Decent compact sedan?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
How will you use the car? People carrying, cargo carrying, solo commuting?

2012/13 Mazda 3 Skyactiv - Good gas mileage, great handling, small interior, pokey acceleration. Could likely snag a good deal with the 2014s coming out now.

Kia Forte - The new 2014 is amazing, older years are average and dated compared to anything else in the 2012/2013 range

Hyundai Elantra - Great features for the money, roomy, and good gas mileage, poor handling/performance.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have a chevy cruze Eco it's a decent car for the money, gets killer gas mileage for what it is and I think it looks somewhat sporty, its not really a fun car to drive tho its more of an appliance that gets you from point a to b without spending much on gas lol, honestly if it were my only car I would spend more and get into one of those awd turbo bmw's the 3 something something lol

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have a chevy cruze Eco it's a decent car for the money, gets killer gas mileage for what it is and I think it looks somewhat sporty, its not really a fun car to drive tho its more of an appliance that gets you from point a to b without spending much on gas lol, honestly if it were my only car I would spend more and get into one of those awd turbo bmw's the 3 something something lol

Plus 2 for the cruise eco. I have one as well. If you just want killer gas mileage and also decent interior features id do the cruze, however like he said its a total dog and not really fun to drive, if ur out of the power band you will know it cuz ull be hit by the bus ur trying to avoid

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
It'll be primarily to get to/from work. Occasional road trip car, which is why the Mazda 3 hatch is appealing to me. I just hate not being able to jump on chances to go on road trips because I'm worried my car won't make it, or because of the mileage+premium gas costs. Performance is not a priority, but if a car is a total dog I'd like to avoid it.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I have the 2012 skyactiv 3.. 155hp and 148 tq in a 3000 pound car is good enough for me at least daily driving it. I drive mine rather hard and still get 33mpg with mostly city driving so I can't complain. Rear seat room is a little tight but with the seats down I have fit a lot of oddball sized stuff in it. It does have a harsher/sportier ride then at least the focus, fit, cruze I drove in 2012.

I have the manual transmission although the automatic was a lot less clunky to me then most of the other dsg clutch based automatics.

2014's are getting the 2.5 motor with 185 hp if that interests you.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I have the 2012 skyactiv 3.. 155hp and 148 tq in a 3000 pound car is good enough for me at least daily driving it. I drive mine rather hard and still get 33mpg with mostly city driving so I can't complain. Rear seat room is a little tight but with the seats down I have fit a lot of oddball sized stuff in it. It does have a harsher/sportier ride then at least the focus, fit, cruze I drove in 2012.

I have the manual transmission although the automatic was a lot less clunky to me then most of the other dsg clutch based automatics.

2014's are getting the 2.5 motor with 185 hp if that interests you.

Do you have the sedan or the hatch? And the 2.5 is fine, unless mileage suffers. I'm coming from a 400ish hp car, so I'm pretty sure they're both going to feel equally slow to me.

I'm also preferring a manual transmission, if that makes any difference.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I have the 2.0 hatchback. They only are offering the 2.5 on the 2014.

Manual transmission is really nice compared to what was in my maxima at least. They completely redesigned the transmission for this motor. It does get 1mpg less then the automatic.. but still more fun.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
I have the 2.0 hatchback. They only are offering the 2.5 on the 2014.

Manual transmission is really nice compared to what was in my maxima at least. They completely redesigned the transmission for this motor. It does get 1mpg less then the automatic.. but still more fun.

Oh yeah, I'll take 1 mpg less for a little more entertainment while I drive.

BTW, I was looking to grab a 2013 sometime in January when my payments ended on the Neon. When do they normally start slashing prices on last year's stock?

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Of all these I like the seating/dash arrangement in the Mazda 3 the best. Dash is far away and low, about the polar opposite of the Focus, which I find confining compared to the 3. Should be able to get a good deal as said earlier as the new 3 is out now. Also of all mentioned the 3 is the best one for any chance of driving enjoyment.

If you get the 3 spring for the Touring, a lot of useful stuff in there for not too much more.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Oh yeah, I'll take 1 mpg less for a little more entertainment while I drive.

BTW, I was looking to grab a 2013 sometime in January when my payments ended on the Neon. When do they normally start slashing prices on last year's stock?

Now. There's $2,000 cash back and 0% for 72 months on 2013s. 2014s are on their way to dealers as we speak.

Edit: Looks like there are a ton on sale now. We're showing 2,155 2014 units in our national inventory on Cars.com, and 16,537 2013s.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
seeing as though you have an srt4 would you consider getting a Dart? I think they look pretty sharp for being a compact sedan.

I love the way they look, and that's actually what started this search in the first place. The problem is apparently they aren't as efficient as advertised, and the turbo motor (the one I want) needs premium gas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info