Certified used '12/13 Si, or new' 14 Mazda3?

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I have it narrowed down between these 2 cars. The Civic is obviously going to be the sportier choice, the 3 being the more conservative/gas efficient. I guess it's coming down to which one is going to make more sense financially. Anybody have any input or advice about buying used vs. new? I know the cars are in different classes, but nothing else is really doing it for me.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I thought the 13 Civics had the stronger motor, and better interior? Or was that re-design actually on the 12 models?

You consider some other brand new cars? You could probably get a Fiesta ST for a tick over $21k OTD.

The 12's started the 9th generation with the K24 motor. The 13's got a face lift, since people didn't like the styling as much on the 12's. Interior is close if not the same on both.

Fiesta would be too small for my tastes.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The 12's started the 9th generation with the K24 motor. The 13's got a face lift, since people didn't like the styling as much on the 12's. Interior is close if not the same on both.

Fiesta would be too small for my tastes.

Be honest, have you been in one?

I'm 6'2" and about 250lbs and fit in a Fiesta nicely, and I think it felt as roomy as a Focus (which would be in a similar class).

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
Be honest, have you been in one?

I'm 6'2" and about 250lbs and fit in a Fiesta nicely, and I think it felt as roomy as a Focus (which would be in a similar class).

I routinely carry all sorts of junk in my car, sometimes in addition to people. The 3 gives me a ton of room to move all sorts of crap. But you're right, I haven't driven one yet.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Honestly being a person who DDs a Civic I will say:

-I don't like the seats being a 5'11 person they seem made for shorter people. Maybe I'm nuts.
-The rack went out at 18K, and the trailing arms in the back went out at about 36K. Be sure to ask if they have replaced either. Lost half a set of tires on each one of these repairs, dealer covered 50%. I'm actually doing used tires on it these days just b/c I'm cheap, and the set I have on there has done way better than the new ones I got last time.
-The K24 is a gas guzzler that burns premium compared to the R18 I have. Can't tell you about how it compares to the Mazda though. If you don't drive a gajillion miles like I do it's probably fine.
-My wife has a Cruze, the clutch is SUPER stiff in it compared to the Cruze (5spd car.) Dunno how much I'd trust an auto in one, and how the SI's clutch compares. Box is overall pretty decent shifting and with the manual she's still fun to drive with the R18.
-Putting shit in the back of the Coupe is a bitch if you have say a baby seat or something.

Overall, my 08 is a well built car that gets awesome milage. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one honestly. I'm not really a fan of the dealerships though, there's an asshole at the Joliet one who tries to upsell me every time I'm in there even though the first words out of my mouth are "don't upsell me." Must be a Honda thing.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Be sure to check insurance. Loss data for the Si isn't too bad, but you never know if it's considered a hotter car than a base Mazda3 by the number crunchers.

I spent a few nights in a 2012 Si and the gas mileage was horrendous for being a four-banger. You'd be surprised how poorly the 2012 handles. It's sloppy compared to older ones. The engine is great but for some reason they went for comfort over handling. The 3 has a more athletic ride but is down on power, of course.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I routinely carry all sorts of junk in my car, sometimes in addition to people. The 3 gives me a ton of room to move all sorts of crap. But you're right, I haven't driven one yet.

We have a '13 Cooper S between [MENTION=4700]Miss Esa[/MENTION] and myself, and we've only had a genuine need for a larger vehicle for when we moved.

after owning what would probably be deemed as one of the most compact compacts you can buy, I'd be hard-pressed to buy something 'a little bit bigger' at the sacrifice of it being more boring/slower.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
It's starting to sound like the Mazda's taking the lead. It's definitely a better interior, just super slow. Handles beautifully though, won't mind taking highway onramps in that thing. Kind of bummed about the Si getting really bad mileage, I figured with the bigger 2.4 having more torque, it would take less effort to move around, as well as spreading that gear ratio out a little more.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
The '14 Mazda 3 will come on a new platform with far superior handling, steering feel, and structural integrity than the Civic, whose platform dates back to '06. Civic is geared pretty short with a gas guzzler (for a 4 banger) motor compared to the 3. I would bet the new 3 would get a lot better MPGs compared to an Si, not just a few MPG more, but a lot, in real world driving.

Another thing to consider, the Si is getting a refresh next year, whereas the 3 is fresh. I checked insurance costs between Mazda versus Honda (CX5 vs CRV, 3 vs Civic) last year and the difference was quite a bit.

