F1 Sound Comparison - 2013 vs 2014

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I like the Lexus LFA because of it's sound, kind of like how the old F1 cars sound. I don't think the new turbo V6 sounds good at all, it reminds me of a 2-stroke nitro R/C car whizzing by. Pretty crazy driving position in either car. I'm all for saving the planet and being green, but am saddened it's also having an impact on motorsports. I don't follow F1 but still think a harder to drive car with more torque and less downforce might make it more interesting to watch.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I dont even wanna watch that first vid. I don't need a reminder of how awful they sound now... On tv its not SO bad cuz you hear so many other things like the turbo, the tires squeeling, the crowd, etc. But apparently in person they were so quiet you didnt even need earplugs around them. That just aint right. I understand a huge part of being part of F1 is forging new technologies that will someday make it into road going cars, but you also cant ignore the "sexy factor" that draws the fans to the races to see these machines

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I loved vettels radio transmission when he was doing his warmup lap: "Is it normal I have no power?" No seb. It most certainly is not :rofl: His race was done before it even started. Gonna be VERY interesting to see how these cars react the heat and humidity of malaysia next weekend.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
After Benie Ecclestone expressed how "horrified" he was at the lack of noise from this year's Formula 1 cars, questions are being asked about what can be done to get the decibel level up.

Ecclestone made his comments after it emerged that the organisers of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix were considering legal action for breach of contract.

F1's boss added he had spoken to FIA president, Jean Todt, to see if changes can be made to "make them sound like racing cars".

“I don’t know whether it’s possible but we should investigate. I think let’s get the first few races out of the way and then maybe look to do something. We can’t wait all season. It could be too late by then," the Telegraph reported.

Although the arrival of the new 1.6-litre V6 turbo-charged power units produced an entertaining season-opening race at Melbourne's Albert Park on Sunday, the noise levels failed to impress.

The screaming sound of the old V8 engine has gone, and in its place is a huskier decibel level, complete with whistles and whirrs from the turbo.

"I was absolutely delighted with the whole weekend, but I was not too happy with the sound," Ron Walker, chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation told Melbourne newspaper The Age after the race.

"We are resolving that with Bernie. It's clearly in breach of our contract. I was talking to him last night (Sunday) and it's not what we paid for. It's going to change.

But to see just how different this years turbo-charged V6s are in comparison to last year's screaming V8s who better to judge than the punter in the stands.

Fortunately, one fan clearly has his favourite spot at Albert Park and filmed the cars roaring down the pit straight in the video above.

If it's noise you're after, there's no contest.

........................................................................................................................................

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
They are slower now but I think times will start to even out over time as drivers start to come to grips w/ these cars. They have a LOT less downforce than before, and they're a hell of a lot torquier than before. Aside from everything else, they're definitely more of a drivers car now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info