Time to admit my mistake - need help/advice.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So being the master porter cable detailer I am, I decided it was time to step up to the big leagues. Rotary buffer. I spent time in the garage practicing wet sanding with 3000/2500/2000 and buffing that out on our less than perfect minivan all winter. But the porter cable was taking way too long to get the results I wanted.

So FF to the weekend before my bday. I found a nice starter rotary at Harbor Freight with a 10amp motor and 1500-4000rpm range for $49. Look solid, and the reviews are awesome on it compared to the $300 makitas and Dewalts. So I pulled the trigger. I have been itching to sand/buff out this little scratch I picked up from the dealer when I took it in for service last fall. Tried to get it out with the PC, but just not enough cutting power with M105 and even a yellow pad.

So I used my 2000 grit meguires paper and water, got it out no problem. Decided to get the shine back with the rotary. Set it to 1500 with an orange pad and M205. Worked perfectly. Scratch is gone. As I was examining the area, I realized that I forgot to tape the body lines/edges........fuck. What I thought was compound built up on the panel, was indeed a burn. Right through the clear and paint layer that I can tell. Below is a pic of the damage. About an inch and a half long right along the fender line. I about passed out. I was just too excited and impatient to stop and take the time to tape off the work area like the many youtube videos I studied over winter on how to do this. Shit, the practice I did on the van went perfectly. Granted I was working on the hood with no body lines or edges close. So now what??

I have an airbrush paint guy that virtually works miracles on cars. I have seen his work, and had him work on my stuff a few times with great(not factory perfect) results.....to be expected. But this needs to be as perfect as possible. So do I pay him the $100 to try? Or should I just suck it up and take it to a body shop? Odds are they will want to respray the whole rear quarter and reclear it. Thats no big deal. Another question, can I submit this as a comprehensive claim through my car insurance? I have no deductible for it and this seems like what comp is for no? I dont want to call them and get that started if they are going to notate all this on my insurance. Or send it to carfax.... What to do. I wont straight pay a body shop for this. Will end up being $1500 probably. Here is the pic. Please my pain and guilt has been enough, I dont need anymore flaming unless you are [MENTION=112]ktraver97ss[/MENTION]. Then you have my permission to say I told you so.

1978645_10201387762446995_452595408_n.jpg

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
This sucks, sorry. I have never used a rotary. I have a 7424 and use it with great results, but alas, it is slow and tedious. Isnt this a daily driver? I would just run it that way if it is.....you never know whats going to happen to a daily. As far as insurance goes, they will fix it. Just because you caused the damage doesnt mean they wont fix it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Lol you guys. No its not a DD, just my pleasure cruiser. I just got off the phone with Geico, and they said it would be covered under a comp claim with no at fault so it will not effect my premiums. Very cool. Now I just have to find a shop that can do it good. Adams in McHenry is great I know, plus they have the newer paint guns like the ones the factory uses. Thats what they told me. But yeah I think thats the way to go on this. It should come out great if they do it right. Then it can be blended and so on.

[MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] a blue sharpie...really? Man i know this is no R8, but its still my baby. I want it to be as perfect as it can be for as long as possible. This one is a keeper for a few years atleast, and to me this is a huge eye sore. Sucks even worse that I did it myself.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
You want real advice. Here it is. Most burns can be blended with a compound to the point where they are barely noticeable. The trick is to stay away from the center of the burn. The edges need to be thinned out to help with the obvious but it can be done by someone with extensive experience. Not a porter cable guy. If the actual paint is missing there's not much buffing will do for that.

I would hesitate to take and fix it though a body shop for two reasons.

1. A body shop is going to want to respray the panel and if it isn't done correctly your chances of hiding that are going to be way Worse than hiding a buff burn
2. Your going to file a claim to compensate your costs which means there is a very good chance your paper trail is going to end up on carfax. That in turn could potentially limit your buyer down the road as you said eventually you will sell it.

If you do decide you can't live with it I would start with the airbrush guy and have him use panel clear. It's a blending clear coat. The problem is it takes a REALLY SKILLED PAINT GUY to blend clear coat finishes. A really good paint guy can simulate orange peel, show car glass finish. Good luck.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Oh yeah, Your using a foam pad which is for skilled buffers only. It's very unforgiving. Change pressures on the direction of the pad and even a skilled buffer can burn through clear coat.