Honestly if going sedan a decently equipped 2.0 Mazda 3 Touring is pretty close in price to a base Mazda 6 Sport, which has a lot more room, comes standard with the 2.5, and looks a helluva lot better IMHO with almost the same fuel economy. Make sure you check out both. Either one, especially the 6, will be hard to find in a manual though.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
The '14 Mazda 3 will come on a new platform with far superior handling, steering feel, and structural integrity than the Civic, whose platform dates back to '06. Civic is geared pretty short with a gas guzzler (for a 4 banger) motor compared to the 3. I would bet the new 3 would get a lot better MPGs compared to an Si, not just a few MPG more, but a lot, in real world driving.

Another thing to consider, the Si is getting a refresh next year, whereas the 3 is fresh. I checked insurance costs between Mazda versus Honda (CX5 vs CRV, 3 vs Civic) last year and the difference was quite a bit.

Honestly if going sedan a decently equipped 2.0 Mazda 3 Touring is pretty close in price to a base Mazda 6 Sport, which has a lot more room, comes standard with the 2.5, and looks a helluva lot better IMHO with almost the same fuel economy. Make sure you check out both. Either one, especially the 6, will be hard to find in a manual though.

I'm getting factory pricing, so I'll be ordering it. I've been told not to buy a 6, since they have a ton of issues with their entertainment system that won't be fixed until next year.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
The 2.0 skyactiv motor isn't fast but has never really left me feeling slow persay. It is odd going from my 300zx and my previous Maxima to the Mazda 3 just in I have to downshift a lot more then I am used to. Plus the 2014 gets better numbers then my 2012 as it gets the full 4-2-1 header vs what is on my car. I drive mine hard and get 32-33mpg on my mostly city commuting so I can't complain. It handles great although maybe a bit harsh for some people. Newer 2014 should be lighter and tighter though. I really don't want to test drive one as I am like 8 months away from paying off the 2012.

I do wish the Focus ST's were available when I was looking as it might have been a choice for me depending on mpg.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
The 2.0 skyactiv motor isn't fast but has never really left me feeling slow persay. It is odd going from my 300zx and my previous Maxima to the Mazda 3 just in I have to downshift a lot more then I am used to. Plus the 2014 gets better numbers then my 2012 as it gets the full 4-2-1 header vs what is on my car. I drive mine hard and get 32-33mpg on my mostly city commuting so I can't complain. It handles great although maybe a bit harsh for some people. Newer 2014 should be lighter and tighter though. I really don't want to test drive one as I am like 8 months away from paying off the 2012.

I do wish the Focus ST's were available when I was looking as it might have been a choice for me depending on mpg.

So you don't mind the 2.0 as a dd then? I've driven both, and think the '14s are much more refined. My only worry was that I was going to hate my life driving that slow of a car. But at more than 40 mpg on the highway, I'll survive.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I mean don't get me wrong I want my Z running so I can jump in it and have some fun with 3x the hp. If this was my only car my opinion would probably be different. I just have a long commute for work and this was the most fun I could find with the best gas mileage.

But I can take most onramps at 50-60 with nice summer tires on it and have autocrossed it once and had a blast. I never feel like I can't get out of my own way which I have felt in other cars on the highway. Gets up to 80 just fine for me. I love the shifter on it although the clutch pedal is super light compared to what I am used to.

If I was buying now though I would get the 2.5 as that would put me back to what I had in my Maxima with nice gas mileage at 185hp and 180ish tq. That is a want and not a need though.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I mean don't get me wrong I want my Z running so I can jump in it and have some fun with 3x the hp. If this was my only car my opinion would probably be different. I just have a long commute for work and this was the most fun I could find with the best gas mileage.

But I can take most onramps at 50-60 with nice summer tires on it and have autocrossed it once and had a blast. I never feel like I can't get out of my own way which I have felt in other cars on the highway. Gets up to 80 just fine for me. I love the shifter on it although the clutch pedal is super light compared to what I am used to.

If I was buying now though I would get the 2.5 as that would put me back to what I had in my Maxima with nice gas mileage at 185hp and 180ish tq. That is a want and not a need though.

Pretty much how I fell into it too. Everything else's suspension feels like it's made of jello... As long as I'm not struggling on the highway I'll be fine driving it. I noticed the same thing about the clutch when I first started driving it. Going from the heavy ACT HDSS on my skittle to the 3, I stalled it leaving the dealer :rofl:

I'd love the 2.5, but no manual option swayed me. Which is a shame, since pretty much everything you get moving up is something I was willing to pay for. Mazda dropped the ball in my opinion, zoom, zoom my ass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info