Puked my turbo seals, can i replace them myself?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
My Comp turbo had a seal failure this past weekend.
Sludgy, milky shit is in my breather tank (water cooled turbo), and plumes of smoke are coming out the tail pipes when accelerating. (also when stopping at a light, a cloud of oil goes past me lol)

Can I disassemble a turbo pretty easily? I have no reason to suspect the bearings are bad, just bad seals.

Thoughts?

Other than Comp (who isn't answering their phone) who is a recommended turbo rebuilder?

Thanks in advance.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
It's relatively easy to rebuild a turbo. Just HAVE to remember to mark the position of the wheels in relation to each other before you take them off so you don't have to have them balanced afterwards. Unbalanced turbos are not happy.

09.10.2005: Garrett T25 Turbo Rebuild - photo.platonoff.com

That may be the thread that I used years ago when I was first learning how to rebuild turbos! Heck, it may even be saved on my computer somewhere for all I know.

Back on topic. Yep, if you don't want to have to send her out to be rebalanced it isn't a bad idea to mark the clocking of the compressor wheel in relation to the main shaft, and also the nut to the comp wheel. If there is a rebuild kit available for the turbo being done, it isn't a hard job at all. I found it therapeutic, actually.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I talked to Rich and R&S.
He told me if there is water in the oil the water jacket housing is cracked.

The oil out the exhaust and sludge in the breather tank both point to a head gasket, but the engine runs perfect, even under boost.

Ill just have to pull the turbo off and go from there.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Do a pressure test on the cooling system, it may save you some trouble. JMO on it. Still gonna have to clean the turbo as well, but you never know. They also make a fluid you can use that will show CO in the coolant loop and that lets you check for a blown HG. Could also pull plugs it should show as well.

What fuel are you running? E85 can generate a lot of moisture in the crank case, especially if you don't warm it up fully. If it's been sitting it's possible you have crankcase moisture you cooked off E85 or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info