Got another damned speeding ticket! Buying a radar detector....need advice.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Ok, so I got another speeding ticket the other day in Volo. This is 2 in the last 6 months. Before that it had been over 10 years since I had received any ticket of any kind. Who the hell knows why I am having bad luck lately, but I have decided to buy a radar detector in hopes that it will help keep me out of trouble.

I do not have a large budget to buy some super fancy one, so does anyone have advice on which ones to buy that work well enough and won't break the bank? :dunno:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Thanks a lot for the info so far guys! Yep, somewhere around $200 is my price range. Because I have a few different cars I think a V1 would be out because of the hardwired install; though I do love the conceal-ability of it. What is the legality of using radar detectors in IL? I have never looked it up to see if there is any issue.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Just bought a Passport 9500ix off of Ebay for $225. I seen that a lot were already bid up to just over $200, so why wait to try and save $15-$20? Screw that. Thanks fellas!

I plan to do a semi-hardwired install (QD clip to plug/unplug) for it up near my mirror so that it isn't obvious that I have one. It should look cleaner up there too. I have to check into what voltage & amperage these things operate off of so that I can see whether I have to run my own dedicated circuit up there of if I can get away with just tapping into existing power to the mirror.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I owned a V1 and it was a waste of money go with the 9500 if you must really have a radar. A Cop could be pointing there radar right at me and my v1 would do nothing. This was with the latest update. Again this is my experience with it and I have not bought another radar again, I was very disappointed with the V1

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
i used to have this shit... then i got lasered a few times.

i don't care what type of detector you got... cuz you're fucked.

I agree and disagree with the standard "what about the laser" comment. First, not all cops use lasers because they are more expensive. Second, and almost important, cops are people, and people are fucking lazy! So, why sit there actively hunting their prey when they can just sit back turn it on and still get tickets because there are always even lazier and more careless drivers to be caught. Also, traffic lights cannot aim a laser, so I assume that they are radar-based; which means a detector would be able to warn against them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ive avoided A LOT of tickets due to alerts. You are mistaken.

wat

I agree and disagree with the standard "what about the laser" comment. First, not all cops use lasers because they are more expensive. Second, and almost important, cops are people, and people are fucking lazy! So, why sit there actively hunting their prey when they can just sit back turn it on and still get tickets because there are always even lazier and more careless drivers to be caught. Also, traffic lights cannot aim a laser, so I assume that they are radar-based; which means a detector would be able to warn against them.

very very true.

i just became to reliant on it.. and most of the roads i drive on, lasers are very easy to use for cops- plenty of places to hide- long vision sights to be seen etc.

once the detector says "laser" you're fucked... cuz radar & laser work so different as many of you know... laser is just that- a beam... radar bounces off of fucking everything and that's why these nifty detectors figure out that shit so well... once you have been laser'd it's too late because your car was completely singled out.

i also got fucked when a cop was turning his radar off/on...

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
A detector is only part of a ticket avoidance plan. Drive smart, don't stand out and let the detector save you when you slip up.

A detector is only as good as the driver that owns it.

Agreed! When I am on long drives on the interstate I am on high alert if I am speeding well over the limit.

-I look as far ahead as I possibly can so that I can see a cop ahead before he has a chance to laser me.
-If I cannot see over a hill well then I will slow down until I can see at least about 300 yards ahead.
-I always slow down near road features like overpasses or on/offramps because it is easy for a cop to set a speed trap there that is virtually unavoidable.
-I always blend in with traffic and very very rarely am the frontman.
-I always try to travel in the slow lane if possible because I feel it garners less attention then traveling in the fast lane. I will pass, and then within a reasonable amount of time (aka not swerving like an idiot) get back over to the slow lane.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Stay like 10mph within the speed limit, dont get a ticket. That rule of thumb that usually helps me out. Ive been pulled over for everything BUT speeding. Exhaust, no plate, squealing the tires, etc.

you didn't reply to what I said at all :rofl:

your headlights/license plate could get lasered and your detector would have no fucking idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info