What do you call that thing that opens the valve on the tire valve stem?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
The valve stem on one of my tires has been leaking for a while and I just recently got sick of filling it up every week. What do you call that thing that opens/closes the valve stem? My suspicion is that it is slightly open. The only other thing would just be that the whole valve stem is bad an needs to be replaced. But I wanted to try seeing if the valve is just slightly open first.

I don’t trust tire places and they’d probably tell me the whole tire needs to be replaced when they just could have used that little tool thingy to close the valve.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
A valve stem, has a valve core. And you use a core driver to remover and install them.

valve%20core%201.jpg

4180-47.jpg

Any parts store will have both.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It was like $2 at Autozone. I turned it clockways a bit, so maybe that means it was a little loose. We'll see if I'm still losing air. I noticed that the psi actually went up one or two upon closing it. Probably due to the tire getting warmer now that it isn't always letting out air.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Turns out I did have a pin sized hole in my tire. The leak did slow with the closing of the valve, but it still persisted.

I took it to some dump in Wood Dale where the guy had a personality of a dirty shoe. He was not very pleasant nor conversational. They charged $40. But I guess it is better than $300 for a new tire. Next time, I'll try some of that Fix-A-Flat stuff for $5.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Discount Tire by me fixes flats for free in hopes of getting business from you in the future. Not sure if all of them do it or just the one by me.

they take care of me too, to the point of free rotations on my old Yukon where nothing was purchased from them, to free plug fixes, to fixing leaking rims w/ wire brush cleanup and reseal. they work hard to earn your business.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info