Buy this?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My daughter wants to buy a used car in the $2,500 range. She has the cash and is dragging me to see this one tonight. 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

Opinions? I think it has a lot of miles and a lot of age but $2,500 isn't going to buy perfection. I'm looking for a reasonably dependable car she can use to get back and forth to school.

Carfax is good. 3 owners, no unusual issues. This owner says he has all service records from himself and the previous owner. He mentions changing the oil every 3,000 and replacing the AC compressor a while back which is more than most people do with an old car.

This is the first car we are looking at for her and, just on principle, I hate to buy the first car I see but I don't know if I'll find much better for $2,500. Blue Book says $2,900 in good condition. What would you guys do?

00v0v_g1cmv4XssUd_600x450.jpg

00W0W_dtvzeAgXnxT_600x450.jpg

00D0D_kKriYAYIgn8_600x450.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
LOL! We're talking $2,500 guys. She's not going to get anything great for that amount. Not every Northstar blows up. This guy just had a baby and bought a van so he's selling his older car. Dealer obviously didn't offer him shit for it so he's selling it himself.

I appreciate the comments. If you guys can find any other rides in the $2,500 range that would be better, I'll look for that model.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Aurora went for over $35K back in '98. It's a more expensive car than my Caddy. No wonder they only sold 25K of them each year.

I get it, though. You guys don't like Northstars.

as i said before.. isn't it the weird like 4.4 northstar though or something.

why chance something that is known to be occasionally unreliable... when something exists that is reliable, parts are readily accessible fucking everywhere, and gets better mpg.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Aurora V8, smaller displacement Northstar. But yes, I will echo what everyone else has been saying, stay away, stay far away. Do you like setting fire to money, because that's what you'll be doing with that $2500.

I've had a few friends with the Aurora V8, none of them ever drove or operated properly. NONE

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
as i said before.. isn't it the weird like 4.4 northstar though or something.

why chance something that is known to be occasionally unreliable... when something exists that is reliable, parts are readily accessible fucking everywhere, and gets better mpg.

4.0. My wife and daughter WANT to go look at this one. I like Auroras. Thought they were overpriced when new but they had some great reviews. Either the authors were shilling for GM or the car did have some admirers.

I'll make another check on the car sites for a Buick or similar before we go and check the Aurora out thoroughly. If it has any issues, I'll pass on it and take the grief from the family.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info