Cars.com Adds Inventory Email Alerts

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Awww yeah. Finally.

Cars.com Adds Inventory Email Alerts - KickingTires

6a00d83451b3c669e201a51193281a970c-800wi

Are you hunting for that elusive white whale of a car with just the right mileage, transmission and color at a specific price, and you're tired of searching Cars.com's listings over and over again to see if one has just been posted? Hold onto your keyboard — your prayers have been answered!

You can sign up for email alerts directly from a search results page in Cars.com's new- or used-car inventory listings.

How granular can the parameters be? Once you search for a car based on the model name, price and location, you can refine your search to include a variety of factors, including whether it's a certified pre-owned vehicle or if you only want to be alerted to listings from top-rated dealers.

6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fce36e33970b-800wi

Once you've got the criteria set just the way you want — even if there aren't any matches currently in our inventory — click the Create an Alert button and enter your email address; a confirmation request will soon arrive in your inbox.

You'll only receive email alerts when a car is added to our inventory, and only once a day. You also can unsubscribe at any time.

Now that you know about the new alerts, test them out by searching our listings here.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Even if it's not there (auto trader) just search for V8 CTS's and bam: CTS-V's.

that works for those, but not things like focus st's or wrx's... and it only works as well if the dealer had half of a brain and entered the vehicle correctly.

or say you want to find a 5.3 powered trailblazer... or a trailblazer ss for that matter... you'll have to weed through the dumb extended ones for days.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Nah, I'm talking about choosing how many cylinders in the search, not adding a text search for V8.

But yes, it only works on cars where only the performance model has a certain engine. So it works for the CTS-V because every V is a V8 and it works for say an A8 with the W12 because every W12 is a 12 cylinder. But if you're searching for a vehicle that has several different options for the same cylinder engine then yes, you're screwed.

Thanks for blowing my life hack. I'll be sure to mention you by name in the suicide letter.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Nah, I'm talking about choosing how many cylinders in the search, not adding a text search for V8.

But yes, it only works on cars where only the performance model has a certain engine. So it works for the CTS-V because every V is a V8 and it works for say an A8 with the W12 because every W12 is a 12 cylinder. But if you're searching for a vehicle that has several different options for the same cylinder engine then yes, you're screwed.

Thanks for blowing my life hack. I'll be sure to mention you by name in the suicide letter.

:rofl:

wait... where is the cylinder engine drop down? I know auto trader has it i think but cars.com doesn't.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have a biased opinion, but I truly prefer using Cars.com to AT for searches. It's much easier to search for specific configurations and also read through results without being assaulted by premium ad placement. Plus most dealers list on both. Our SIY inventory is a little weak, though, but everyone uses Craigslist for that anyway.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Good to know. We've had an email alert system like that for a few years now at Carmax, and it makes it far more convenient for our customers to find the right vehicle they have been waiting for when it comes in.

It does help to know the best way to enter the search criteria, but it is also only as good as the information that is put in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info