Help me with cars

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Current ride: 2010 535i, tuned, 14mpg because I beat the snot out of it.

So now that we're in LA I'm driving a lot more and I'm not entirely sold on my current car situation. The smart money would be on selling the car and getting a Prius but I'm just not going to do that. So let's scratch that.

So I pose a challenge to TCG. I'm looking for something quick (sub 5.5 second 0-60) that gets excellent gas mileage, that is a luxury car. I don't need to sell my car and I'm not sure I even want to but an $600 gas bill every month is hard to look at.

Call me predictable but I keep coming back to the Model S. It checks all the boxes for me. Luxurious, handles amazingly, get's amazing mileage (when converted to traditional calculations) and most importantly, if I beat the snot out of it it really doesn't lose a lot of range and even if it does, it costs almost nothing to fill. I did the math and it would save us about $4000 - $5000 a year to own one. That's taking into account cost of the vehicle, gas, insurance, etc.

I'm not sure it's worth committing to a $90,000 car for a savings of $4000 a year though.

So what are my other options? Something comparable to the BMW, comparable to a Tesla. Higher end, great mileage, not dog-shit slow. I don't think there's a car but if there is tell me what it is.

SKYLINE

Regular
Apr 21, 2013
The 2013 Nissan maxima 3.5 sv
Get's 19mpg city and 26mpg highway. 0-60 in 5.8. And with good/decent handling. And it's only 40k

Not bad eh?

But you want more luxury and probably rwd xD

You could get the new BMW m3 hybrid with 300hp and it gets 30mpg I think.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The 2013 Nissan maxima 3.5 sv
Get's 19mpg city and 26mpg highway. 0-60 in 5.8. And with good/decent handling. And it's only 40k

Not bad eh?

But you want more luxury and probably rwd xD

You could get the new BMW m3 hybrid with 300hp and it gets 30mpg I think.

Alright, I'm not trying to be harsh but did you even read my post? :) That's slow, not luxurious, front wheel drive, and doesn't even get what I'd consider to be good gas mileage, let alone great gas mileage. At 19mpg my savings would be almost nothing and I'd be driving a car that isn't even in the same ballpark as what I'm driving now, at least with respect to what matters to me.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'd be looking at a new V6 Accord EX-L.

Ok, I'm going to re-emphasize luxury here. And when I re-emphasize luxury what I'm saying is that I don't want to drive an Accord. I can go out and grab a Lincoln MKZ that will get 45mpg for 35k. If I wanted a run of the mill, mediocre sedan I'd grab that.

I want something quick, something higher end, something sport oriented (rear wheel drive). Think BMW 5 series or better.

In other words, pretend like I came in here and said to talk me out of a Tesla. Find me a car comparable to the Tesla's performance, luxury, sportiness etc that isn't the Tesla. A hybrid Accord isn't comparable to a Model S.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer... and after reading my first post I suppose I really wasn't clear.

Bottom line, your friend just walked into the room and said he's going to buy a Model S tomorrow. You're all like "bro, fuck that. The ____________ is faster, better looking, gets amazing gas mileage and it has a built in ball massager." Fill in the blank.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
park avenue ultra

/thread

ge9y9ejy.jpg

+1

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This thread will likely further convince you of the Model S. Or a Maxima.

But, you may want to look into the Lexus GS 450h. It's the fastest GS trim and stupid quick for being a hybrid. Zero to 60 mph in 5.6, according to Lexus. They geared it more toward performance than economy, and its 29/34 mpg can likely be exceeded by someone who's in tune with how the car works to get the best mpg. The new GS is a big step up in interior niceness than the old one. Impressive car. No tunability for performance, though.

I'd also second Will's 528 suggestion. Identical combined mpg as the 3 series with the 2.0.

Check out this tool: Vehicle Recommender: Car Search by Features & Options

It's fairly outdated as far as options and doesn't have the 2014 drop down yet. Might be able to give you an idea what's out there based on budget and mpg.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Entry level bmw isn't luxury. It's an entry level bmw.

U want luxury..7 or 8 series. The rest are dime a dozen "me too"cars.

I find this humorous considering that you have never owned a nice car, let alone a luxury one. Just a bit of theorizing happening here. :ugh:

I think the Cadillac CTS-V is a nice option and they can get good MPG when you aren't beating them. Then again, any car that you are beating on is bound to get shit MPG at that moment in time, so I consider that a non-issue. However, the issue with the caddy is that it still is a GM interior which aren't known for their quality. I think that going with another BMW or an Audi would be a good idea if you do not end up choosing the S. As much as you have talked about the S lately I honestly think that if you don't end up getting that then you will likely have buyer's remorse about any other car you get, unless one REALLY jumps out at you!

Cliffnotes: Get the S because it is apparent that you really want it and will likely be disappointed with any other choice because you feel you will be missing out on your #1 pick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info