuel pumps. There are two low pressure pumps in the tank and two high pressure pumps on the engine that further raise pressure into the tens of thousands of PSI so that it can be directly injected into the combustion chamber versus a traditional low pressure setup that is injected into the intake runner before the intake valves. Because of this setup you effectively have two different fuel systems: the low pressure system which is everything between the tank and the high pressure pumps and the high pressure system which is everything between the high pressure pumps and the injectors.

So about a month ago I started getting a code for low fuel pressure on the low pressure side of the system. At the time I had no drivability issues. I called a friend who's an Audi tech and he said the pressure sensors go out all the time. Replace it and I'll be good to go. I replace it and the code comes back immediately. To further compound the situation I run the codes again and now have an accompanying low fuel pressure code for the high pressure side of the system. So now I know I have legitimate low fuel pressure and that it's likely coming from the low pressure side of the system.

I have hardly any tools out here but what I do have is one of the best Audi techs in the country. He's highly regarded and thus expensive but the alternative is me throwing more parts at the car which history has taught me generally ends up costing me more money. So I take the car in which is finally showing some drivability issues in the form of hesitation and I explain to him that I think a low pressure pump is failing. He agrees.

The next day I get a phone call from them. Both low pressure pumps are putting out low pressure. This is suspect to me. For both to fail at the same time is highly unlikely, especially considering that one only turns on above 3000 rpm and thus sees a fraction of the use as the other one but whatever. $1000 is the cost to replace them and I agree to that.

The next day I get a call that they got the pumps in but the car is still running rough. They notice my oil separator is leaking and think it's a vacuum leak from that. $350 to replace. I agree but again am suspect because before this fuel issue the car literally ran flawlessly without a hiccup. Now in the course of a few days a pump has failed and the oil separator sprung a vacuum leak large enough to affect how the engine runs despite the fact that the engine hasn't been running?

Next day I get another call, this time from the owner/ head mechanic. He tells me upon further inspection 2 of the injectors are bad but one of the low pressure pumps might still be good. With my permission he wants to put one of the original pumps back in and use that money to replace the 2 injectors. He's doing this because I told him that I was wanting to sell the car and he wanted to keep the bill close to the original price. I appreciated this.

Next day I get another call from them. This time he tells me that they've cleaned out the intake and the intake valves which were heavily caked in carbon buildup (pretty common with direct injection engines) and again with my permission he'd like to leave the oil separator in the car and instead use that money to replace all 8 injectors. He's also removed the fuel rails and had them ultrasonically cleaned. He says the separator is not leaking at an appreciable rate and the only reason they noticed it is because they did a smoke test. He says there's no downside to leaving it in and that he suggests using the money saved from that and the other low pressure pump that he's putting back and sticking that in the other injectors. He's the pro. I agree.

Now I'm pretty suspect throughout all of this because as I said, two weeks prior to this the car was running great. Now all of the sudden my injectors are all bad, my fuel rails oxidized, both of my fuel pumps are bad and then suddenly just one of my fuel pumps is bad. Seems like a lot of stuff failing at once and then fixing itself. I don't think the guys are out for a cash grab because the bill never really goes up; it just changes. Instead of buying two low pressure pumps and an oil separator I'm now buying one low pressure pump and 8 injectors. I get the call that the car is ready and at first I'm grateful. The bill is impossibly low due to the amount of parts and labor that went into it. It was something like $1500 and only $250 of that was labor. It really looked like they went out of their way to keep the bill low. I was impressed, my faith restored.

So I take the car out and not more than a block away do I get some hesitation and check engine light. I take the car back and they run the codes and get a lean mixture code. I'm suspect but the tech that was there assured me it was just clearing itself out from their intake cleaning and it would be fine.

So I get it home and guess what, it's not fine. Not only that but the check engine light is back on and both low pressure codes are back. What the fuck…Double whammy: it's running worse than it did when I brought it in.

So I call them and I explain that I'm a little peeved that the mechanic didn't take me seriously when I suggested that it might not be the intake cleaning clearing itself out. The office manager was sympathetic and offered to send a tow truck. Well hey, everyone gets one chance and they're not perfect. Also I just got a bill that showed almost no labor so I knew they ate some of that at their cost. So I told him I appreciated the offer and instead I'd use the roadside assistance with my AMEX card so they didn't need to absorb the cost of towing.

