Motorcycle cop drag racing

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iejUjXCXQlE

COP FIRED ..... A Montgomery police officer was caught on camera drag racing, and it has cost him his job.
Montgomery resident Lawrence Lee Spillers recorded the video with a camera attached to his motorcycle helmet Sunday afternoon. The video quickly reached Montgomery Police Department officials.

The five-minute video starts out with Spillers and the uniformed officer stopped at a red light on Eastern Boulevard in Montgomery. Spillers asks the officer if he wants to race.

"I got turbo," the unidentified officer responds. That's when the light turns green and the two take off. Montgomery Police Chief Kevin Murphy says the video is upsetting.

"For the very thing that we are out here enforcing the law, for an officer to cross that line and violate it, there's no excuse. I will not tolerate it and he is no longer wearing the badge," the chief said.

Murphy confirms the officer resigned and could still face charges.

Aussie - at this point, it is probably worth asking .... "do you believe the cop was drag racing, or accelerating fast before restraining his speed, or not drag racing at all ? POLL below.

"There may be a traffic violation charge brought against this former officer for drag racing and the elements are there, one just has to look at the video and see for themselves," Murphy said.

The man who challenged the officer and recorded the video disagrees. "I think the officer was just trying to have fun," Spillers said. "I don't think he should be charged with anything and I don't think he should have lost his job."

Murphy says this one former officer's actions don't reflect the entire organization

What are your guys thoughts?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah that's not good. I dig goosing it off the line a bit but that's a full on sprint and he's egging on a fellow driver.

I wanted to come into this and be like "cops can't do anything any more without facing punishment" but I think this is a legitimate response. It sucks that it cost him his job but if you're out there ticketing your fellow citizens for less than this then you better be beyond reproach.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Ehhh... watch the rear view mirror. The cop was out of it before the other side of the intersection, and judging by the way he accelerated the first time (which was obviously not a race), it's hard to call that a race.

Fired is over the top IMO. A suspension, maybe a demotion back to patrol, but fired sounds like a heavy handed response.

And the dude is a dick for posting it. He could have at LEAST blurred the guys face & the dept. markings.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
I ran into my buddy once who is a state trooper once on the highway, I ran him real quick and it was sad haha... nothing crazy but he wanted to see how the cruiser would fare from likie 50-80... Didnt do well... In response to the vid, That was a little exagerated... He shouldnt have lost his job over that....

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
The Montgomery Police Department is confirming that the motorcycle officer who was captured on video drag racing with a private citizen will get his job back.

WSFA 12 News first reported the story earlier this week after video of the race was posted on YouTube. The story has since gone viral with national reports from outlets such as CNN and NBC's Today Show.

The officer resigned from his position with the Montgomery Police Department after MPD was made aware of the video.

The person who challenged the officer to the race, Lee Spillers, was not happy that the officer lost his job and started a petition to have him reinstated.

WSFA 12 News reporter Tametria Conner is scheduled to interview Montgomery Police Chief Kevin Murphy Thursday afternoon regarding the reinstatement.

We'll have his reaction in all our evening newscasts.

Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.

:bigthumb:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Ehhh... watch the rear view mirror. The cop was out of it before the other side of the intersection, and judging by the way he accelerated the first time (which was obviously not a race), it's hard to call that a race.

Fired is over the top IMO. A suspension, maybe a demotion back to patrol, but fired sounds like a heavy handed response.

And the dude is a dick for posting it. He could have at LEAST blurred the guys face & the dept. markings.

This

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes

gCti6b7nBgko7K8rs2X6W1AbdBemVCFk-mUpYli_lB4g=w400-h300-no

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info