How much power is "enough"?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
500hp, similar level of torque. I can't fathom needing anything more out of a reasonable weight street car.

You get to a certain point and the car becomes too much of a chore to drive. I'd rather have a 500hp car I can go wide open throttle in than a 700hp car I have to feather the throttle in, keep it straight, hope it hooks, hope it doesn't break, etc.

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
I would say I'm happy with where I'm at with the car. Do I want more... of course, but I'm never going to be the fastest and I'm never going to have the most power so why keep dumping $$$ into it especially since it sits 75% of the year. You say drive it more then... I would, but I teach in a bad area and would never want to risk someone doing something to it. Plus it's around a 100 mile round trip and I get like 14mpg.

Then comes the $ part... 2 routes of finishing up if I did go on: N/A or Power Adder....

N/A: Fast Intake, TB, upgrade the air intake, misc.. and retune = up to 2.5k

Power adder: TVS 2300 + misc and retune = maybe 8-9k

I can't justify any of that on a car that I already had to put in that due to a spun bearing :( and that's when I was living at home. Now with a home and young family to take care of the car is a second thought. I put/mod things here and there, but we are talking a couple dollars here, maybe a couple hundred there... I do hope to finish up a N/A build in the next couple of years, but other things have to be done first.

The GTO is more I could ever ask for.... I DD an Aveo5!!

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
I don't think there's a power level that you will ever want to stop at. At least that's how it is for me so far.
I remember thinking 350whp will be enough, I'll be more than happy with that. Then I got 350whp and I was happy for a month, and then I was thinking 450whp...450whp will be more than enough to keep me happy for a long time. Then I got 450 and was happy for about a month again. I'm up to almost 650whp and I'm already kind of thinking what if I push to 700 or 750?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The M3 had around 625hp, and I know if I still had it, I would have put a smaller pulley on there and dyno tuned it to try and get around 700hp. That would have been enough for me on a RWD car. On the R8 with quattro, the sky's the limit. Depending how long I have that car, I could see it having....

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
The M3 had around 625hp, and I know if I still had it, I would have put a smaller pulley on there and dyno tuned it to try and get around 700hp. That would have been enough for me on a RWD car. On the R8 with quattro, the sky's the limit. Depending how long I have that car, I could see it having....

I was going to say something similar. FWD, RWD, and AWD would have different "enough" power limits for me.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

twins soon?

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
When my car was in the 450's it was very fun on the street and quick enough at the track.

There is never enough power. You just get used to the way your car is.

Right now the power my car makes it is not as much fun in the street. But it's more fun at the strip. To bad I can ever get there.

IMO 500 to the pavement is a good number to have fun both at the track or on the street.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info