Help me pick a little suv/ Jeep Patriot?

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
My roommate is gonna finally trade in the '04 tahoe and downsize to a small-mid size suv. He doesn't know shit about shit with cars so he's asking me for help. I can't offer much because brand new suv's I have little experience with. I tried talking him out of an suv altogether because he has zero need for one but he's used to it and can't live with a car now. I don't know what's really the most solid trouble-free stuff brand new nowadays. I told him to go out and test drive stuff but I dunno.

General requirements:
*he's only really looking at new '13/'14
*looks more boxy and whatnot like a truck and not the half-ass suv that it is
*AWD/4WD preferably paired with a 4cyl or something that can do good MPG
*cost is not a set-in-stone thing but basically under 30k
*features and toys are not very important

Right now the ones we've all been looking at have been:
*Toyota Hylander (he's ok the way it looks but I think AWD is only available with a v6)
*Honda Pilot (he likes the looks of that one a lot - maybe same issue as above but I forget)
*Jeep Patriot (this is what I really want to ask about)
*Hyundai Santa Fe (not totally sure how we feel about that one but I have a hookup at hyundai so it was an automatic option)

We aren't ignoring ford or gm but they don't have anything that really fits the bill and looks like something he wants and they have been buying nothing but chevys the last 10 years. I was starting to wonder if they were actually aware of other brands out there. I'm haphazardly assuming the yota,hamster, and dog eater are all about equal in reliability. I really like the idea of buying american and going with the jeep even though I'm not a big jeep guy myself. It's not bad looking compared to the others in the bunch so I wanted to ask about it. How are new jeeps reliability-wise? My mental picture of jeep is that certain vehicles are bullet-proof and other one's are terrible. So how is this one?

So far, the reviews have been good.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
Want to give you my SUV search experience...

I "liked" the rav4 because the mpg and I like toyotas. The rav4 was just too small for us, simply because we needed more room, we have 3 kids. It DOES have a 3rd row jump seat, but still. That 3rd child is a teen. We now have the 4runner. Originally I owned the sequoia, but that gas mpg was sucky and it didnt fit in my garage. Thing was a beast. I LOVED everything about that sequoia, BUT gas. Its not cheap by any means. It was amazing. I had the platinum edition, so it had everything you can think of. I actually really do miss it. I just didn't like loading kids up outside or those gas prices. My only downfall. It did allow for flex fuel, but after a few fill ups on that, I could feel a difference. So that's that.

I drove that Rav4 and to me? It just felt like a high car. Didn't feel like it should have SUV attached to it, so this would be a good thing. I came VERY close to dropping the ball on purchasing a Limited Rav4, but finally found my 4Runner with a 3rd row. Very hard to find.

I "do" believe the Ravs are available in either 4 or 6. I never look at 4cyl, lol. Sorry. I can't help you there. But I can tell you that with Toyota? The SR5 packages may be basic, but they are not that far off from the top packages!! Honestly.

So I did same thing. I went from a beast if a Sequoia down to a 4runner. We are VERY happy. Miss all the bells and whistles, but it's not all that bad! Still is an awesome behicle. For not brushing off snow or being in rain and HARDLY filling up, I'll take it!!

The 4runner is way cool. Im more of a truck person and that's what this feels more like. The rav4 felt more like a car to me and was small, but I was trying to downsize from a sequoia, so it may be unfair to say that. I also used to drive a Tundra. Both V8's. not helping. The 4runner is my choice because just more "me." The rav4 would be more what you're looking for.

*** oh, and people make fun of toyota? I've never been happiest. Been an american car all my damn life and NOTHING but problems and recalls and bs. This is my 4th in short time? Everybody I knows also same thing.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
my g/f bought her Patriot new in 07, she just hit 90k miles and hasnt had any major problems.
basic maintenance items.

she wanted a RAV4 but after driving a FWD non sport she didnt like it. the Patriot actually has more foot room in the front two seats that the RAV4.

it handles well in all conditions and when the snow gets deep, she locks the 4WD and has never gotten stuck.

the 4cyl paired with the CVT does feel a bit under powered but it gets the job done.
she sees a combined MPG of 25 or so

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I mentioned the rav as my mom has an '08 limited v6 and it has been terrific. They do some towing with it even. I know two people that have the late 90's rav with tons of miles and neglect and they are still running just fine. I believe in them. My roommate just doesn't like the way it looks. It's too pussy for him or something. His mom just bought a new cr-v and he feels the same about that so he's just a hard sell on anything that small. He kinda wants the more mid-size range or at least the appearance of.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Sorry Rodger, the Patriot is awful...ly outdated. You can get them cheap though. It's just an ancient car with not as much value, room or refinement for the money.

Check out the Mazda CX-5. Subaru Forester too. The new Jeep Cherokee is also nice, a little larger than the Patriot and a modern competitive SUV. Plus dealers have been throwing a lot of money off on them.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sorry Rodger, the Patriot is awful...ly outdated. You can get them cheap though. It's just an ancient car with not as much value, room or refinement for the money.

Check out the Mazda CX-5. Subaru Forester too. The new Jeep Cherokee is also nice, a little larger than the Patriot and a modern competitive SUV. Plus dealers have been throwing a lot of money off on them.

Ohhhh, forester, that's another good choice.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
DETAILS ON THE TAHOE PLEASE!!!!

That tahoe is a money pit now. It was a nice truck once upon a time. Silver LT package loaded with most of everything including rear dvd player and whatnot. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy at this point. It's got like 140k on it and it's having all sorts of stupid problems. Maybe a year ago not even the stability system went I guess and although I told them not to, they went to the dealer and paid something like 2 grand to fix that which was a module replacement. Lately it has been having days where it just doesn't start period. The first time it did it, I checked fuel pressure and it didn't have any so they took it in and they replaced the sending unit connector and deemed the fuel pump fine. Still doesn't start sometimes. It doesn't help that he never puts more than a 1/4 tank of gas in it at a time. Let's see, the power seats haven't worked for a few years now. It just burns up harnesses under the seat. It's been maintained well and otherwise runs and drives great but he can't deal with it anymore. They were talkin about takin it to carmax or something and getting cash for it once they get the replacement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info