So the car goes in and initially we all agree that the other low pressure pump probably needs replacement too. When I hear back from the owner a few days later he informs me that it wasn't that but rather the passenger side high pressure pump. He's put 25 miles on it and it's running great. He's going to put another 25 - 30 miles on it just to make sure it's perfect. I'm less than enthused that I've got to replace another pump on the car and even less happy that yet another related yet completely separate component in the fuel system was replaced. It makes me question everything we've done so far as it sounds like the only thing that really needed replacement was the passenger side high pressure pump.

So he calls me the next day, says he's been running hard and it's perfect. Come get it. I assemble my bike and ride 14 miles through LA traffic to go get the car, pay the additional $600 bill and take off. I get in and at first all is well until I get to a stoplight where it feels like I'm stepping on the gas a little bit but hey, I've been driving my BMW for a week now so maybe it's in my head. Then the check engine light comes on. I mean this dude says he's put 60+ hard miles on it and no issues yet almost immediately after I take possession I have a check engine light and what feels like light surging. I get home and I have no low pressure codes (yay!) but I do have two codes for lean mixture on both banks. When it's cold it runs like a lopey cam. In other words, I suspect it has a vacuum leak that's bad when cold and as everything heats up it gets a little better. I email him and ask if we can do a smoke test Monday. He tells me to come on in.

Here's my issue though. I went to this guy because he was the best but so far from my perspective I've paid for a low pressure pump, 8 injectors and a carbon cleaning that weren't responsible for the problems the car was having. Not only that but it appears that something wasn't put back together properly as I now have a clear vacuum leak. This will be my third trip.

I'm $2300 into this problem when I theoretically only needed to be about $600 into it plus they wouldn't have removed the intake to create this vacuum leak. The only reason I'm not raging right now is because they were going above and beyond to keep the initial bill low but what good is that when literally none of the work on that initial bill was responsible for my issues? I never got the impression that it was a cash grab, just incompetence. I mean, if you're diagnosing problems properly than there's no scenario I see in which you'd say both low pressure pumps are bad, then say only one is bad and then say one of the high pressure pumps is bad. You measure fuel pressure, you see which component is not outputting the proper pressure and then bam, there's your bad component.

The problem is that while I know that they failed to properly diagnose the problem several times, I can't tell them why because I didn't do any of the work myself. Combine that with the fact that they are painfully nice and that they tried to keep that initial bill low and I'm less inclined to go in there on a rager than I otherwise would be. This kind of has me wondering if their reputation isn't built on their work but on their customer service. What would you do?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I feel bad for both parties. It obviously sucks for you because all you want is your car running good at a good price. I also feel bad for the mechanic because it genuinely seems like they aren't trying to fuck you, but they are chasing their tail trying to fix your car not knowing what is wrong with it

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I never look at it as a loss when I'm throwing parts at a car trying to diagnose a problem. I look at it as 1 less thing with potential to break.

I would purposely sabotage the car and unplug a vac line and see if they're honest in their report back to you.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
nelson-simpson-haha.png

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
You're in the business, per-say, if you had an auto shop and this happened to a customer who was less understanding than you, what would they expect? If it was a corporate chain (Midas, meineke, etc etc) they'd make it right on their dime, to please the customer.

I'm not saying they haven't tried, and aren't doing everything in their power to work with you but this should teach them the proper way of diagnosing, repairing and TEST/TEST DRIVING.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You're in the business, per-say, if you had an auto shop and this happened to a customer who was less understanding than you, what would they expect? If it was a corporate chain (Midas, meineke, etc etc) they'd make it right on their dime, to please the customer.

I'm not saying they haven't tried, and aren't doing everything in their power to work with you but this should teach them the proper way of diagnosing, repairing and TEST/TEST DRIVING.