Pick up a 3m super buff pad and plate. It's a wool pad and is much easier on newbies.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You want real advice. Here it is. Most burns can be blended with a compound to the point where they are barely noticeable. The trick is to stay away from the center of the burn. The edges need to be thinned out to help with the obvious but it can be done by someone with extensive experience. Not a porter cable guy. If the actual paint is missing there's not much buffing will do for that.

I would hesitate to take and fix it though a body shop for two reasons.

1. A body shop is going to want to respray the panel and if it isn't done correctly your chances of hiding that are going to be way Worse than hiding a buff burn
2. Your going to file a claim to compensate your costs which means there is a very good chance your paper trail is going to end up on carfax. That in turn could potentially limit your buyer down the road as you said eventually you will sell it.

If you do decide you can't live with it I would start with the airbrush guy and have him use panel clear. It's a blending clear coat. The problem is it takes a REALLY SKILLED PAINT GUY to blend clear coat finishes. A really good paint guy can simulate orange peel, show car glass finish. Good luck.

the proper way to "blend clear coat" is to not.

a good eye will always see an edge of clear coat- that is why entire panels get cleared.

don't get me wrong though... a good "airbrush" guy will get it so that 95% of people can't ever tell that it was there though.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
personally... i would grab some touch up paint and call it a day... you're going to get more scratches down the road for sure....

if I wasn't down for doing this- I would just go get it fixed at a body shop- it's a fender so it's relatively easy. if it was the 1/4 panel it would be much more labor intensive.

It is the 1/4 panel. Passenger rear. Im going to run out and get a few estimates on my lunch break to see what some big shops here in Schaumburg think the cost and process should be. I have a feeling they are going to want to take the current clear off, respray and blend the area, then reclear the whole panel. Probably $1500 Im guessing.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It is the 1/4 panel. Passenger rear. Im going to run out and get a few estimates on my lunch break to see what some big shops here in Schaumburg think the cost and process should be. I have a feeling they are going to want to take the current clear off, respray and blend the area, then reclear the whole panel. Probably $1500 Im guessing.

Right through the clear and paint layer that I can tell. Below is a pic of the damage. About an inch and a half long right along the fender line.

Fuck... from this I thought it was on the fender...

yeah man. It's going to be over a grand for sure.

no doubt... because looking real quick... antenna will have to be r&i'd... rear bumper... trunk lid may be pulled but might not... rear backglass will be r&i'd... 1/4 window will be r&i'd... ground effects will be pulled... they may even want to pull your windshield to do it the "right" way.

inch and a half long you said?... i'd find a good body shop to "airbrush" it and light the porter cable on fire so you never feel like touching your car again with it :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
No fault will effect your premiums. If it doesn't it means you're using your accident forgiveness for this. Do you want to waste it on this?

I'm the same way but I often have to real myself back in and tell myself that it's a car and problems this small don't merit expenses that large, even if it's an expense that I won't directly see (nominally higher insurance premiums).

Touch up paint, buff it again, have a beer. You'll think that it's the first thing everyone's eyes go to when they see your car but in reality you're the only one that will ever know.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So as expected, both high end body shops I stopped at here in Sch. said between $1500-$2k because as KJ said they would need to sand it down and blend most of the side of the car. Also removing rear bumper, side glass as well as all the mouldings on that side....fuck me. But on the positive(maybe), he said that Geico usually just comes by and writes a check for the damage then lets you do what you want with it. If I could get a big check from it, maybe I can still have my airbrush guy fix it and pocket the extra..... Yeah I know thats the douche thing to do but who knows.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
personally... i would grab some touch up paint and call it a day... you're going to get more scratches down the road for sure....

if I wasn't down for doing this- I would just go get it fixed at a body shop- it's a fender so it's relatively easy. if it was the 1/4 panel it would be much more labor intensive.

+1 on the touch up paint. Plus you don't get a ding on CarFax for getting the car repaired.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info