Tire question regarding "runflat" tire... that isn't a runflat

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yesterday i got what appeared to be a hunk of a razor blade in my tire- right in the groove of the tread.

i hadn't driven more than 40-50 feet from where my truck was parked to my dad's driveway to swap it out- and there was still a bit of air in it.

took it off, threw one of my snow tires on for the time being... dropped the tire at goodyear in mchenry today to just get repaired- they called me up and said that the tire seemed to be a runflat and that pieces of rubber in side of the tire had started to plug the hole and that the inside of the tire was messed up and the tire had to be replaced.

wat

i've never heard of such a thing- i told them to mount it back up and i'd be back to pick it up later today...

also because they wanted $200 for a tire I can get online for $120 shipped.

anyone ever heard of anything like this? i think the kid was full of shit and they were just trying to get me to buy a tire...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I doubt they make runflats for SUVs (other than armored stuff). A runflat accomplishes the feat of running flat by having an obnoxiously firm sidewall. That works on low profile tires but I can't see it working on SUV tires which typically have large sidewalls. Also I'm too lazy to search so I'm just going to speculate about it here.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I doubt they make runflats for SUVs (other than armored stuff). A runflat accomplishes the feat of running flat by having an obnoxiously firm sidewall. That works on low profile tires but I can't see it working on SUV tires which typically have large sidewalls. Also I'm too lazy to search so I'm just going to speculate about it here.

Runflats
rimz.jpg

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Sounds like BS to me too. I had some place try to pull some BS with me the other day when I asked how much it would cost to repair a nail hole in my tire; hoping they would say it's free in hopes of getting my future business. They said it would be $50 since they also "HAVE TO" service / rebuild something on the TPMS too. I told the guy my problem wasn't with the TPMS but with the hole, so why mess with something that doesn't have an issue. He insisted and I told him that he was full of shit. I hate lying assholes like that trying to take advantage in order to make a sale.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
If you'd been driving on it underinflated for quite awhile, then the inner sidewall can deteriorate and build up that rubber residue. That wouldn't happen in 50 feet, though, but perhaps you were driving with that blade in there for a number of miles before you parked the truck and noticed it. You'll find out once you have the tire off the rim and can look at the inside. If it's bad, you can also typically see a groove on the outside of the sidewall where the tire was folded over and wearing away.

Depending where the puncture is, you might be able to plug it yourself with one of those DIY kits (although a plug isn't as secure as a patch/plug combo that gets done by most tire shops).

But BS to someone who can't tell the difference of a runflat vs regular tire who works at a tire shop...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If you'd been driving on it underinflated for quite awhile, then the inner sidewall can deteriorate and build up that rubber residue. That wouldn't happen in 50 feet, though, but perhaps you were driving with that blade in there for a number of miles before you parked the truck and noticed it. You'll find out once you have the tire off the rim and can look at the inside. If it's bad, you can also typically see a groove on the outside of the sidewall where the tire was folded over and wearing away.

Depending where the puncture is, you might be able to plug it yourself with one of those DIY kits (although a plug isn't as secure as a patch/plug combo that gets done by most tire shops).

But BS to someone who can't tell the difference of a runflat vs regular tire who works at a tire shop...

hmmm i don't think i was driving long...

My truck had been sitting at my dad's house for 5 days while I was away... i got home, drove to the grocery store- about 7 miles each direction- with no ill effects or anything- when I came back out about 2 hours later to get my phone charger- i noticed it was low and then went to work on it.

we were going to try to plug it ourselves last night but it is such a small skinny hole :pedobear: that getting the tool in to patch it wasn't possible.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
but it is such a small skinny hole :pedobear: that getting the tool in [...] wasn't possible.

Oh yeah, talk dirtaaaay to me!

fat-bastard.jpg

hmmm i don't think i was driving long...

My truck had been sitting at my dad's house for 5 days while I was away... i got home, drove to the grocery store- about 7 miles each direction- with no ill effects or anything- when I came back out about 2 hours later to get my phone charger- i noticed it was low and then went to work on it.

You mentioned still having appreciable air pressure in the tire after having discovered the puncture, correct? That right there would tell you that as long as pressure wasn't low then that type of sidewall damage would not have been likely to occur. Or am I misunderstanding?

Either way, this is where TPMS really comes into its own, with the early warning that can be given.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh yeah, talk dirtaaaay to me!

fat-bastard.jpg

You mentioned still having appreciable air pressure in the tire after having discovered the puncture, correct? That right there would tell you that as long as pressure wasn't low then that type of sidewall damage would not have been likely to occur. Or am I misunderstanding?

the puncture would have had to have happened within a very short drive on my dad's private road... because when I noticed it was low- it just looked low- when I moved it to the garage, it then looked very flat.

I really don't feel like that short of a drive, at barely a crawl of 1-2mph or so could have hurt it to become not repairable though...

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
I work for Sears auto. What I think he is trying to say is it has "runflat damage." Runflat damage is when you drive the tire with no air. The inside wall shreds and the steel wire shows, causing the integrity of the tire wall to be unstable and at any moment blow out. Doesn't matter if you drove it for 1 block, or 20 blocks, damage will appear.

At this point, my shop would not repair the tire, for safety issues and the fact that we can not guarantee our work on the tire with damage. Rarely, will a tire have barely any damage that we will repair (runflat damage).

If you do not believe the extent of damage to the tire, have him show you. At my shop, we will show you AS we are explaining why the tire is not good to repair due to runflat damage.

I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. With runflat damage, if you hit a pot hole or speed bump or anything, can cause the tire to explode. Add the factor that you are on the highway doing 60+, you safety is at risk.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
First find out if said tire is actually a run flat tire .

A basic run flat tire doesn't heal itself . It safely rides on the sidewalls with out damage to them to get where you are going .

If you are going to just plug it take a Phillips screwdriver and push it in the hole to widen it some for your tool to fit in . Most plug kits come with a reamer anyway .

Edit . I see you said razor blade . Could be a gash . Plug might not work . I would strongly recommend patch .

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I work for Sears auto. What I think he is trying to say is it has "runflat damage." Runflat damage is when you drive the tire with no air. The inside wall shreds and the steel wire shows, causing the integrity of the tire wall to be unstable and at any moment blow out. Doesn't matter if you drove it for 1 block, or 20 blocks, damage will appear.

At this point, my shop would not repair the tire, for safety issues and the fact that we can not guarantee our work on the tire with damage. Rarely, will a tire have barely any damage that we will repair (runflat damage).

If you do not believe the extent of damage to the tire, have him show you. At my shop, we will show you AS we are explaining why the tire is not good to repair due to runflat damage.

I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. With runflat damage, if you hit a pot hole or speed bump or anything, can cause the tire to explode. Add the factor that you are on the highway doing 60+, you safety is at risk.

could this all be corporate sales tactics though?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
not really but its all to the technicians discretion of whether scrubbing of the inner rubber of the tire carcass is fine. .. likely what you're seeing. excessive where there is a visible groove or indentation from where the two portions of the sidewall rubbing against each other then it's time for a new tire.

even tires with no damage can get rubber chunks on the inside as it only takes a moment on the edge of a pothole for the side walls to rub and shave off some rubber pellets
some of you may have even seen little balls off talcum powder and rubber particles inside of tires that you have removed.

you'd be surprised at how much rubber it will shave off of itself in just 50 feet
rubber is really good at ripping rubber off of itself

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info