It's weird you say that because I had a situation like that with a forum member here except I was contracting the work out to a local shop that I had a long established business relationship with. They built his transmission, built it really poorly and needed the car back in their possession several times before it finally shifted right. He took it to the track and broke it, not because it should have broke but because it was built poorly. As soon as they saw the melted rubber on the side of the car they took the opportunity to deny any kind of warranty claim on it due to abuse. They knew full well the guy they had doing the work was at fault and even after giving them the opportunity to fix it again they failed to do so.

Ultimately I paid them to build it and then after it broke on him again I had to pay another shop to fix the simple problem. The customer was patient though frustrated, probably lost faith in me, had to be in a rental car for 4+ weeks, etc. At the end of the day it cost me thousands out of pocket, cost him nearly a thousand in rental cars and I think he eventually got another built transmission so he incurred that cost as well.

It was a no win situation and I keep thinking back to that when I'm dealing with this problem. These guys seem to be equally frustrated that the car keeps coming back to them and I'm sure they just want it fixed. At e end of the day I don't hate them but I think I've lost confidence in their abilities.

That said, the car is running great now other than the lean codes.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
As with any high end luxury car , it needs to go to the dealer for work .

My buddy is a master tech with Audi… I love him to pieces but as far as the mechanics of things go, he seemed to be more clueless than the independent guy. I was telling him that because I had low pressure codes on both parts of the fuel system that I didn't think it was a faulty sensor pressure sensor and despite this he insisted it was that and that whenever they have a fuel system code they just replace that by default because they fail so often. When I pushed him and explained that I shouldn't also have a low pressure code on the high side of the system if the low pressure side pressure sensor was bad he responded by saying that the system can do all sorts of wacky things when that sensor is bad. Well no, it can't.

With respect to actually diagnosing the problem and going through a mental flowchart of "if this, then this" I don't think it's something he was ever taught. The Audi manuals take thinking out of the equation. They tell the mechanic exactly what to do for any particular problem they experience.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
As with any high end luxury car , it needs to go to the dealer for work .

Not true at all. Plenty of "factory trained techs" are just part changing monkeys.
I work at an indie shop and am able to diagnose and repair the "high end" euro trash without throwing parts at it.

I'm also not saying dealer techs aren't good. I also know many that are really good at what they do. There are idiots everywhere in this field, no matter where you go. At least the shop Mike is dealing with stepped up and stood behind their work

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
VW, there's your issue. Overly complicated and priced piles. Just talked my buddy into trading his turbo Jetta in. Oil leaks out the ass and throwing 20+ codes. Ran fine with no issues one week and the next week all went down hill. Gave him a price of about $3k to fix it. Told him to off load it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
VW, there's your issue. Overly complicated and priced piles. Just talked my buddy into trading his turbo Jetta in. Oil leaks out the ass and throwing 20+ codes. Ran fine with no issues one week and the next week all went down hill. Gave him a price of about $3k to fix it. Told him to off load it.

Meh, agree to disagree. I don't think it's any better or worse than BMW or Mercedes and it's the nicest driving over complicated and over priced pile I've ever had. I forgive it for it's transgressions every time I drive it. It's just an amazing piece of machinery.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So the owner told me last Thursday to come in this morning so we could smoke test the car. I roll in around 11 with plans on going to the gym and coming back but he says they won't be able to get to it for hours and that he meant that I should come back first thing in the morning, like 8:00am.

At that point I'm in my head thinking that I'm going to have to drive out here yet another day. It's 10 miles from my place which in LA is a 3 day's journey. So now I'm getting upset and I let him know.

I told him I was losing faith in their ability to work on the car and he asked me why. I explained to him that I didn't think the injectors or low pressure fuel pump needed to be replaced at all to which he responded that I very might be right about that. He politely stood by and let me vent and then mentioned that once they got into the car they knew they were going to lose money on it and were chalking it up as a learning experience because none of them had ever seen the problems my car was having.

He said it was a mystery to them because they agreed that so much stuff shouldn't be failing in the course of such a short period of time and that perhaps it was the high pressure pump all along and everything they did up until then was for nothing. Now the injectors and intake cleaning… those were things that would have eventually needed to be done so it's not all lost but the low pressure fuel pump probably never failed and in the course of diagnosing the problem they bothered the oil separator, likely creating the vacuum leak that exists now and is causing my codes.

