Brand New bike pricing off-season? Buying new stupid? Etc?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Seriously considering buying a brand new bike right as the season ends here to try to get the best deal, but I'm COMPLETELY green as far as buying motorcycles goes... I briefly had a 'beater' bike like 2 years ago, and had a lot of fun, but didn't have a place to keep it so I got rid of it.

I live in an apartment that allows bikes to be stored in parking spots, and there is a VERY small parking space right infront of my place that would be perfect. Additionally our complex has garages that I'll get one of as soon as they open up for seasonal storage. (but that is the reason for wanting a brand new bike instead of a used one).

Suggestions/Websites to help guide me to what sort of pricing I should be fighting for?

Also curious who has real-world experience with the bikes I'm considering (or even good website that has reviews of them that you trust)

I'm considering:

Honda CTX700
Honda NC700x
Suzuki SFV650

Any others that are similiar that I should consider? (I'm 6'2" and 250lbs at the moment... hoping to shed some weight)

Is it a waste of money to buy new, should I just try and look for a 3/4 year old bike of a comparable model to above? (EX SV 650)

cpulfer86

Oct 23, 2012
I have a 07 SV650 i bought new(ish) 50 miles on it. It has around 18k on it now. Havent done anything other then change the oil and tires. Its a fun bike very light and nimble. I did ride 600 miles in a day this summer and that got a little uncomfortable. I do have a sargent seat and an after market windscreen to help with the longer rides.

There is a new FZ-8 that you might want to look at

Also look at getting a new but last years model if you can find a dealership that still has one around

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I have a paranoia about buying a used bike that may have been dropped/damaged in some way that a novice wouldn't spot, and then having to deal with it.

Yes don't buy new. First time you drop it the value is going to go way down.
Just bring someone that knows about bikes with you. Take your time inspecting the bike. Take note of aftermarket stickers, painted plastics. Check the frame and forks and make sure nothing is wrong with them. Have someone ride it around and make sure the engine sounds good. Keep in mind most people won't let you test ride without letting them hold the cash.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I just bought a SV650 a month ago. I love it. THE SFV650 I believe is just like a special edition they did for 09-10. They dropped the SV650S and called it a Gladius instead. Basically the same bike as far as I know. I got it a great deal on it in my opinion (07, 3866 miles for 3200). I read a lot on them, they seem pretty reliable and a decent aftermarket when I decide to that this winter.

Also, I'm 6'1'' and I think it's the perfect height for me, so you should be good too. Don't know too much about the other bikes, but I think you should just get something a year or two old. You can get a low mileage bike for a great price, and x2 on just bring someone with that knows bikes.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
bikes are the only thing i prefer to buy new

IMO used bike prices are ridiculous most of the time. i've bought two gsxr 1000's new and done just fine. The most recent one is a 2011 that i bought new in 2013, so the dealer was obviously willing to work on the price

on my 08, i paid $11.5k for OTD with gear, which wasn't bad. on this one i paid 11.2k plus tax, but the MSRP was 13,700

it really just depends on the seller in my opinion, whether it be dealer or private owner. There are a lot of braindead private owners and a lot of dealers that do just fine selling quads for 8k and crotch rockets for 13k and don't want to budge on price. i don't know how they find buyers, but apparently they do

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info