Theoretically speaking.. what would happen?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Theoretically speaking, if you bought a car that was already modded (lowering springs, painted misc. items, 3"dp w/cat, Autolite 104s, K&N panel, Magnaflow exhaust), bought a (Ford ESP) warranty (one step below the best coverage, 2 above the lowest coverage), and notice that the only thing the warranty states about not covering/voiding the warranty is if an "aftermarket supercharger/turbocharger is added", would they cover the trans if it took a dump?

How about with headers, and a cam?

Is it one of those, you have to find a cool dealer, or...?? I mean, they know they sold a modified car.. I suppose having a louder (and better sounding exhaust), as well as a lope, they will know that something "isnt quite right". Could they prove that it was modified more, or are they sort of screwed?

Cliffnotes: Dealer sells modded car, sells warranty for car, car gets modded more, trans takes a dump, does dealer cover it?

This is all theoretically speaking, I wouldnt want to chance voiding the warranty at all.. my buddy was just wondering.

-Nick

P.S. The supercharger would still have the stock pulley on it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well visually you can see aftermarket headers and if theres a cam, any tech with half a brain can pick up on it. i'm assuming you're referring to either a cobra or lightning? i'm pretty sure you'd get screwed in the end if the tranny took a crap. they'll point to the mod list and say it was caused by user error

you COULD find a cool dealer that would help you out but its few and far between

edit: did u actually mean a gtp?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
they cant void your warranty for adding aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

i.e. if you had a supercharger added and your trans blew, can they prove a supercharger blew a trans? probably not, therefore it is the law to cover the transmission.

another dealer i know said they would install nitrious on my car (my car is an 07 with warranty) the only thing the service manager said was if i blew my motor due to nitrious, it wouldnt be covered but say my alternator went out or my trans is going bad, he said yep no problem due to the fact they cant prove it therefore it is covered.

also a dealership just cant void a whole warranty, they can void parts of it due to your fault or aftermarket parts (blown motor due to nitirous, nomore motor warranty.

MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

read that it says everything about it

egkido

Sep 13, 2007
A-town
True that mits does void all knids of shit!!! But i think that if u can prove that the trans was at fault and it had nothing to do with driver (not likely!!). Then u might be able to get away with it but the way people are now adays with warranties!!! Dealerships are starting to void warranties for every thing!!! Just like Evo's!

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
There is one rule of thumb, when it comes to warranty, the dealership can come up with any excuse to not warranty a part. I have been screwed by acura for this when I had a bone stock type r. So when it comes to warranty nothing is standard and it is ALL left up to the discretion of the dealership.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The whole "they have to prove your mods caused the damage" thing is their word against yours. Unless you are a mechanic by profession with some sort of credibility, i.e. ase certified which doesnt mean shit, I highly doubt you can prove them wrong. Once the dealer "determines" that the mods are the cause of damage, its pretty much game over.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
silvergtjrad said:
The whole "they have to prove your mods caused the damage" thing is their word against yours. Unless you are a mechanic by profession with some sort of credibility, i.e. ase certified which doesnt mean shit, I highly doubt you can prove them wrong. Once the dealer "determines" that the mods are the cause of damage, its pretty much game over.

magnusson moss act.

its true.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info