At the end of the day he was totally honest and basically copped to the fact that they were never sure what the problem was and were just trying to fix symptoms as they popped up. He let me politely berate him and apologized, stating that he was trying to keep the bill down. I told him I appreciated that beyond words and it was the only reason I wasn't spitting fire at him. He also acknowledged that in removing the bad oil separator they might have bothered it enough to make the vacuum leak large enough to through a code. And that recognition is all I needed.

So I paid for injectors, a low fuel pressure pump, and an intake cleaning that I didn't need but worse things in life have happened and though the parts weren't responsible for my issues, they needed to be replaced.

They're going to smoke test it later this week and get it fixed. I'm satisfied. Still frustrated but when an experienced mechanic can be honest enough to say that he didn't know what the problem was himself, despite going through all the standard troubleshooting methods, I can appreciate that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So the owner told me last Thursday to come in this morning so we could smoke test the car. I roll in around 11 with plans on going to the gym and coming back but he says they won't be able to get to it for hours and that he meant that I should come back first thing in the morning, like 8:00am.

At that point I'm in my head thinking that I'm going to have to drive out here yet another day. It's 10 miles from my place which in LA is a 3 day's journey. So now I'm getting upset and I let him know.

I told him I was losing faith in their ability to work on the car and he asked me why. I explained to him that I didn't think the injectors or low pressure fuel pump needed to be replaced at all to which he responded that I very might be right about that. He politely stood by and let me vent and then mentioned that once they got into the car they knew they were going to lose money on it and were chalking it up as a learning experience because none of them had ever seen the problems my car was having.

He said it was a mystery to them because they agreed that so much stuff shouldn't be failing in the course of such a short period of time and that perhaps it was the high pressure pump all along and everything they did up until then was for nothing. Now the injectors and intake cleaning… those were things that would have eventually needed to be done so it's not all lost but the low pressure fuel pump probably never failed and in the course of diagnosing the problem they bothered the oil separator, likely creating the vacuum leak that exists now and is causing my codes.

At the end of the day he was totally honest and basically copped to the fact that they were never sure what the problem was and were just trying to fix symptoms as they popped up. He let me politely berate him and apologized, stating that he was trying to keep the bill down. I told him I appreciated that beyond words and it was the only reason I wasn't spitting fire at him. He also acknowledged that in removing the bad oil separator they might have bothered it enough to make the vacuum leak large enough to through a code. And that recognition is all I needed.

So I paid for injectors, a low fuel pressure pump, and an intake cleaning that I didn't need but worse things in life have happened and though the parts weren't responsible for my issues, they needed to be replaced.

They're going to smoke test it later this week and get it fixed. I'm satisfied. Still frustrated but when an experienced mechanic can be honest enough to say that he didn't know what the problem was himself, despite going through all the standard troubleshooting methods, I can appreciate that.

that's fair enough

thank you for reminding me only to buy german cars 1-2 years old and certified...that sounds like a PITA

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Let me just say, fuck this car and the horse it rode in on.

The check engine light ended up being a fragile PCV hose that basically turned to dust when you moved it. I pulled it off and pieces of it kept chipping off. $5 and a trip to Home Depot and it was good as new… for a week.

Then I get another code for the intake flaps. The intake has a 3 position manifold that changes intake runner length for various RPMs. It's the most needlessly complicated setup I've ever seen. They have a position sensor on both banks of cylinders but the motor that engages one bank engages the other as well and it does so with the same mechanical arm which means that if one bank isn't functioning the other can't function either. That also means having a position sensor on both banks is completely stupid. But hey, the car has like 19 fuel pumps so clearly the ship has sailed in simplicity.

So in that intake a little plastic piece broke off, got inhaled by the engine, and jammed the intake. It can't be serviced, just replaced. $1500. And then a coil failed.

I have never loved a car so much and simultaneously hated it so much. My repair tab is up to $5000 in a matter of a couple months and when I couple that with the money I'll lose in selling it because it's lost $5000 in value since the beginning of January I'll be out of pocket $9,000 for less than a year of ownership.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info