John
Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
On a side note, the beam pattern looks stupid as shit, and people will be crashing all over the place from glare, unless that shot is just the bulb out in the open in his truck.

Ps: A 35W 4300K hid bulb normally puts out ~3200-3400 lumens... so his kit isn't that impressive. Stock OEM hids with projectors will output the above, anyone running a 55w HID kit is around 4,000 or more lumens.

If you buy stupid shit like 8000K or the purple hids (at like 12000K) for looks, then it's much less. 4300K color will be the brightest and closest to "daylight"

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've done quite a bit with LEDs over the years...There's no way you're going to get a nice beam pattern with that setup.

While, technically, they may numerically put out a lumen count that is similar to HIDs, they're doing it with a very narrow, focused beam coming off of each LED. Whereas HIDs and Halogen/filament style bulbs do it with a very wide(360*) pattern that is easier to manipulate and focus with headlight housings(both traditional and projector).

AKA: not worth the dough.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
4300K is actually closer to the standard OEM Halogen bulb color. Daylight is typically considered 55-5600K(High noon on a sunny day). 5000K HIDs seem to be the closest to daylight.

I'm a fan of 6000K bulbs...I like the hint of blue in them.

I guess I was getting more at 4300K is the brightest and most lumen output in the spectrum, which is why it's the color for OEM hids for all auto makers.

I actually like 5000K myself, I had 6000K on my old grand prix but went back to 4300K because it was noticeably not as bright.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I was toying with the idea of adding LEDs to our lineup probably 4 or 5 years ago and bought a bunch of LED lights for the fogs, headlights, etc. They were horrible.

As b00sted said, it's a direct beam so you have this concentrated super high intensity light and then you step a foot over to either side and nothing. That and to retrofit them into anything is not possible because you really need for them to be facing forward to be effective but you can't fit enough of them on a retrofit setup to do anything and still fit through the stock light hole.

So they try to mimic the 360 pattern and let the stock housing do it's thing but it's not a true 360 degree spread. It's just bits of scattered light everywhere.

The fogs I had had something like 40 leds on them and the fogs barely looked like they were on just because all the light was wasted.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
yes, that guy is a douche bag because the is way to bright.

[MENTION=702]SleeperLS[/MENTION] the bike already has projectors for the low beam, and halogen for the highs.

so everyone complaining about the lights in halogens, your argument is invalid for me. so are these worth the extra money in a projector headlight over a hid?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
yes, that guy is a douche bag because the is way to bright.

[MENTION=702]SleeperLS[/MENTION] the bike already has projectors for the low beam, and halogen for the highs.

so everyone complaining about the lights in halogens, your argument is invalid for me. so are these worth the extra money in a projector headlight over a hid?

Not unless it's an LED projector. Otherwise it will just make the issues even more noticeable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info