A tribute to Franken swapped cars of the past

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Goddamn I've done a lot of weird things over the years...

The Frankenswap thread got me thinking about the swaps I've done, and my future projects.

My previous 'Franken Cars':

1992 Civic CX Hatch (The Car I grew up in, given to me from my father in a time of need)

PIC-0430.jpg

Swapped a 1996 B18B1 (Acura Integra LS motor) into it:

PIC-0050.jpg

Maybe only a year after getting rid of that one, I purchased this one, and did the same swap:

PIC_0136-1.jpg

PIC_0142.jpg

Got tired of the "Manual Everything" route of Honda's, and that obviously it was still slow, and decided that my beater truck could use some love.

Put an Explorer 5.0 in it, and then tossed a blower and cam kit at it a year later:

5d2b8fa6.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

When I first got it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ujg4TWneM

With the Blower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAZBfjg7PGo

And with smaller pulley and cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmk03-dQwIQ

Due to Emissions, lack of tuning options, and then moving to an apartment, I had to part it out, but managed to get stuck with the motor.

Fast forward another year, and I found myself with a garage again, and a mild 302 sitting on an engine stand.

So I tossed Heads on it, and put it in a 97 BMW 318i

19A06A4E-AE1F-4AE6-9C0D-B0D5F7AB2B66-5024-0000075D9C4641E1_zps4c2f7d96.jpg

974A22E2-750A-4847-BEFD-F63D7D6F7FD4-5024-0000075DA1D8E662_zps4c019f13.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaXVKgflkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9cN2VZ5ts

This I parted out and sold off as I realized if I kept going down that road, it would turn into even more of a money-pit than it already was, and had more important priorities.

Now I'm back in an apartment again (hope to purchase our first home before the year is out), and already have plans lined up for the next ignorant swap project.... 4.6 DOHC V8 in the nose of a Taurus or Sable wagon (95-02 Continental subframe swap) as a general crap hauler/dog mover/grocery getter so the Mustang and Cooper can have some miles off-loaded from them.

There are only maybe 2-3 completed cars with that swap running around nation wide, but there isn't any real reason not to, as the cars are platform mates, and its literally just a sub frame swap, and some wiring if I avoid the air suspension Conti models (which can also be converted).

Have any of you all had swapped cars previously (or currently)? Post up!

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
its a .030 over, stock short with a mild cam, 4x iron heads. nothing special at all.
i have a 4-bolt 400 block from a 72(i think) trans am, that is like holy grail of factory blocks that im gonna go a pump gas 496 with KRE heads eventually. gotta save up like $6000 to build it. lol

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I never make it past procurement, planning and the beginning of assembly with mine, I always get distracted or sell shit off for something else. :tear:

305 -> 383 '77 C10. (This, the weakest of the three, is naturally the one I made it the farthest with.)
7M -> 1UZ-FE '88 MKIII.
POS ll0 -> Hybrid Ecotec/Getrag '98 Saturn Coupe.

SKYLINE

Regular
Apr 21, 2013
I while back I had a Nissan 200sx. And I swap the 1.6l it had for an sr20 that those cars come with in Japan,. It was sweeet put a 10 psi turbo later on that year. And it was a little scary to drive. Since I never upgraded the suspension or brakes Lmao. I wanted to converted to RWD. But some Nissan guru told me it would be easier to make it AWD but it's to much work. And it wouldn't pass emissions :(. So I sold it. I will post pictures later I have to dig through my photo bucket account.

I currently have an s13, at first I wanted to do a 2jz swap. But I like driving it, I'm just going to keep it stock and keep driving it daily.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
The 1UZ Mark III sounds pretty bad ass actually. I've always wondered if any of the truck engines with more displacement could be swapped/bastardized with say an SC400 or something. Would be amusing.

Sure is. Out of the box, they put out around the same numbers as the 7M, but weigh considerably less and leave piles of room for activities in the bay. Meanwhile, the engines are ludicrously over-engineered and as a result, are near bulletproof with the introduction of bewst. Let's not forget to mention being insanely well balanced and rev-happy (QUAD CAM, YO!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkawTiyIg10

In the end though, for me, I started having trouble justifying a swap to an engine with only one additional liter of displacement and no aftermarket (it was a crapshoot swapping them back then. Since, it's been nailed down to a bolt-in affair, it's become so common). Hence, my interest in semi-uncharted waters, aiming to cram an LQ4/9 and Tremec, along with a big single or twin medium-frame snails in one.

There's never been much interest in the 2UZ IIRC. It's a much lower-revving, torque-boat of an engine. Plus, I want to say there is somehow nearly less aftermarket for it.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Cool vid, wonder if the intake and cams are compatible. If so, then that'll probably fix a great deal of the revving issue. Provided the bottom end takes it of course.

Not sure on cross-compatibility, honestly, the 2UZ DOES have it's own block (Iron in lieu of Aluminum for starters) for sure, been ages since I've paid attention and slightly longer since I was wrenching for 'Yota though.

I know the Tundra guys loved pairing their S/C setups with a 5.4 Bore and Stroke to their 2UZ's, but the prices I recall them tossing out on Internals being... Frightening, to say the least. Like, "You could build five 1,000BHP LSx engines for this much" frightening. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info