Rearview cameras will be required in vehicles in 2018

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Rearview cameras will be required in vehicles in 2018 | Ars Technica

A final rule Monday by the US Department of Transportation will require all vehicles under 10,000 pounds to have rearview cameras by May 2018 in order to mitigate the damages caused by backup accidents. The mandate comes after years of delaying the regulatory review, which was supposed to be completed by 2011.

The standard was originally signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2008 to go into effect by the end of 2011. The regulatory review was delayed in February 2012 until the end of 2012 and then delayed again indefinitely.

It says "all vehicles under 10,000 lbs will be required to have rear view cameras"... Not sure of they mean all new cars, but this says all cars, so I'm thinking that means every car on the road will need to have rear view cameras installed. Anyone know more about this?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That is 100 percent sad if it is true. We are a nation of wimps. I had to deal with an upset customer asking why we would not give her a rental through GM for 2 weeks while her radio came in. She says she could not drive the vehicle becasue without a backup camera its dangerous. I asked her what did she do before back up cameras?? She was silent and didnt answer..... I denied her rental lol.

I have a back up camera on the cruze.... its a nice feature but its not required for me not to hit something. Its called looking around and checking your blind spots

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
I think its a good idea. I have this on my Jeep and love the option. Not only does it add safety and convenience related value, I believe it will help to lower the ridiculous optional navigation screen pricing options. Why should you have to buy a 5K option package to get this safety feature? Better for the consumer in the long run, imo.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
If you need a backup camera, you should NOT be driving a vehicle in the first place.

Open your damn eyes and look around your vehicle before you back up. This is just another useless feature that will cause car prices to go up even more than needed.

Yup.

I don't like them myself, TBH. I find it harder to judge distances through them.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
If you need a backup camera, you should NOT be driving a vehicle in the first place.

Open your damn eyes and look around your vehicle before you back up.

while I agree, the feature is nice.......and younger children can run off pretty fast and are also not tall enough to be seen through the rear window in most vehicles. If it saved your child from getting run over would it still not be worth it?

When I was on vacation last year I rented a Chrysler mini van with the option, I knew my next new vehicle would have it after I drove that for a month.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
younger children can run off pretty fast and are also not tall enough to be seen through the rear window in most vehicles. If it saved your child from getting run over would it still not be worth it?

I would always have my eye on a kid if he was behind me while backing up. I would never put myself in a position where I'd almost run over
a child. :dunno:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just wait till the lawsuits for running over a kid due to the camera malfunctioning at 101,009 miles....

just you wait n see how much prices of new cars continue to climb as the delayed cost of these 100k warranties rears its ugly head....

electric assist power steering, radar/collision sensing, rectal air conditioning...just wait till all these crutches start failing and people no longer no how to drive without the crutch propping their lack of skills/common sense up.

im sorry I killed all those kids when my automatic parking collision detection camera glitched out due to salt corrosion of one of 26 computers causing the operator to keep the gas pedal floored cause that's all they've had to do before....

yeah I don't like that this stuff help idiots, idiot, more

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Although I do think it's nice, and maybe it'd help drive prices down for the technology which is also nice, I think all these required safety features are some of the reasons why the avg skill of drivers is probably going down. Too much reliant on technology and not enough paying attention to your surroundings.

We have two cars with it and two cars without it. It's convenient sometimes but I'd hate to be required to pay for it on a new car especially with the $1000+ price tag.

I would always have my eye on a kid if he was behind me while backing up. I would never put myself in a position where I'd almost run over
a child. :dunno:

IF you knew one was there.

Exactly. The goverment need to mind thier own damn business and stop making it be easier for people to be dumb.

Agree mostly, but this is a consumer value added proposition.

Stupid law. People will just ignore the screen and backup without looking just like they do with rear view mirrors.

THIS^^^^

I still like them, but guess in the minority.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I personally like them, and if it were an option on a car I wanted I would definitely buy it but I don't think it should be required. But then again I also think it's way too easy to get a license and most kids (especially girls) under 18 shouldn't be driving without direct supervision or with other teens in the car.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
This is Bullshit!

Anything thats forced on people is going to get this kind of fanfare. But really its just there to help. Look at it or dont. There is alot more you can see with that camera back there vs. just looking in the mirrors or out the back window. Case in point, a 2 year old gets loose and decides to run behind your car just as you are throwing it in R and backing up. You wouldnt see that kid without that camera. I think its bullshit too that the government is forcing this on us too, but really its for the better. Its going to save lives and property no matter how you slice it and hate on it. Buts its out of our hands.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Anything thats forced on people is going to get this kind of fanfare. But really its just there to help. Look at it or dont. There is alot more you can see with that camera back there vs. just looking in the mirrors or out the back window. Case in point, a 2 year old gets loose and decides to run behind your car just as you are throwing it in R and backing up. You wouldnt see that kid without that camera. I think its bullshit too that the government is forcing this on us too, but really its for the better. Its going to save lives and property no matter how you slice it and hate on it. Buts its out of our hands.

I get the points of the kids, and most vehicles are so much taller now that it is hard to see right up near them front or rear. Small kids could easily be in a blind spot. I just absolutely hate the government stepping in and say you have to do this or you can't do that. They just chip away a little at a time until we have nothing left. This in itself isn't a big deal, it's just with everything else they do that I get sick of. I just want the government out of my fucking life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info