Passing emissions with check engine light on?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Gotta get a smog test before I get a sticker. The check engine light is on and I went to the auto parts store and to my surprise a few things came up...

Code P0108 – MAF circuit

Code P0500 – MAP sensor

Code P1636 – Generator L –Terminal

Car is a 2000 firebird trans am. Any shot I pass? How about if I reset the codes? I miss OBD1 and no emissions testing :(

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
I agree will HILROD about the gas cap. It could also be a small crack in the gas fill tube. Had an explorer that did that to me a few years ago. My pops just passed today a Durango with 160k never touched exhaust v8. I find the emissions part isn't hard to pass it's usually the small things that get you.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
In 96 fords had a non-complaint joke of an evaporative monitoring system. EPA let it fly for the M/Y.
It only has a purge flow sensor, that fail continuously.
I'm sure the T-bird had set the code as pending failure. It needed another drive cycle to set it as a hard failure & turn the light on. The state's global OBD system will pull pending non SES lamp commanding codes also.
Then 2000 & previous year vehicles are allowed 2 readiness tests not set to pass.
(01 & up only one not set is allowed)
So I can see how it squeaked through.

As for the OP your going to have to have no SES lamp on command/no codes & all but 2 readiness tests set on a 2000 T/A.

Oh an in addition for the non GM vehicles, standard list of equipt emissions components with accompanying readiness tests must be active in the PCM.
These lists are easy to obtain for the state, hense why the integrated it into emission testing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info