Oil... buy by bottle or bulk?

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I used to buy oil at a dealership and filled my own container. It saved me a ton of money. I blew my engine this summer and had a TON of sludge inside of it. I have heard different stories as to the cause of sludge... most saying oil would not do it if I changed synthetic every 3,000 miles.

I have switched back to bottles, but its 5 times as much as going to the dealer. I want to go back to the dealer, but want to know what you all think.Is it safe to buy by bulk? Did my sludge issue cause my engine to blow as a result of dealer oil? My oil pump got clogged and my engine starved for oil and locked up.

BTW about two days before the freeze up I put in half a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner... any blame to this?Opinions please

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Well, all the oil change places and dealerships have it in big drums. So unless other cars from there are also sludging up, I doubt it's the oil. And your fuel injector cleaner went in the gas (if you followed the directions), so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Other factors are likely at play, such as how often you change the oil, your driving habits, the viscosity of the oil, and how your engine has been running...

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
What kind of oil and how long were your oil change intervals? What kind of driving habits did you have and what engine is this?

Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic. I drive like a pissed off teenager unless I have passengers.

Well, all the oil change places and dealerships have it in big drums. So unless other cars from there are also sludging up, I doubt it's the oil. And your fuel injector cleaner went in the gas (if you followed the directions), so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Other factors are likely at play, such as how often you change the oil, your driving habits, the viscosity of the oil, and how your engine has been running...

I would change it every 3,000, but this was when the car was at 671 horsepower and was my daily driver and I do mean DAILY driver.

Don't switch to Synth on a high-mileage car, also, if you're running a good synthetic, there is absolutely no reason to be doing 3k oil changes. Whoever told you that is either an idiot or a Salesman.

That aside, no, I'd call it doubtful that it was the oil.

I changed it every 3,000 because I was pushing a lot of power at the time. These days I have 320 horsepower at most I would think. I have been feeding it synthetic, but now I should go back to regular?

Sounds like I can go back to buying oil at the dealer. BTW I have been feeding the wife's truck the same oil from the same place, the engine has not blown up.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
I have dealt with many large oil distributors over the years.
Sure they all have their premium brands.

But they also offer lower cost bulk oils for cost savings.
They have house blends or bottom of tank drain off's they mix up.
With all these oil change specials at $20 or less they're not making money at $3+ a quart premium bulk oil. Heck oil changes are not a high profit margin item period.
It's no wonder which bulk oil is popular.

I know we for a minority, we pay big for premium bulk oil.
Who knows what that dealer you where getting oil from was having the bulk tank filled with.....

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
How long were you buying the oil at the dealer, was it at the same dealer every time? I just read something at work on the API testing a lot of bulk oil tanks and finding out that essentially 1 in 5 tests are failing API standards. Whether the product doesn't match the tank label, mis-labeled/bad/etc etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info