Do all Grand Prixs suck in snow...

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
or is it just mine? I just picked up an 04 GTP Comp G. The rear end on this car slides at the slightest hint of trying to turn. It's ridiculous, It has slid on me at 10 mph in a parking lot. Tires in the back are getting close to time to replace but far from shot. Thank goodness for stability control for saving my ass. I was sideways on 88 last night at 35 mph making a lane change.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Probably tires. Grand Prixs are beasts in the snow. Get some cheap used winter tires next year. I've ran winters and good/bad all seasons and never had a problem in the 10 winters driving mine in the snow. Saw a few central Michigan winters too when I was in school.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I just drove the Mustang GT about 50 miles yesterday in that crappy snowstorm and had absolutely no problems with my Bridgestone Blizzak's. I out handled, out braked and even out accelerated practically everyone on the road. And this is in a relatively light RWD car that makes a good amount of torque.

It's the tires. You could have brand new tires, but they can still suck in the snow.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I just drove the Mustang GT about 50 miles yesterday in that crappy snowstorm and had absolutely no problems with my Bridgestone Blizzak's. I out handled, out braked and even out accelerated practically everyone on the road. And this is in a relatively light RWD car that makes a good amount of torque.

It's the tires. You could have brand new tires, but they can still suck in the snow.

Same experience in previous Mustangs.

Aron - new set of tires will square you away.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Did someone mention tires yet?

About 6 years ago a Pontiac dealer gave me a Grand Prix loaner while they were doing some warranty work on mine. The car was horrible. You literally couldn't even change lanes when there was snow on the road because it would lose control. One day while driving it reasonably on 53 I went to change lanes and it kicked out on me, spun around and hit the barrier wall on 53 backwards. The built up snow on the wall took most of the damage. The car just had some scuffs on the bumper cover which I felt no guilt about forgetting to tell them when I returned it since they didn't have the decency to put me in something safe.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I had a 2005 Comp G, and then after it GXP... both were outstanding in the snow and this was when I was in the midwest. Never once got stuck or couldn't beast through unplowed roads.

Sounds like even if you have tires that have tread on them they aren't good for snow at all. Doesn't mean you need dedicated snow tires, but replace with something that works all year round.

Or you're terrible at driving in inclement weather.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
A little "update"...there has to be something wrong in the back end. I was just driving to the gym in the light rain, and once I get up to around 50, I can feel the back end start to dance around. Tires btw are Bridgestone Turanza Assurance that aren't quite to the wear bars yet. Thoughts? Alignment issue? Wheel bearing? It rides smooth on dry pavement, no noises.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info