GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Hello forum!

I have a 99 jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, it has about 145 k miles on itbut it still runs great, the problem right now is that my jeep needs some work at the rear differential, it's making noies like if it was screaming for help.

The question is that have anyone ever replaced the rear bearings and seal on a grand cherokee? Or ever do a rebuild kit? Please I will need some input to understand why is so hard to work with such thing.

I been in 4 local shops to ask for a price but three of them told me that they don't do it, the other place I went was in the jeep dealer but I guess you can imagine what they charge. Lol

Is it really too hard to calibrate those gears? Why is everyone so afraid of doing it?

If anyone could please tell me where to buy the part at a decent price I will really appreciate, its a danna 44.

Or if someone can refer me to a shop that charges decent prices, I will really appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Well yeah, I spoke to him before the new year but he never called back, we pmed each other but suddenly he stopped replaying, maybe he doesn't want my money. Lol

[MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION]. Are you still available? Is it still the same price?

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
there's a shop in river grove call "world wide unlimited transmission" they rebuild and work on 4x4. you can bring your own parts and they charge you for labor. had my xj axles regeared couple years ago. they pretty reasonable.
773 622 7666

Thanks man, talked to him on the phone and he seems to be a pretty good guy, I will have him check my shit today and whatever it needs I will decide.

The problem is that the jeep needs all bearings and seals for sure, but beacuse I continued driving it like that for the last two years im afraid that it will need a new set of ring and pinion. That will suck!

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Well yeah, I spoke to him before the new year but he never called back, we pmed each other but suddenly he stopped replaying, maybe he doesn't want my money. Lol

@daturbosix. Are you still available? Is it still the same price?

last we talked you were going to order the complete rebuild kit and let me know when you had it to schedule some thing. i never heard back.
when your ready let me know.

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
I was supposed to investigate what kind of danna my jeep has, so that give me a price on the kit. I pmed you letting you know that I had a danna 44 but you just never replied. But any way, I'll see what this other guy tells, if anything else I need I know you're there, right?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
[MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION] what does the rebuild kit replace that you posted? My rear end sounds like a bad wheel bearing in the rear (haven't ruled it out) and gets louder the faster I go, but I also need to change the passenger side rear axle shaft as the ABS ring is damaged. I'm wondering if it's worth fixing the rear end vs just throwing in a whole used rear end.

Thoughts? Seems like it potentially would be cheaper but more risky? Maybe? to get a used rear end then to buy a used axle shaft and the rebuild kit you posted? Plus it might actually be something else causing the bearing noise?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
If it were me, I'd take my chances on a junk yard rear end.. Not 100% sure what's included with the kit, but u would need 2 carrier bearings, 2 axle bearings, a pinion bearing and 3 seals.

In the past I've been able to find xj and ZJ axles used of craigslist for less than $100

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I know my dads xj sounds like it's making rear bearing noises but even after I replaced all the bearings it still howled. Later to find out the transferase is what's making that noise

Thanks for the input, I'm just gonna have to lift it up and listen around to hear what's what.

Shit, maybe it is the transfer case.. The quadratrac/quadradrive unit is toast. Ever convert one of these to the selectrac i6 stuff?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Swap is easy. I have read all about it. My tc is junk too and looking to do it when it geta warm

I've read about it too and have been flip flopping over it, but I keep seeing so much 242 transfer case stuff on craigslist that the whole swap can be done cheaper then a rebuilt 247TC.

I lost the link that I had that had a list of everything needed and step by step process, you wouldn't happen to have one?

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Yesterday I went to pick up my jeep and it was awesome to drive it back home w/o all those fucking noises. :fy:

It was 500.00 out the door for ALL inner and outter bearings and all seals. (Included pinion bearing and seal), 3.000 miles or 3 months warranty.

About the T C swap sounds interesting, I always had the idea in my head but I never knew that it was a popular swap. I'm gonna read all about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info