anyone have svo experience ?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
What are you wanting to know?

They are pretty reliable. There are some SVO specific parts that are harder to find. But looks like that car is pretty complete. They are dogs in stock form. But there are a lot of options for building that motor. Including a Volvo head swap.

If your looking for motivation google John Huber SVO. He runs 8s with his. Has a performance shop as well. I spoke with him and his father at the MNRA race a few years ago. Very knowledgeable and just nice guys.

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
i have had a few turbocoupe`s and a buddy had a svo they are great cars fuel efficient and with a few mods run really well
But there are some parts that are getting hard to find, tuning is absolutely key with them
you can easily get very strong power from them with the right budget parts and a little tuning work, a front mount intercooler is the very first thing i would do
check out Boport Racing Heads (Powered by CubeCart) and STINGER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING - 2.3 Turbo Performance Parts for Mustang SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Merkur XR4Ti, Pinto, Ranger, and Sand Rails

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
My 1st car was an 86 SVO. Great cars but no one knows what they are. Everyone would ask me why I didn't get a GT...

Only tip I'd give your son is that the boost can be unpredictable - I used to 'drift' around a specific corner in my neighborhood & gradually went faster & faster, and eventually got into the boost at the wrong point.

I came inches from hitting a mailbox & learned a lesson I keep to this day. ;)

walt460

Dec 6, 2014
1984s were single exhaust and down on power, 1986 was best (and last) year. With a cam swap, wastegate adjusted, good gas, and some recal to fuel/spark tables we made 265HP with the stock turbo, and was very reliable. Later turned down boost and ran it on regular. After much abuse, the clutch was first failure at 22K, a new centerforce clutch was installed and kept it till 66K with no further failures. It was white with gray leather, no sunroof.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
We did find a vehicle for his first...looked at many different types and he fell in love with a wrangler we looked at. Found him a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, no AC. Got deal on it and we are fixing it up.

We havent done much the last month or so, with his school and activities and I have been working a lot lately. We did some stainless brake lines, new fuel lines, vent,etc. ....and modified the late model frame for the saginaw box instead of the mercedes one.

Plans are to get the rolling chassis finished by this time next year, that will give us a year to do the tub, he wants to drive it to sr. prom, thats the plan anyway.haha. Im going to teach him how to weld the rusted area, just two on the tub and one mount, and then Ill probably be looking for someone to paint it and touch up any small issues....flat black will be the final color.

Link if anyone interested.

My Wrangler build! - Jeep Wrangler Forum

There is a photobucket that has some pics of my other vehicles in in there too. Myc6z06 goes to Katech for their stage 2 pkg in a couple weeks, so Ill probably post up a idle vid if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks for the advice on the SHO.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
We did find a vehicle for his first...looked at many different types and he fell in love with a wrangler we looked at. Found him a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, no AC. Got deal on it and we are fixing it up.

We havent done much the last month or so, with his school and activities and I have been working a lot lately. We did some stainless brake lines, new fuel lines, vent,etc. ....and modified the late model frame for the saginaw box instead of the mercedes one.

Plans are to get the rolling chassis finished by this time next year, that will give us a year to do the tub, he wants to drive it to sr. prom, thats the plan anyway.haha. Im going to teach him how to weld the rusted area, just two on the tub and one mount, and then Ill probably be looking for someone to paint it and touch up any small issues....flat black will be the final color.

Link if anyone interested.

My Wrangler build! - Jeep Wrangler Forum

There is a photobucket that has some pics of my other vehicles in in there too. Myc6z06 goes to Katech for their stage 2 pkg in a couple weeks, so Ill probably post up a idle vid if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks for the advice on the SHO.

that's some awesome progress on that jeep. father son projects ftw :jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info