To go 4-link or stay with the leaf on my Camaro?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
This winter I will finally be stripping my 79 Camaro down. My buddy finally moved his pos out of my garage after 3 years, so i have room to work.

I have been eyeballing some 4-links. My purpose is to be an all around performer. Drag and auto-cross, while maintaining street manners and function lol.
Thoughts and recommendations? I've also been looking into after market subframes.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
There's a book called "how to make your muscle car handle" that describes an interesting way of adding a third link to eliminate wheel hop. Basically you use a single ladder bar that has a shackle at the front so if you experience standard up and down movement it will let it move, but otherwise it keeps it planted. Also look at pro-touring.com it's probably a bit more of what you're looking for if you want to go more all purpose. There are good and bad sides of leafs but they can handle.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
There's a book called "how to make your muscle car handle" that describes an interesting way of adding a third link to eliminate wheel hop. Basically you use a single ladder bar that has a shackle at the front so if you experience standard up and down movement it will let it move, but otherwise it keeps it planted.
hmmmm kinda like a '82+ fbody with their torque arm rear suspension....

:riski:

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Thanks, i've been browsing everywhere. Just been tossed between 4-link and leafs though. My dad always brags about how his 77 t/a hugged the road and all he did was 295/50-15 bfg radial t/'s and lakewood traction bars. Every 2nd f-body he had got them lol.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks, i've been browsing everywhere. Just been tossed between 4-link and leafs though. My dad always brags about how his 77 t/a hugged the road and all he did was 295/50-15 bfg radial t/'s and lakewood traction bars. Every 2nd f-body he had got them lol.
in the early 80s most of our parents were on drugs, so im sure all the cars "handled like on rails"........ rails/lines... same thing, lol

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
I was looking at that one in particular as well. But as u see it switches to coilovers
for a bolt in kit, thats reasonable as FUCK! and if you want the pro-touring feel, that is as good as it gets without breaking the back with a chassis shop.

otherwise, some good split monos, caltracks, and adjustable shocks are about all you need.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
hmmmm kinda like a '82+ fbody with their torque arm rear suspension....

:riski:

If they used leafs, sure. I'm going to probably try it on the van but they don't make cool, shiny bolt in link suspensions like that one for my shit either.

That is fucking awesome looking but I'd probably be looking at the front suspension and brakes long before getting excited about the back. If you read the limits you'll be unable to use anything bigger than an 11" tire or so. May not be a deal breaker for you but figure I'd throw it out because it says they make a version that includes a 9" housing if you are going that route. If it has an 8.5" I'd be really inclined to build it they're good axles. $2500 buys a lot of other parts though, especially when you may be able to get a high end sway bar that will give you the majority of the tuneability you want and let you dump the bank into the front end where it matters far more. The other thing is you'll probably still need some kind of sway bar, and you'll need coilovers which aren't included with that kit so keep those costs in mind too.

ED:hell if you can fabricate $2500 has a good chance of throwing a Ford IRS under it if you can fabricate.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Just slap the body on a C5 chassis.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383050360.981370.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1383050398.263923.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1383050420.247654.jpg

But seriously I'd stay leaf.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
The street or Pro-Touring stryle 4 link set ups don't work well on larger horsepower cars. Most wheelhop or just plain suck. A friend of mine cut his car to hell and added a 4-link widened inner rear tubs and aftermarket sub frame. My tweaked stock suspensioned car will dominate his in every way. So leaf springs can work well.

79vette

Wrenching
Feb 10, 2009
Batavia
stock 5.3 with better rod bolts in it. that way you will just crack piston before the Rod lets go and puts a window in your block. then if it does blow, stick some good rods and forged pistons in it. you don't need the extra cubes unless your shooting for 7's. stock 5.3's get people into the 8's, but they are on borrowed time at that point.

my 79 Camaro has cal trac's and rancho shocks, works well on the drag strip. I got a front suspension set up for drag racing so it is hard to judge how well works for touring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info