2001 Durango questions

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Got a 4.7 in my grand cherokee, it stalled one night when it was - out and I come to find out it only had a quart and a half of oil in it (Long story the hood was stuck shut) topped off the oil once I got the hood open and it started right up and runs like a champ. 187k on it and ticking. Strong engine IMO.

Sounds like that truck was well taken care of..

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
My jeep I bought back in 2005 with 84,000 miles on it, since I bought it I noticed that the fun was always kinda slow but I didn't care, three years later I chenged the front radiator due to some leaking and my brother told me that my jeep needed a new fun clutch, I said why? And then he showed me why... the truck was running and with his bare hand stopped the fun from turning. The electronic fun was always the one cooling the truck and I didn't know. Lolo lol this is another proof that this angine can take a beat. Lol

Oh I must say,

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yes, hydro fan off the power steering.

Bikrboy knows about these.

The v8s are something completely new that Chrysler released in 1999. They were on Ward's 10 Best Engines of the Year when they were released. They used a over-head cam design with aluminum heads, a generational leap over the previous v8s which were straight out of the 60s (with fuel injection added as an afterthought). The v8 motors tend to produce equal or better fuel economy AND more power than the I6. As for the reliability concerns - there are many well into the 200k zone. The V8s are less forgiving of neglect and do require specific coolant to prevent corrosion of the aluminum components. In addition, if overheated, the head gaskets WILL blow and the heads will probably warp. This is due to the difference in expansion between aluminum and iron and is typical of ANY engine of iron/aluminum design.

Other somewhat uncommon issues: if overheated, the valve seats can drop from the head since they are made from steel and the aluminum head expands far enough for them to drop out. The front cover near the water pump can become eroded from corrosion, but this is usually caused by using the wrong coolant (HOAT only!). It also may have been caused by a faulty casting run on the front covers. For most people, if this part were going to fail, it would have failed and been replaced already. There is a rumor that sludge is an issue with the 4.7L v8, but that is a rumor carried over from the discontinued 5.2L in the Dodge Dakota and ZJ Grand Cherokee. Failure to change the PCV valve every 60,000 miles also contributes. Sludge is always possible, but with proper maintenance should not be an issue.

The V8s bring an extra 40hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque to the plate without being much heavier than their I6 counterparts. Most of the weight difference isn't in the engine though, and the engine itself may be lighter than the I6. The added weight is elsewhere: transmission and axles.

Drivetrain
The V8 got the much-stronger 45RFE (and later, 545RFE) transmission which is still used today in the 390hp Hemi Ram. These rarely ever fail. In addition, they added a Dana 44a rear end which is not perfect, but is much stronger than the Dana 35 in the I6 models.

Specs
The standard 4.7L v8 makes 235hp @ 4800rpm and 295 ft-lbs of torque @ 3200rpm. The 4.7L Powertech runs fine on regular grade fuel, 87 octane is recommended. EPA estimates for fuel economy on 2WD and 4WD 4.7 models is 14 city/ 19 highway. The 4.7L models are rated at 6500lbs towing capacity.

Off road where torque is the king, both motors are fine. On-road is where the v8 shines. How often do you need to do 0-60 off-road? Most of the wheeling I do has an average speed of about 6mph and a top of 22 (per my GPS). But where the I6 will get you to 45mph quickly, the v8 has no problems getting up and going into freeway traffic, towing a heavy load, or climbing the pass fully loaded.

Advantages: Power/Torque, mileage, stronger transmission/axles, towing capacity, won't have as great a need to regear due to higher torque, alternator/power steering pump located up high away from the ground/mud/water.
Disadvantages: not as forgiving of neglect, a little harder/more expensive to work on, not as common if you need to replace it.

Thats from a Jeep GC site

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info