Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
BMW sticks to its guns for future gearboxes | Auto Express

Ok, so maybe I'm paraphrasing...

Frolich also confirmed that for the foreseeable future, the manual transmission is safe at BMW, both in M Division cars and regular non-performance models. “Of course, with a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional; it now says ‘I am a serious driver, I am a connoisseur’. So, we will continue [to offer a manual] even if only ten per cent of customers want it. That is why we offer a manual M5 sedan in North America. It is stupid – the development costs are huge – but we will keep doing it as long as the customer wants it.”

But they did technically say it lol

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It's amazing how high end cars rarely come with a manual new because nobody wants them buy are highly sought after in the used market. Manual ferraris and lambos fetch quite a premium over their auto counterparts.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I understand the point from a cost, profit, and resource perspective.

What I’d really love to see is a true apples to apples test of a DSG/DCT vs. a manual in the same car. By apples to apples, I mean the same number of gears. Until recently, manuals had one or two less gears which makes a difference. That would really show which transmission is really faster and end the debate. Now to caveat that so I don’t get flamed, if you can’t shift or are the normal motoring public, the DCT will be more consistent and faster. I am talking about enthusiasts like all of us.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i was kind of considering an e46 m3 rather than the brz, and was thinking of manual vs. smg. not sure what i would have down. and my heel toe shifting is awful. that being said it's still pretty fun.

i went to my first track day in some time on memorial day, and used my solo dl for the first time - so now i have empirical data at 10 hz of exactly how shitty of a driver i am. haven't started looking at it yet though.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I understand the point from a cost, profit, and resource perspective.

What I’d really love to see is a true apples to apples test of a DSG/DCT vs. a manual in the same car. By apples to apples, I mean the same number of gears. Until recently, manuals had one or two less gears which makes a difference. That would really show which transmission is really faster and end the debate. Now to caveat that so I don’t get flamed, if you can’t shift or are the normal motoring public, the DCT will be more consistent and faster. I am talking about enthusiasts like all of us.

No matter how fast you can shift a manual transmission or how many gears it has I doubt you're going to be faster than a DCT/ DSG or even the older SMG setups. You're not even going to be quicker than a good automatic transmission. It used to be that automatics were slower shifting and less efficient, both problems solved in newer gear boxes. Combine that with true manual shift modes, rev matching on down shifts and crisp instantaneous upshifts and I can see why fewer people want to commit to full time manual shifting. You're giving up so little with some of these automatics.

Not only that but a lot of cars are turbo now and you need to deal with boost bleeding off between shifts. From what I've seen the manual 335's and 535s are appreciably slower than their automatic counterparts for just this reason.

For me personally, I don't even have the best of what's out there but I'll take my automatic over the manual e60 any day of the week. When I'm docile and stuck in traffic it goes into comfort automatic and when I'm up in the hills it goes into sport auto and allows me nearly the same control the manual transmission did in the 550.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
No matter how fast you can shift a manual transmission or how many gears it has I doubt you're going to be faster than a DCT/ DSG or even the older SMG setups. You're not even going to be quicker than a good automatic transmission. It used to be that automatics were slower shifting and less efficient, both problems solved in newer gear boxes. Combine that with true manual shift modes, rev matching on down shifts and crisp instantaneous upshifts and I can see why fewer people want to commit to full time manual shifting. You're giving up so little with some of these automatics.

Not only that but a lot of cars are turbo now and you need to deal with boost bleeding off between shifts. From what I've seen the manual 335's and 535s are appreciably slower than their automatic counterparts for just this reason.

For me personally, I don't even have the best of what's out there but I'll take my automatic over the manual e60 any day of the week. When I'm docile and stuck in traffic it goes into comfort automatic and when I'm up in the hills it goes into sport auto and allows me nearly the same control the manual transmission did in the 550.

But you are overlooking that manuals are more efficient putting more power to the pavement, are lighter, and allow full manual control of the launch.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
But you are overlooking that manuals are more efficient putting more power to the pavement, are lighter, and allow full manual control of the launch.

I would argue that the difference in efficiency between your average manual transmission and your current automatic is nominal, like a couple percent. Automatics are exponentially more efficient than they were just 10 years ago. We don't see 20% drivetrain losses any longer.

15 years ago I think that was a solid argument. Now? Not so much in my opinion and I think the performance specs of most cars that can be had with both backs my assertion.

As far as weight, with how heavy cars have gotten it's no longer the difference between a 3100lb car and a 3300lb car but rather the difference between a 3700lb and a 3900lb car and power levels have come up to counter cars becoming so bloated. Proportionately the difference in weight is less of a factor than it would have been 10 - 15 years ago though.

I guess here's my question… Let's look at cars made within the last 5 years that were available in both auto and manual. I don't have time now but I'll take a look later on when I get back. I read a lot of reviews because I'm a serial buyer and in most cases I can recall the automatic version of a modern car is just as quick, if not quicker than it's manual counterpart.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I know dyno's can read different with the same car on a separate pull, but my G8 stock did 303whp. They're flywheel rated at 361/355, depending on the year. That comes out to be a 16% loss going through the trans.

This isn't absolute proof, but just my .02 on the whole thing.

That being said, I think my current transmission tune is still leaving some performance on the table as it can be unpredictable when I step on the gas. Sometimes I'm like 'Whoa!', and other times like 'Meh.'.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info