Need transmission replaced? WTF? T56 in Cobra

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Transmission is in my 03 Cobra.

I've had what appeared to be a bad chattering clutch for a while. It wasn't too bad when it was cold, but after driving around for a while it would get worse. I figured I'd finally bring it in to get fixed since it was becoming annoying.

They're telling me that it's not the clutch and the whole transmission needs to be rebuilt / replaced. What's strange is that they really couldn't tell me what failed.

What could it possibly be? Have you ever heard of this happening to any other 03 / 04 Cobra's or any other T56 transmission?

It was working fine up until last year when these chattering symptoms slowly appeared and gradually got worse.

I don't race the car and I'm not hard on it at all with the exception of being to the drag strip 10 years ago when it was bone stock. Made three passes and got a best of 12.8@111. Since then, I've mostly babied the thing. I think it only sees engine RPM's above 3000 maybe twice per year. Never redline it or hard shift it.

Any ideas?

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Input shaft. Its most likely bent, or less likely the bearing outer race is bad. Seen dozens. Verify with a dial indicator, but can usually be seen with naked eye at the point you are describing. Super easy job. Do a new pilot bushing, fidanza flywheel, and Centerforce DF while you are in there. IMO go with the D&D they fit better out of the box, probably no shim needed. Dont know if they ever started shipping with bearing though, so call them and have them get you a bearing too.

Last edited:

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Well, I talked to them again today and they said it was indeed the clutch.
I guess we'll see if that's the case. If I get the car back and can engage the clutch without it clattering, I'll assume success.

Once clutch is engaged, the car is fine in all gears and shifts fine. Still not ruling out other issues until I can verify that it's really fixed. If not, I might have to take it elsewhere or to 01bluesnakes house. Definitely going to go with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and upgraded flywheel. Might as well get it right.

On another note, once it's fixed I want to change the transmission fluid. I've heard that fluid other than what Ford supplies can improve shift feel. I've heard good things about Amsoil ATF and use their engine oil which seems decent.

Can I use any good ATF or does this transmission require special fluid or friction modifiers?

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info