• Pulling out and gear change

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Whatever feels right at the time

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Pulling out and downshifts. I almost never use the clutch to upshift, have ridden like that for over 20 years. I got into a debate with several friends who said that will damage the trans/clutch. I wrote into Sport Rider magazine a couple years ago and asked, they printed it and said it's fine when done right, but downshifting is risky

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
Pulling out and down shifts.
I do for downshifts, even though its not necessary it is smoother.
I didnt use for upshifts, and now that bikes come with quickshifters no one should use for upshifts.

Soon enough with more and more bikes having ride by wire, you wont really need for down shifts either.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
so those that don't clutch on upshifts...do you just let out of the throttle, shift up, then back into the throttle?

Yep. When you get used to it, you'll be basically blipping off of the throttle and right back on again. Same with down-shifting, except you'll be getting on the throttle for a split second, similar to revving the bik in neutral...although that works/feels much better on a close close ratio gearbox such as a 2-stroke's.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Are you doing this at WOT? It will definitely feel harsher if you're just cruising.

At WOT, apply some up pressure to the shifter and quickly blip off of the throttle...From WOT to about half throttle...and then right back to WOT. It should feel pretty smooth when you get used to doing it quickly.

With my 2-stroke 250, you couldn't even hear that I was letting off the throttle. It was just dropping the RPMs right to the next gear.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I've always shifted with the clutch except for with a truck. I like the nice back pressure sound you get from a Harley when clutching and quite frankly I've just never thought about not using the clutch. Only rode a crotch rocket once and it was a 600 ninja. I used the clutch also. All the quads and dirt bikes I've ridden was always with the clutch for all upshift and downshifts as well.

Lets just say I'm a CLUTCHER.

IMO, If you've always used a clutch then you know the feel for it and not clutching isn't going to make you any faster.

Thread Info