03 Dodge ram 1500 left me stranded

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
I have a 03 ram 1500, 5.9 Magnum, 203k miles. I had 1/8 tank of gas and put $45 in it, gave me 1/2 tank. 30 minutes later I was at a stop light light and the truck started to stutter then died. Tried to restart a few times but it just kept Cranking and will not start. I tried starting fluid but it didn't change fact still just kept Cranking . Has plenty of power while cranking any help on what to look for well I'm stuck on the side of the street.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah id lay money on it jumping a few teeth

usually they will jump one tooth and give you shitty drivability.

pull the easiest plug and bump the starter till its coming up on compression and if you pull the cap with that cyl at tdc youll see the rotor will be off.

pretty common thanks to plastic coated gears so all you new car buying ass hats don't have to hear a tiny noise that a machine makes....

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Does it start/pop if you shoot starter fluid into the throttle body?
I would also check the distributor. Make sure you can't turn it clockwise/counter clockwise. I've had a lot of v8 dodges get towed in because the distributor was loose, and it vibrated enough that the timing went over advanced/retarded.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Does it start/pop if you shoot starter fluid into the throttle body?
I would also check the distributor. Make sure you can't turn it clockwise/counter clockwise. I've had a lot of v8 dodges get towed in because the distributor was loose, and it vibrated enough that the timing went over advanced/retarded.

Doesn't start with starting fluid. I'll check the distributor cap when I get a chance, I'm working the next few days.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Take an intake off a new 6.0 GM motor or an 8.1 and the car won't even run with it off . Also won't work on GM 5.3's through the intake . (My Yukon ) . Best way is check pressure at Shrader or push

His is not a new car. And I had no issues staring my 2000 yukon (5.3) with this method. I don' start with intake off. I spray reattach air intake loosely and turn over . Nothing wrong with checking Shrader as well for fuel.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
I worked on one of these that did what this one does. The owner "KNEW" it was the distributor so I changed it along with the cam position sensor inside it. Then when it still wouldn't start I changed the crank position sensor. If it's the same its in the back top aiming at the flywheel. Started right up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info