Getting M class

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Anybody know for sure what the requirements are for taking the M class riding test? I looked at the IL motorcycle manual and it describes the 4 tests but it doesn't get into which kind of bikes are required for said tests. The only thing it says is that 600cc and up bikes have a different max turn radius in 2 of the tests than an under 600cc bike. It also says 50-149cc bikes only need an L class license and anything above 150cc needs an M class. But what it doesn't say is if you can take the test for the M class on a bike smaller than 150cc or not. I'm not interested in getting a stupid L class license and see no advantage considering an M class works for everything and the test is apparently the same. I'd love to take the test on my grom because it's ~200lbs and easy to maneuver and I'm used to it, but it's only 125cc and like I said before I want an M class, not a stupid L. Even better I'd like to use my ruckus just so there's no way in hell I could fail by somehow stalling the engine. Anyways, anybody here actually even take the riding test or did everybody do the rider safety course and just get the automatic pass?

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
To get your M Class, you need to be on a bike 150cc+. So, like I used, a Honda 150 scooter will work just fine.
As for the road test, it basically the same for lower cc bike vs larger cc bikes. When you make the U turn portion, the box used has a larger box and a smaller, tighter one. Lower cc bikes much make the turn in the smaller one while larger cc bikes use the larger portion.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
my friends were taking it on a 250cc honda scooter, i think tho that was just the smallest thing they could find, they must have recently adapted the larger turn radius for the bigger bikes because when i took it on my old ninja it was a bitch and they only had one course for all the bikes

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
The bike needs to be 150cc or up to get your m license. I took it on my fz1 and passed without a problem. You can put one foot down up to 3 times I think and still pass. I had to out my foot down once doing the cones. If you put 2 feet down its an automatic failure. Just find a bike with enough cc that you can maneuver decently and you can pass it. Hell my dad almost passed it on a goldwing.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
If you take the MSF class, you get a discount on insurance and gear. Along with getting a slip that let's you walk into the dmv and getting your M class stamp on your license.

Find a weekend with iffy weather and walk in. They ride in rain or shine. Just not thunderstorms.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I went to the dmv one Saturday morning, passed the written test (without opening the book) and riding portion no problem on my 35 year old 750cc cow. The key is to take the test on a bike you're comfortable riding.

Exactly why I don't wanna just borrow somebody's bike for a day just for the test.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info