Swap questions

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
How difficult is it to find a LS1 fbody donor than I can get most of what I need off of it?
And even with having a donor car with most of the parts I'll need.. how long would a swap take with 2 people doing the labor?

This will determine when I do the swap on the bird. I'll most likely be moving around April-ish and didn't want to start a big project that would be an issue with the move.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Its not a simple quick swap at all. Basically you will have to completely tear down and replace almost the entire car. Engine, trans, cooling system, K member, steering parts, exhaust, wiring it all up. Also since that is 3.4l V6 it will have a stupid 2 piece fragile as shit Driveshaft and an open 3.08 rearend that would need to be replaced as well. It would only be worth it if you were going Racecar.

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Its not a simple quick swap at all. Basically you will have to completely tear down and replace almost the entire car. Engine, trans, cooling system, K member, steering parts, exhaust, wiring it all up. Also since that is 3.4l V6 it will have a stupid 2 piece fragile as shit Driveshaft and an open 3.08 rearend that would need to be replaced as well. It would only be worth it if you were going Racecar.

People have made it seem really simple online.. thats why I come back to here for the answers without the b.s.

If that's the case, with the move cutting into project time, I'll fix the 6 and save for a badass 2nd gen or LS1 4th gen

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
People have made it seem really simple online.. thats why I come back to here for the answers without the b.s.

If that's the case, with the move cutting into project time, I'll fix the 6 and save for a badass 2nd gen or LS1 4th gen

All engine swaps are a complicated matter. They make is sound easy online because in truth it is easier than most swaps because it is almost all bolt in. Bolt in or not though... Its still basically rebuilding an almost complete car.

Also on the insurance break for the v6 vs v8... When I went from a 3.4l v6 to an LS1 my insurance went up like $9 a month. Call your insurance and ask them. I bet the increase in cost will be only a few bucks a month as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info