Want to buy first motorcycle

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
I'm looking at this one on CL

2000 Suzuki Gs500

or this

Suzuki gs500 1993

I wouldn't go with anything over 750cc's and 10yrs old. For someone who admittedly doesn't know anything about bikes I'd stick with a Japanese bike around 500cc's. My first bike was a 900cc vtwin....but I'd been on/off my friends bikes for about 2 years before I made the purchase. I rode that bike for a year before needing something with more power (1000cc I-4) which I sold 4years later when I wanted to upgrade to something with even more power. Having hit 150mph many many times and many 100mph plus sweepers I realized I was addicted to the adrenaline and was going to end up dead/hurt badly so I sold it and bought my first mustang convertible.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
What kind of bike do you want? Something you can grow into? Something fast? Something for just cruising? How big are you?

I started out on a Honda CBR 600 sportbike when I was 18. Awesome first bike. You just have to respect any bike you ride. And stay within your limits.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
I am 6'3 215ish and started on a 2003 GSX-R 750. I rode VERY slow and cautiously, respecting the bike and resisting ANY urge to show off. I will admit I had my buddy ride the bike home for me and I started very slow in a church parking lot. After 3 months I got comfortable enough for highway, I took the free bike safety class at Lake County College and even rode my Gixxer to the class lol.

Like Mike said above me, its all about respect and self control/ discipline. If you can master that, there is NO better feeling than getting on the open road on two wheels and feeling the freedom and raw power / handling a sport bike can give.

SLO G 63

Platinum Account
May 2, 2012
What kind of bike do you want? Something you can grow into? Something fast? Something for just cruising? How big are you?

I started out on a Honda CBR 600 sportbike when I was 18. Awesome first bike. You just have to respect any bike you ride. And stay within your limits.

I just want something I could learn on, I've barely ridden, a 250 once, and a lil 150cc while on vacation in south/east Asia.

I'm not that big 5'7 150 about

I'm also considering a Ninja 250, I'm in contact with someone selling one for 2500

I can always upgrade to a bigger bike later, I want to start small

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
We have someone smart! Nothing wrong with starting small, and in fact I would say it's preferred so you can learn the basics and get comfortable with riding concepts. Great thing about motorcycles (when you buy used) is they don't really depreciate that much in value. What you buy a ninja 250 or a sv650 for this year, you can turn around and sell the following year for almost the same amount as long as you don't put something crazy like 15,000 miles on in one year or drop it.

Be smart and good luck!

Last edited:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Everyone always says buy a 600 or less for a first bike. I say get the 1k and ride smart. Dont crack the throttle and you will be fine. Plus you will not be shopping for another bike in 3 months when you are sick of the SV or whatever other starter bike you get. They are gay and serve no purpose except for using during the motorcycle test at the DMV. I have owned 7 sport bikes.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Everyone always says buy a 600 or less for a first bike. I say get the 1k and ride smart. Dont crack the throttle and you will be fine. Plus you will not be shopping for another bike in 3 months when you are sick of the SV or whatever other starter bike you get. They are gay and serve no purpose except for using during the motorcycle test at the DMV. I have owned 7 sport bikes.

Thats fine and all for some. I've been on a 1k and I enjoy my sv650 more. Yea sir I don't get the bragging rights of a 1k. Doesn't bother me.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

I'd agree with this if the OP was too big for a "starter" bike. But at 150 lbs with next to no riding experience a 500 is fine and will last him a while

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John

:picard:

SLO G 63

Platinum Account
May 2, 2012
Pulled the trigger on a 250, incredibly excited, got it for a good price

124x7i8.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info