Thinking About Changing To a Vette

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am looking to change it up to a c5 vette. I am going to start saving for a house and I have to cut back my car payment. Only down side is most of the nicer vettes I see are from private sellers. Getting a loan should be easy, but getting rid of my car might be a pain vs. a dealer being able to take a trade in. I would love to get in to a Zo6, but I don't think they are low enough in price. I am looking to drop 23ish grand max. Any tips on which model years to avoid? Coupe' vs FRC pros/cons? Any thoughts in general are welcome.

I like this coupe style a bit better. Does this price seem high? what do decent c5's go for these days?

C5 Black on Black CCW Wheels Trade for C3 ? - Corvette Forum

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Does it have to be manual/auto? Any restrictions (colors, options)? No convertibles?

It would have to be manual for sure. No convertibles. Only colors I would be opposed to are red, yellow, or any ridiculous custom color. I would prefer gray or silver. Black and blue also look good, so I am good with that. As far as options, I am pretty flexible. I want to get into a car I can upgrade as I go. I would like it to be in good shape.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Early C5's have a bunch of electrical gremlins. In fact up till about 2003 they are hit and miss. My buddy had a 98 that was horrible. Make sure you go 2001 or newer. They come with 241 heads and LS6 intakes. They are also build a little better and come with better wheels.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
why do you say that?

if you saw some of the posts or PMs that i have received, you would think I was selling a fiero conversion Lambo on a Lambo forum.
Seems as though they think their shit doesnt stink.

I'm not going to hijack this thread.

i'm entitled to my opinion and i'm not fond of the vette forum

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
corvette mafia seems to be growing

Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have a 99 FRC. If you absolutely need the removable top, then get a coupe. Otherwise, a 99-00 FRC is the way to go. The C5Z is way over priced for being an FRC with a heads/cam package that you'll probably change anyway. August 20th will be 7 years with my FRC and it's still my favorite. Its better than my 5th gen Camaro was.

why 99-00 vs a 2001+? any big differences?

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Depends on what your goals and uses are for the car.
The z06 is lighter, faster, stronger parts, better suspension etc. If your just looking for a fun cruiser and don't need all that then save the money and spend it where you want to on the car. IMO 02 is the best year. Essentially the same as the 03 & 04 but better fuel pump placement on the 02.

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
The z06 is lighter, faster, stronger parts, better suspension etc. If your just looking for a fun cruiser and don't need all that then save the money and spend it where you want to on the car. IMO 02 is the best year. Essentially the same as the 03 & 04 but better fuel pump placement on the 02.

I forgot they fucked with the fuel pump. Wasn't it late 03?

Also, the coupe is more aerodynamic. If you plan on doing any very VERY high speed racing/Texas mile shit, go with a coupe

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

Really, this car would be my DD during the spring, summer, and fall. I might also be looking for a truck to tow a boat or other cool shit around, but the wife and I are going into this purchase together. If I got a base model vette, then it would be more fun for me I feel. I do want a car that I can work on and do upgrades myself to feel the improvements of my labor. Although I really want a Zo6, it comes pretty crucial out of the package and I wouldn't need to mess with much. I would be going for a crucial street car that can hold its own in a straight line battle, yet have good DD characteristics for long road trips. Something that if I ever went to a road course, I can have a good time on that as well. Emphasis on straight line and good all around touring car though.

Also good info on the fuel pump. I would likely be re-doing the fuel system to handle good power. What is the deal with the fuel pump?

I forgot they fucked with the fuel pump. Wasn't it late 03?
Also, the coupe is more aerodynamic. If you plan on doing any very VERY high speed racing/Texas mile shit, go with a coupe

Is the fuel pump placement messed up in 01? I like to go fast and see high speeds. I do like the idea of the removable glass roof, if I get a nice day it will be nice. The seem more sleek and I like the hatch that opens up more so I can pack more shit in it. My wife and I love road trips.

the ONLY Vette I'd trade my stang in for is a C6 Z06 :D

This is the big reason that I would want a c5Zo6, I feel that I like the c5 design over the c6 ever so slightly. The c5 has always been one of my favorite styled cars ever made...especially the zo6. I can get a really nice shape and low mile base c5's for the price range I am looking in...or some 100k mile zo6.

This pewter one is pretty clean.

2001 Chevrolet Corvette, $24,989 - Cars.com

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info