Ford MOD motors take 1,2,3 at the Engine Masters

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Last week was the Engine Masters. This is a competition that involves many of the top engine building teams in the country. The challenge does not just look at peak horse power and peak torque. It takes the average HP plus average TQ, then divides it by the engines cubic inchs and multiply that by 1000. The 1000 is just to make it a larger number. There are quite a few rules for the challenge and things like compression (11.5:1 max), 7,000 rpm limit, fuel and more are the same for everyone.

This year the top three numbers were from Ford modular motors. Including new best ever scores for team John Kaase. A year ago John had never done any work with these motors. lol

Anyone follow this event? You can see each days events and final standings here.

Popular Hotrodding does not allow you to link pictures. lol But click here to check out coverage. Including the 3000 mass air meter Accufab came up with. The dyno cell is set up to have fresh air coming strait down for a carb style set up. Well they needed a way to redirect the air into their front facing intake. Worked out as power picked up with it. haha

Also check out the headers on the Kaase motor. Split primaries?! Wowzers!

yqe0.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Here is a run down on the Kaase motor. Rumor has it they had a combo that made 100 peak hp more than they had at the challenge. But changed the combo to bring the average torque way up.

-11.5:1 CR per the rules
-Cobra R heads (same as GT500s)
-Cobra R intake with stock upper
-Cams--I can't disclose the specs
-stroke 4.7"
-bore 3.720"

Thats about it, it's a very simple, but expensive combination given that the crank was $4k and the BB block is about $6k. The heads are another $2k bare, add springs and valves at another $1.2k. The cams aren't your normal off the shelf grinds so they cost more than the average $1200 set. Then there's the $1000 lower intake and $2000 upper. The total is $17,400 before pistons, rods, bearings, gaskets, custom oil pan, TB, timing chains/tensioners, adjsutable cam gears, valve cover modded for distributor, and of course those awesome headers. The total without labor is probably near $20k. Oh, then there's the FAST engine management system...it just keeps adding up.

"Power output now tagged 721 peak horsepower. Torque was off the hook, with 600 lb-ft at just 3200 rpm, peaking at an astonishing 675 ft-lbs. Kaase’s effort bumped his score a remarkable 45.2 points to 2961.7." That is pretty insane. Especially since everyone will tell you MOD motors don't make torque. :rollpicard: I guess in the hands of the right person that is not the case. haha

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Wow, that torque number is awesome for a mod motor. I was going to ask if the powerband would ever work in a car or if these engines are dyno whores, but that makes it pretty clear at least some of these could work in a street-weight car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Wow, that torque number is awesome for a mod motor. I was going to ask if the powerband would ever work in a car or if these engines are dyno whores, but that makes it pretty clear at least some of these could work in a street-weight car.

I think you could get away running these engines as race motors. For a street car I have a feeling they wouldn't last or be as reliable as a detuned version of these motors. They employ a lot of tips and tricks to get every last HP out of these motors. Some I would think would not work as well on the street. But with some changes I can see them working fine on the street. But power will drop slightly.

A good example would be a buddy who ran NMRA Factory Stock. He was one of the top competitors for a couple years. Lots or tricks went into the motor. Like bearing clearances that were huge leading to leff friction and almost no oil pressure at idle. He partner in the car decided to take the car to a local cruise night. Well needless to say after the 15 mile drive the motor was toast. :rollpicard: So yeah, dyno & race motors do not usually make great street motors. lol

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Imagine one of them 4v's in a gutted fox and a stick....:drool:

Especially being able to rev it higher than the contest's 7000 RPM limit. I'd imagine that motor could go well in to the 8xxx range with some cams optimized to make power there as opposed to making the torque/power down lower.

Put a Liberty 5-speed behind it and it would be ridiculous.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
when money is not an issue these motors make killer power but the average joe could not put an engine together of that caliber and be able to afford to maintain it

Besides the cost of the big bore and stroker crank it wouldn't be bad at all. If someone would invest in an affordable stroker crank I think you would see more people running these motors n/a. Guys have run the 4.6 over 700 fwhp for a while. The added cubes (even with out the big bore) would be very helpful to make those HP numbers. Kaase actually said the limited bore spacing the MOD motors has isn't much of a issue. Interesting.

i feel like this entire competition was designed entirely for a mod motor to win :rofl:

Why do you say that? This is the first time the motor was used with good results. Chevy and Mopar motors have done very well in the past.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Any coyote guys say the ol 4.6/5.4 cant make na power or rev high :jg:

No, the only way to get the 4.6 to make power is to rev it to the moon. To take advantage of the large ports. Normally a 4.6 gets cams and headers and reves to 8,000-8,500 to make good power. They lack the stroke & cubes to produce torque and horse power. That is where these engines show "what can be". Someone just needs to come to market with cost effective stroker cranks for more builds like these.

They are good numbers for a na mod motor, but for the price I would build a bbc that would make over 1000 all day.

Again, if you could get a $500 stroker crank like you can for a SBF, SBC or LS1 you would see plenty of guys making bigger power with the MOD motor. And you have to remember, the power and torque get divided by the cubes. So a large inch BB could make 1,000 hp, but in the competition those cubes would kill the score. If you looked at the other motors in this competition you will see these three motors were also the smallest in the competition. Size has a lot to do with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info